• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAdm Norman - Supply Ship contract: Legal fight

brihard

Army.ca Legend
Mentor
Reaction score
Mercedes Stephenson from CTV is reporting that VCDS Adm. Norman has been 'relieved of military duties' by the CDS, and that the head of the navy will fill in VCDS. Little further yet. Anyone got any word on this?

- mod edit to add year to thread title -

Apparently, as reported, it was done with a letter.  That to me sounds very peculiar.

Not at all. Letters are used to provide clarity and a traceable record.

The letter is on Twitter.

The CBC article.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/norman-military-relieved-1.3937401

I would expect a letter for sure.

This is not a US cop show with the Chief just walking in and saying "give me your badge and gun and go home".

What I find a little more bizarre is that the twitter confirmation that Mercedes Stephenson received does use the peculiar "relieved of  military duties". What other type of duties does the VCDS have? I just find it weird that there was a need to specify. instead of just saying "relieved of duty"

Oldgateboatdriver said:

This is not a US cop show with the Chief just walking in and saying "give me your badge and gun and go home".

What I find a little more bizarre is that the twitter confirmation that Mercedes Stephenson received does use the peculiar "relieved of  military duties". What other type of duties does the VCDS have? I just find it weird that there was a need to specify. instead of just saying "relieved of duty"

yeah, the letter would have gone out on Friday...peculiar indeed.

I would think the proper process would include a face to face with his superiors.

The way this is done opens the door for all sorts of speculation.

Yup- sudden punting versus request for resignation, etc etc... Speculation will be rampant on this, hopefully they can get something out this afternoon to clarify what's going on here. Unfortunately the nature of is easily leads one to worry the worst.

I checked the references on the letter that was published- no clues there, just the normal regulations on command authority, delegation of financial approvals, etc.

Global news reports same and has copy of the CDS letter:

http://globalnews.ca/news/3183588/vice-chief-of-defence-staff-relieved-of-duties-without-explanation/

Obviously there would be a face to face meeting. That's when he would be handed the letter, right after he has been informed.

The letter is what makes it official and remains recorded in the files of the CDS' office. There is a process for these things and a written notification is one of the requirements.

Personally, I hope they come out with some sort of explanation soon. Innocent until proven guilty is fine as legal concept and protects the individual, but the sudden removal from office of such a high ranking defence official has to be explained, even if only to specify the general category of allegations being investigated without specifics, so that the public may know if national security is at stake.

Probably best to keep speculation out of any discussion really until more facts are known.  The media is sniffing everywhere to get a scoop on this.

I am not speculating in any ways. In fact, avoiding rumours and speculations is the very reason why such action as was taken here with regards to someone so high in the hierarchy must be explained to the public and cannot remain hidden in some sort of cloud hanging over the man's career.

The public deserves no less, and so does Mark.

Oldgate,

This wasn't directed specifically at you.  More of a general comment in that regard.  The media lurks here at times and I suspect they smell blood in the water what with some of the media attention the CAF and DND has gotten in the last year or so.

Cheers.

*Admins...apologies, pls merge with other thread* Cheers

In an unexpected move, Vice-Admiral Mark Norman has been relieved of his duties as vice-chief of the defence staff – the second most powerful position in the Canadian Armed Forces.

The military is offering no explanation for this extreme measure which took place Monday morning.

Vice-Adm. Norman has served in the Forces for 36 years and was previously in charge of the Royal Canadian Navy.

Canada’s top soldier General John Vance, the chief of the defence staff, made the change in an order dated Friday that went out Monday.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/second-ranked-soldier-in-canadian-armed-forces-relieved-of-duty/article33632281/

You are getting Trump and the CDS mixed up  :rofl:

dapaterson said:
Not at all. Letters are used to provide clarity and a traceable record.

The letter is on Twitter.

Just a figure of speech. You are reading too much into it, and like someone else pointed out, what other duty does the VCDS have other than Military? Don't forget it's a news publication and the media is just being specific in case the average public didn't know is my guess, and could it just be a case of medical leave jusdging by the quote below?

So far the Department of National Defence has not provided any explanation for the move, which is apparently temporary and outlined in a brief letter dated Jan. 13.

Oldgateboatdriver said:

beachdown said:
Just a figure of speech. You are reading too much into it, and like someone else pointed out, what other duty does the VCDS have other than Military? Don't forget it's a news publication and the media is just being specific in case the average public didn't know is my guess, and could it just be a case of medical leave jusdging by the quote below?

That quote suggests nothing of the sort.

Remius said:
That quote suggests nothing of the sort.
Exactly.

Yet you posting "...they smell blood in the water what with some of the media attention the CAF and DND has gotten in the last year or so," makes oblique reference to the spate of recent media attention on sexual impropriety in the military. 

Just as there is NO indication that VAdm Norman is ill, there is EQUALLY NO suggestion of impropriety.

But that's the problem when people who haven't the vaguest clue of what's going on feel a need to post.    :facepalm:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/second-ranked-soldier-in-canadian-armed-forces-relieved-of-duty/article33632281/

Back