• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US vs Canada

recceguy said:
Til the dog hits on your car or luggage. You don't need to be carrying to have the dog alert. If it alerts and they think you're lying, they can detain you while they tear your car apart and leaving it on the floor.

Also, this isn't just a little white lie you're telling your parents. Get caught lying about it, you are finished going to the States.
Again, 5 million canadians are currently using pot.

You don't think they are currently lying about it?

What changes?

Altair said:
Give the free market a year or two to adjust to the demand, and watch prices drop.

A lot of people will make the switch as the price drops when the supply meets the demand, and with the added incentive to not run afoul of the law when buying cannabis.

Long term, 10 years or so into this, there wont be many street dealers of pot, most people will be buying from legitimate outlets. I'm sure these same issues were brought up during alcohol prohibition coming to an end.

That hasn't worked so well with ordinary tobacco cigarettes. Some estimates go as high as one third of cigarettes sold in Ontario being illegal ones.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/contraband-cigarettes-ontario-1.3948898

:cheers:

That's because the province keeps using tobacco as a cash cow

GAP said:
That's because the province keeps using tobacco as a cash cow

You think marijuana will be any different?

FJAG said:
That hasn't worked so well with ordinary tobacco cigarettes. Some estimates go as high as one third of cigarettes sold in Ontario being illegal ones.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/contraband-cigarettes-ontario-1.3948898

Maybe a flawed comparison in that tobacco is a relatively uncontrolled product available for purchase at any "unlicensed" corner retailer whereas cannabis will (according to current Ontario plans) be available at only a limited number of government agency outlets.  The use profile is also different.  For those stupid few who still smoke, it is common to partake of a smoke beginning in the morning and continuing in short regular intervals throughout the day.  Cannabis use is different, okay, there are probably a small cadre of potheads who have a doobie lit all through the day but they won't be in a group joining the cigarette smokers commiserating at least 9 metres from the entrance to their workplace.

How much of that illegal tobacco is sold through supposedly legitimate retailers who are the ones trying to benefit from a lower non-taxed wholesale price with the end consumer maybe even unaware that they have bought an untaxed product?  A better comparison would be alcohol which, though there is bootlegging, is a much less problem.

Altair said:
Again, 5 million canadians are currently using pot.

You don't think they are currently lying about it?

What changes?

Pot being legal in Canada and illegal in others, means it's more likely you be asked about it, and as I recall it can linger in the system for 2-3 days, meaning if they decide to test you, and your positive, then you could be denied entry. People already have a bad habit of not cluing in that crossing a border is entering another country, I suspect you will see an uptick in pot related issues.

I think it stays in the system for 30 days enjoy,I will stick with alcohol. :D

Apparently drug testing at camps has led people to use Crack instead of pot as it leaves the system faster.

Colin P said:
Apparently drug testing at camps has led people to use Crack instead of pot as it leaves the system faster.

Look at the military, if you were to drug test people on a Sunday morning (so those who partied on Friday and Saturday would be caught) I guarantee you would find a ton of cocaine in many peoples systems as it is preferred by many to avoid getting caught.

Considering the apparent reality that about 1/20th of the population have something of a psychotic reaction to pot, I do have to wonder what that might lead to once it becomes legal and thus more widespread?

No different than alcohol I'd say.

Plenty of people can go out for a drink, or have a few drinks at home, and be fine.  Always some dummy somewhere who has a negative reaction to it, and acts out in stupid ways.  Hopefully smart enough to avoid it, but rarely the case.

This will just be another version of that, I'm thinking.  Stupid people who can't control themselves while under the influence of something, and yet still partake in said activity... 

Finally calling out Canada's poor expenditures on defence.

President Trump:
We shouldn’t have to buy our friends with bad Trade Deals and Free Military Protection!

Attachments

• Canada.JPG
    Canada.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 158
Rifleman62 said:
Finally calling out Canada's poor expenditures on defence.

President Trump:

Finally?

And what defence of Canada has the US actually paid for?

jmt18325 said:
Finally?

And what defence of Canada has the US actually paid for?

NORAD is probably one example although Canada makes a contribution so its not one sided.

tomahawk6 said:

NORAD is probably one example although Canada makes a contribution so its not one sided.

Isn't it funded by the countries on a per capita basis? 

Maybe the headquarters, but there's a gross mismatch in numbers of available aircraft.

Back