• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Verification of Former Service (VFS) [Merged]

• Thread starter maple_leaf_forever
  • Start date
Long time coming update:

I figure that I should wrap this topic up with an update.  After being sworn in on Oct 14, 2009, I arrived at CFB Esquimalt on Oct 21 and happily awaited my first course (NETPO), which started in Jan 2010.  I progressed through the MARS training and successfully graduated on March 4, 2011 upon which I was posted to HMCS ALGONQUIN. I joined the ship at sea on March 7.  It was the lottery of postings as the ship was scheduled to sail a lot.  I was very fortunate to sail for a missile firing exercise, numerous Task Group Exercises, JIATF-S (for which I have already received the Operational Service Medal) and RIMPAC-12.  I completed all my reqs and sat (and passed) my NOPQ board in Sept 21, 2012.  I have just been promoted to Lt(N) and am awaiting my Director Level course which is scheduled for Feb 2013.  It was not an easy accomplishment, but one that I am proud to be able to say that I have done.  The biggest key here is to never lose sight of your goals and to regularly ask yourself "how bad do I want this and what am I willing to do to get there?"

I remain proud of my uniform, the Navy, and the CF as a whole.

Thank you everyone for all of the support that you provided me during the entire process.

Steve

Anyone have any fairly recent personal experiences with a recruit school bypass?

What are you looking for?  I assume you are rejoining(?) and wanting a RSBP and trying to find out if someone else's experience/situation is similar to yours?

I know it sounds crazy but I don't want a bypass. When told I was approved for one, I was very surprised since I have been out of the Reg force for almost 10yrs and the last info I knew regarding this was if you were out more than 5 yrs, back to basic you went. Having been out for so long, I really don't want to look like a fool fumbling through drill movements and such that I haven't thought about for a decade.  I just wanted to know what others went through regarding this..is there any type of refresher? Any details regarding kit issue? Would you typically be sent to a PAT PL (if there is still such a thing) before your QL3?

Yea,  I've read past 5 years you need to redo your courses, but I've seen one person with 8-10 years out be able to come back in at his previous rank(MCpl) and go straight to a Battalion.  Another was a ex Sgt with about the same time out,  but had to start back as a Private Recruit, redo basic training, etc.

I would guess that you would be issued your entitlement of kit once you arrive/clear at the base and unit(either a school's PAT Pl or PRETC).

Yes PAT Platoons are still around,  and I would assume you would get sent to PAT Platoon(or PRETC) prior to your QL3/DP1.  As for a refresher on drill, etc that would be something you can pick up during PAT Platoon/PRETC if there is time/available staff.  Plus there are the other pers on PAT/PRETC who could help you out as well.

aurawolf said:
I could use some help. I just recieved my compenent transfer. I am an infantry reserve private with 4 RCR, and I am going sigs215, but they gave me a recruit school by-pass.  Theoretically a good thing, but I have only been in since the end of June this year and the only training I have is my 2/3‘s from the summer I did in Meaford.  But the training was a little hurried.  They left out alot of important things!!  I have never been gassed, I didn‘t do a battle fitness test, the longest I have ever ruck-marched is 7 kliks, I only even wore a gas mask once. For goodness sakes I have never even done a night nav! I am hiker so I can but I didn‘t do one in training! My infantry course didn‘t teach me the gutov or the c6, and I havent done a swim test. I have never even been in shacks before (we stayed in Mods).  I was just informed that I am shipping out on Jan 7th, and sometime between then and the 7th of mar. I am taking a driver wheel, then I start my sigs course.  Which means there is no time to request a basic.  Does anyone have an idea as to how I can make up the training :eek: o

Come out on 4 RCR IBTS weekends and you can get gassed (I know it happened this year.) It's probably not best to blame or mention your unit/course staff, you never know who's reading this....

Ranger Rick said:
Come out on 4 RCR IBTS weekends and you can get gassed (I know it happened this year.) It's probably not best to blame or mention your unit/course staff, you never know who's reading this....

11 year old post you responded to...

markody said:
Anyone have any fairly recent personal experiences with a recruit school bypass?

Anyone who reached the OFP (ie; BMQ and QL3 qualified) prior to releasing, then the BMQ is good for life.  If you finished BMQ but did not finish QL3 and are subsequently "honorably released" on or after 1 Jan 03, then the validity of the BMQ qualification is linked to "qualifying service".  The more qualifying service you have, the longer the BMQ is valid for.

DAA said:
Anyone who reached the OFP (ie; BMQ and QL3 qualified) prior to releasing, then the BMQ is good for life.  If you finished BMQ but did not finish QL3 and are subsequently "honorably released" on or after 1 Jan 03, then the validity of the BMQ qualification is linked to "qualifying service".  The more qualifying service you have, the longer the BMQ is valid for.

Do QL3 qualified NCMs who release and re-enter as officers after 5 years get any type of BMQ equivalency or is it inapplicable because the officer basic is different?

Reaper-1 said:
Do QL3 qualified NCMs who release and re-enter as officers after 5 years get any type of BMQ equivalency or is it inapplicable because the officer basic is different?

You answered your own question.....NCM quals generally have little if any impact on BMOQ training, except at the more senior levels...

secondchance said:
And I am curious if there are people here who re-applied again?
The same question as a few months ago.I re-applied already and in process.
Anybody?

Myself. I left in December of 2011 due to personal issues and reapplied again in June 2012

BMQ starts again on January 7th.

Sizzle said:
Myself. I left in December of 2011 due to personal issues and reapplied again in June 2012

BMQ starts again on January 7th.
Almost the same. I left in December of 2011 due personal issues and reapplied again in July 2012.
File now on hold because trades are closed.

So, as a newbie, I am curious as to why when a new recruit, not even out of BMQ yet, requests VR, is not educated on their options according to their personal issue that has them requesting VR. Special leave, etc.
It sounds like it's hard to keep up with what the rules, and regulations, are even if you are in the CF, let alone new. It all depends on who you ask.
Congrats to the person getting into BMQ January 7th.
As for the person who started this thread. Just keep doing what you're doing. Stay on top of things. Keep training and checking in.
Three months is going to go fast and before you know it April will be here with new trades to apply too.
Best of Luck

Determined said:
So, as a newbie, I am curious as to why when a new recruit, not even out of BMQ yet, requests VR, is not educated on their options according to their personal issue that has them requesting VR. Special leave, etc.
It sounds like it's hard to keep up with what the rules, and regulations, are even if you are in the CF, let alone new. It all depends on who you ask.
It is hard to explain why people request VR - sometimes it is family issues and people are not sure when family situation can be improved, sometimes after being injured, sometimes recruits are thinking they are not good enough for CF, sometimes they are deciding CF lifestyle is not for them.Different reasons.But in majority cases nobody who applied for VR thinks about re-applying. Only small amount of people return back.
By the way it is not quickly to return back. :)
Yes, special leave is good option.

secondchance said:
Different reasons.But in majority cases nobody who applied for VR thinks about re-applying. Only small amount of people return back.
What are you basing this fact off of?

ObedientiaZelum said:
What are you basing this fact off of?
About " nobody who applied for VR thinks about re-applying" ?
I meant  exactly time when people sign papers about VR usually they don't think about returning because for returning there are different types of temporally leaves. When I was signing papers about VR I couldn't expect if I re-apply again because I didn't know how things go.
Sure , after some time people change their decision.Again.It is better to ask temporally leave instead of VR if there are family issues.

About "Only small amount of people return back" ?
Just guessing . During last year I met only a few people here , on forum and facebook group who are returning back.
May be I am wrong? Correct me.

Back