• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

I agree with all of that except the saluting part. There's no magic in the hat when it comes to saluting. It's just one of those little rules we made up. The drill can simply become salute with or without a hat.

The real question is whether or not saluting per se is an anachronism worth keeping and I honestly haven't given that a thought. My gut says keep it. Hell, even Chinese communists salute. Besides, salutes are a sign of respect that goes both ways otherwise officers wouldn't return a salute with a salute. At least that's what I was taught on my BOTC and my drill sergeants made sure I knew to always, always return a salute.

🍻
Not too mention old prick WOs like me loose their fun. I once deliberately split my course staff NCOs heading to the mess hall, about 30 feet apart because we saw a young 2LT Infantry Cap badge young fellar. Salute after salute after salute. No breaks.
Yes I enjoy simple minded entertainment.

Traditions like that have a place on the parade square, and in other ceremonies/routines, but don't add value in the daily routine.

It doesn't need to be big parades, simple things are like reporting to the OOW, crossing the brow of a ship, etc., are all mini routine ceremonial events. They are a link back to the past and tradition far more than a groggy high five in a poorly lit parking lot at 0530 is.

Edit: The Avr getting jacked up at at sunrise because they couldn't see the half hidden subdued bars on a Capt.'s flight suit slip-ons isn't thinking about the traditional link back to the days of buying commissions from the crown.
I’m Army - and the Army has its way of doing things. I know the RCN and RCAF have their l traditions as well. Let each element decide for itself.

Maybe those occasions you mention should call for a ceremonial uniform and organization, vice service dress and anyone ?
Ceremonial uniforms are sometimes purchased by an association (NOT public funds) so that can be an option still

I know. And as we've seen the last 5 years, regulations and policy can change.
I have been out 4 1/2 years. Am I missing something else besides the relaxed hair/nails/tattoos/parrot on the shoulder dress modifications

I have been out 4 1/2 years. Am I missing something else besides the relaxed hair/nails/tattoos/parrot on the shoulder dress modifications

Boots, Weed, Executive Curl, Pips and Crowns, Beret Colors (Army) ... RCAF Ranks Officers (Coloring) and NCMs insignia (Design and Color)

I will say this having worn both in amateur theatre productions. If you have to carry a sword for a ceremonial function go for the Sam Browne belt ....far more comfortable.

Not too mention old prick WOs like me loose their fun. I once deliberately split my course staff NCOs heading to the mess hall, about 30 feet apart because we saw a young 2LT Infantry Cap badge young fellar. Salute after salute after salute. No breaks.
Yes I enjoy simple minded entertainment.

My Pl 2IC did something like that to me once as a wind up, at our Recruit Depot.

I just stood to the side at the salute while they all marched by me in a sort of ragged assed march past and, when they'd all gone, gave the Sgt (last in the order of march) a wink and carried on to the mess ;)

The poll found most taxpayers were not supportive of the changes and viewed them as “unprofessional”. It doesn’t matter how switched on you might be, the general public don’t like their uniformed services looking like 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag.

And taxpayer ( voter ) support is needed for the pay, benefits and working conditions our uniformed services deserve.

Take away the ships. Take away the uniformity that existed for over a century. Take away Heart of Oak. Take away the inducements to join. Take away the inducements to stay in. Maybe we don’t really need a navy…after all, that’s something those imperialist nations have. And thanks to Justin we’re better than that.

Back