• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US VS G7

Well, you've begun here about every fourth or fifth minute with a post about Trump's policies....

>Targeted tariffs to inflict maximum pain in america

I'm not sure we can inflict "maximum" pain.  I doubt we can, comparatively, inflict much pain at all.

Brad Sallows said:

I'm not sure we can inflict "maximum" pain.  I doubt we can, comparatively, inflict much pain at all.

Perhaps while we're at it we can tell the USA we will only accept goods from companies that have qualified all their employees on Gender Based Analysis+

How about just cutting off your nose to spite yourself.Trump when he came into office got the pipeline moving creating jobs on both sides of the border.If Hill had won that wouldn't have happened.

tomahawk6 said:
How about just cutting off your nose to spite yourself.Trump when he came into office got the pipeline moving creating jobs on both sides of the border.If Hill had won that wouldn't have happened.
I don't think hill would have said she was going to tear up nafta,  and start hitting Canada with tariffs.

Net loss.

That's fine though. Job losses due to higher costs due to the new tariffs have begun,  and tariffs on american business from european,  canadian,  mexican, Chinese governments are starting to be put in place.

Let's see how america likes the repercussions of a global trade war.

MAGA

Infanteer said:
Well, you've begun here about every fourth or fifth minute with a post about Trump's policies....
I was disappointed in the man a long time ago. That disappointed is quickly spreading to the Americans who put him in power.

Altair said:
I was disappointed in the man a long time ago. That disappointed is quickly spreading to the Americans who put him in power.

I was happy Hillary lost but not pleased that Trump won.  I honestly thought that things would be worse under Hillary.

I think I was wrong.

Altair said:

45% approval rating, highest since January.  Same approval rating Obama had at the same time in his run.

Brad Sallows said:

Trade with the United States accounts for @ 20% of our GDP. American trade with Canada accounts for @ 1% of their GDP. You cam base the rest of your analysis on that metric....

Thucydides said:
Trade with the United States accounts for @ 20% of our GDP. American trade with Canada accounts for @ 1% of their GDP. You cam base the rest of your analysis on that metric....
of course. Canada would get crushed in any trade war with america.

Thankfully,  Europe is putting tariffs on american good,  Mexico is putting tariffs on american goods,  china is putting tariffs on american goods,  and things are already getting more expensive for american businesses and we are starting to see job losses already.

America can easily win a trade war versus any one individual nation. America cannot win a trade war versus the world.

Altair said:

Thankfully,  Europe is putting tariffs on american good,  Mexico is putting tariffs on american goods,  china is putting tariffs on american goods,  and things are already getting more expensive for american businesses and we are starting to see job losses already.

America can easily win a trade war versus any one individual nation. America cannot win a trade war versus the world.

So in your opinion then Canada should take one for the team since we're likely the one country in that "coalition" the stands the most to lose?

GR66 said:
So in your opinion then Canada should take one for the team since we're likely the one country in that "coalition" the stands the most to lose?
Mexico is pretty integrated into the american economy and they are on board with tariffs as well.

Let's be clear,  america is starting a trade war with its number 1 trading partner,  its number 2 trading partner(canada,  and we are the largest market for US exports,  tariffs we put on america hurt more than any other country, Mexico being second) ,  its number 3 trading partner,  its number 4 trading partner,  its number 5 trading partner,  its number 7 trading partner and its number 8 trading partner.

Make no mistake,  the countries that the  US is deciding to mess with can do more collective damage to the US economy than the US can do to theirs.

Unfortunately this is a race to see who can avoid hitting the bottom.

In the end,  if this escalates, we are looking at a big global reccession,  and for what? Thanks america.

Altair said:

Can't they?
The US provides 320 million dollars of aid to Mexico annually.  Forbes suggests the U.S. Gives Financial Aid to 96% of All Countries.

If the US comes up with  fancy #NotOneMorePenny plan a lot of countries will be in a shittier place. I think in your crusade to hate everything Trump you're underestimating how many countries get handouts from the US and just what kind of damage the US can do when they start swinging.

Jarnhamar said:
Can't they?
The US provides 320 million dollars of aid to Mexico annually.  Forbes suggests the U.S. Gives Financial Aid to 96% of All Countries.

If the US comes up with  fancy #NotOneMorePenny plan a lot of countries will be in a shittier place. I think in your crusade to hate everything Trump you're underestimating how many countries get handouts from the US and just what kind of damage the US can do when they start swinging.
please,  do enlighten me on how much foreign aid the USA gives China,  Canada,  Japan,  Germany,  the UK and France.

You know,  those countries that America is trying to win a trade war with.  Again,  if america wants to take down the whole global economy,  and make itself into a pariah in order to achieve its goal of complete trade balance or america only friendly deals,  that's up to them. It says more about the sad stat america finds itself in than it does about the rest of the global community.

Millions.

2012  The U.S. disbursed $33.2 billion—$19 billion in economic assistance to 184 countries and $14.2 billion in military assistance to 142 countries. 
I'm sure a lot of those countries have business and trade relationships with aforementioned G7 countries and I don't think the US would be above putting political and economic pressure on those countries in order to in turn pressure the G7 ones.

I know I know. We'll see the evil Trump empire fall "in a few months".

hand outs to 184 and 142 countries. Trumps approval rating seems to suggest Americans are more supportive of what he's talking about than you want to believe.

Jarnhamar said:
Millions.

2012  The U.S. disbursed $33.2 billion—$19 billion in economic assistance to 184 countries and $14.2 billion in military assistance to 142 countries. 
I'm sure a lot of those countries have business and trade relationships with aforementioned G7 countries and I don't think the US would be above putting political and economic pressure on those countries in order to in turn pressure the G7 ones.

I know I know. We'll see the evil Trump empire fall "in a few months".

hand outs to 184 and 142 countries. Trumps approval rating seems to suggest Americans are more supportive of what he's talking about than you want to believe.
Yes,  of course.

I'm sure all those crap hole countries(the american presidents words)  will side with America in a true global trade dispute.

Let's look at the numbers.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/08/foreign-aid-these-countries-are-the-most-generous/

America 30 billion

Germany 20 billion

UK 19 billion

France 10 billion

Huh. So the top 3 Euro donors top Americas contributions. So much for that.

The US has a huge open market that many countries want to sell to.With a booming economy with goods and services in demand its even more attractive.

The free world that the US provides 142 countries with military assistance to? Okay.

Back