• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Verification of Former Service (VFS) [Merged]

• Thread starter maple_leaf_forever
  • Start date
Thank you George Wallace.

I am in the process of contacting the unit for further info. The officer that conducted the interview seemed very certain. The idea related to me was that I already know rank, structure, history, boot shining and such so it would be a waste of time.

Honestly, the idea of reporting to my unit without going through what every other soldier has to endure bothers me greatly. I have been through basic before and absolutely see the need for it. I can't see this as casting me in a positive light.

Mariomike, I know everyone says 'sorry' when they are corrected as to the erroneous placement of their posts. I missed the proper placement entirely.

beardedsawyer said:
Mariomike, I know everyone says 'sorry' when they are corrected as to the erroneous placement of their posts. I missed the proper placement entirely.

Good luck with your application.  :)

There's a handy dandy chart that the recruiters follow when answering this question.
There are several cases where BMQ is "good for life" regardless of how long you've spend away from the CAF, basically as long as a member reached OFP chances are BMQ is not going to be required upon re-entry into the CAF.

Side Note: The chart is a CDA Directive that came out in September 2013, anyone who enrolled/CT'ed prior to this didn't get the same provisions...

Hello folks:

I have considered re-enlisting as an EDT after being out for a year and two months. For my previous service, I completed a VIE (6 YR) contract and released in November 2015. When I released, I was a junior-level Naval Weapons Engineering Technician (QL4 - completed DP1 OJT) in my trade, and was also a qualified MCC/DCC watch keeper.

Before I pay a visit to the recruiting office, I would appreciate some feedback on a few things:

1. Are there any other trades besides EDT that will allow me to earn hours toward a Red Seal Electrician ticket in case I can't get into the EDT trade? I am open to other trades as well as long as I can earn hours toward a civilian ticket of some kind. Below are some other military trades that caught my eye. Are there any civilian trade tickets or certifications that I could earn by doing one of these trades?

a. Refrigeration and Mechanical Systems Technician
b. Plumbing and Heating Technician
c. Aerospace Telecommunication and Information Systems Technician
d. Electrical Generating Systems Technician
e. Avionics Systems Technician

2. I realize that EDT is a purple construction engineering trade and that I would be a soldier first and tradesman second. What alternate duties do EDT and construction engineering trades typically do?

3. Will I need to do BMQ over again?

4. A family member of mine is currently an AVS. He was telling me that if I enlisted as an AVS, I could earn the Transport Canada AME certification if I really applied myself. He also indicated that an AVS journeyman could transfer into other trades after spending a significant amount of time as a journeyman (ie Non-Destructive Testing). Are there any other specialties that an AVS could transfer into down the road?

Thanks!

jcrockett said:
What alternate duties do EDT and construction engineering trades typically do?

Electrical Distribution Tech 
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/121491.0

Electrical Technician vs. Electrical Distribution Technician?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/119977.0

RE: Electrical Distribution Technician 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/109711.0

Electrical Distribution Technician
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+Electrical+Distribution+Technician&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=kcdkVsLxCIHd8gf8paeADA&gws_rd=ssl

Electrical Distribution Technician,
For applicants who have a Department of National Defense Certificate of Military Achievement with a QL5 rating and rank of corporal in one of nine matched trades (below), a copy of your Member’s Personnel Record Resume (MPRR) is sufficient evidence of your qualifications and experience; once submitted, the College will verify the validity of your certification and approve you to write the C of Q exam without further training.
http://www.collegeoftrades.ca/wp-content/uploads/Trade-Equivalency-Assessment-Application-Guide-March-2015-FINAL.pdf
See page 3.

Education requirements to become an electrical distribution technician 
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/122930/post-1435455/topicseen.html#new
"I want to apply to become an electrical distribution technician in the army."

jcrockett said:
Are there any other trades besides EDT that will allow me to earn hours toward a Red Seal Electrician ticket in case I can't get into the EDT trade? I am open to other trades as well as long as I can earn hours toward a civilian ticket of some kind. Below are some other military trades that caught my eye. Are there any civilian trade tickets or certifications that I could earn by doing one of these trades?

Certificates of Military Achievement Recognized in Alberta:
http://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/sources/pdfs/forms/military_trades.pdf

Vehicle Technician QL5
Construction Technician QL5
Cook QL5
Electrical Distribution Technician QL5
Marine Engineering Technician QL5
Marine Engineering Technician QL5
Supply Technician QL6
Plumbing and Heating Technician QL5
Refrigeration and Mechanical Technician QL5
Material Technician QL5

Certificates of Military Achievement Recognized in Ontario:
http://app06.ottawa.ca/cs/groups/content/@webottawa/documents/pdf/mdaw/mtkx/~edisp/cap201209.pdf
See page 5.

"If you hold a DND Certificate of Military Achievement at the Ql5 level and the rank of Corporal in the certification programs listed below, you can write the.red.seal Certificate of Qualification exam that corresponds to your military certification with no further training:
■ Marine Engineering Technician
■ Marine Electrician
■ Vehicle Technician
■ Material Technician
■ Refrigeration and Mechanical Technician
■ Electrical.distribution Technician
■ Plumbing and Heating Technician
■ Construction Technician, and
■ Cook
To be able to write the certification exam, you must submit the three documents listed in the “required documentation” section and include a copy of your Member’s personnel record résumé (Mprr) as evidence of your work experience in place of a letter from your employer."

jcrockett said:
A family member of mine is currently an AVS.

AVS
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Amilnet.ca+getting+back+in&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=nyGZWOnXN6KC8Qf3gZqoAQ&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:milnet.ca+AVS

jcrockett said:
Will I need to do BMQ over again?

Do I have to do BMQ again after being released?
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/87770.0

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

JohnBent said:
http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/en/re-enrollment.page?

If you are looking to return to reg force service, please follow the link.  I'll be the one to reply directly to you for NCM via phone call or email.

Cheers

The Air Force Intake & Liaison Team (AFI&LT) is working with Canadian Forces Recruiting Group (CFRG) to get the word out that the Air Force is actively seeking ex-military members of the Canadian Forces who were fully trained in an Air Force occupation.

The AFI&LT, which is based in Ottawa, works to identify and staff initiatives aimed at improving the re-enrolment of Air Force personnel into the Canadian Forces (CF). Due to manning shortages, personnel from many Air Force occupations are being sought ...
The RCAF info-machine has a fresh reminder that this is still out there:
Do you miss working with some of the greatest people and technology in the Canadian Armed Forces? Would you like to put your skills back to work for Canada and Canadians?

If so, there may be a place for you (again!) in the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF).

The RCAF has established a dedicated team – the Air Force Intake and Liaison Team (AFI&LT) – to work with the Canadian Forces Recruiting Group to actively attract and enroll former trained members of the Canadian Armed Forces.

Working together, the two teams are focused on supporting RCAF occupations that face particular personnel shortages and can benefit immediately from the return of individuals who have the skills and experience that the Air Force needs ...

Looking for CF member and recruit experiences in regards to their wait times for archived medical files when rejoining.

Was a member of CF back in 2010 (Over 7 years out now) and wanting to rejoin Reg. Forces once again.  My recruit application is currently at a stand still while waiting on my previous medical file, which is archived in Ottawa. ( FYI "Previous medical history is clean and never had any issues")

Recruit center has confirmed my VFS already and will book my medical + interview once the medical is in. Ottawa Archives (Canadian Forces) indicated a 30 day turn around time for the request but wanted to see on a personal level what your wait times happen to be.

Looking forward to getting back into uniform and retiring as a CF member 20+ years from now.

Thanks for any input and advice. All the best

I've searched the forums for everything containing the words "birth certificate" and couldn't find anything matching my question so I'm posting it up to see if anyone knows. As a returning member, do I still need to provide my birth certificate? It got lost on the move back to Ontario after I got out and I can't find it for the life of me. I have a 10 year passport that is valid but I don't want my application to get delayed due to not having a Birth Cert.

It's like 35 bucks for another birth certificate, and I've had them show up in only a few weeks. You order it online, at least in Ontario.

PuckChaser said:
It's like 35 bucks for another birth certificate, and I've had them show up in only a few weeks. You order it online, at least in Ontario.

yeah, was in the middle of doing this..went out and bought a pre-paid credit card and it turns out the site doesnt take them i guess. Bummer  :-\

Yes you will still need to provide your Birth Certificate to enroll even that you have prior service.
The Birth Certificate is a mandatory piece of enrolment identification.

I had a damaged birth certificate a few years ago and needed a replacement ricky tick.  Paid $60 (Rush shipping) and had it in less than 48 hours.

Has anyone had any experience returning to the forces with any paperwork being sent to Dmed Pol? When I released I was on a tcat so apparently thats a huge issue even though the injury doesnt exist anymore and I had an MRI done showing nothing wrong(its been 3 years). The PA for my intake medical was really great and wrote basically a novel in his paperwork trying to challenge it, just want to get some feedback at this point if I should expect a positive response or not.

Good day,

Would like to pose a question for those who may know, regarding a reinstatement to corporal after being out for a period of time and then getting back in.

I did reg force basic in '06 and was in for about 4.5 years, was promoted to Cpl after 3 years, did a tour.

Got out in 2010, and re-enlisted in 2016 to a different trade. Was out for exactly 6 years. Started again from P1 but did not do basic, and was credited 70 days toward promotion.

Wondering if anyone knows if there is any chance of getting Cpl's back in this situation.

Thanks in advance

Zombie said:
Would like to pose a question for those who may know, regarding a reinstatement to corporal after being out for a period of time and then getting back in.

I did reg force basic in '06 and was in for about 4.5 years, was promoted to Cpl after 3 years, did a tour.

Got out in 2010, and re-enlisted in 2016 to a different trade. Was out for exactly 6 years. Started again from P1 but did not do basic, and was credited 70 days toward promotion.

Wondering if anyone knows if there is any chance of getting Cpl's back in this situation.

DAA is / was a CAF Recruiter,

DAA said:
Usually, the CAF will recognize all prior service time, provided you re-enrol less than 5 years from your date of release.  Less than 3 years out, you usually get everything back (Rank, Pay and Occupation/Non-Occupation/Leadership Quals), 3-5 will be PLAR'd which results in a coin toss and anything more than 5 years post release, will be a hard sell but usually results in "Cpl (B)".

Hello,

I’ll get right to it here, Ex Artillery NCM (RegF) interested in re-enrolling into the Air Force as an Electrical Distribution Tech (RegF).  I have read through this thread from start to finish and it answered most of my questions but not all of them. 

As far as total time served, it was around 13 years with a little of reservist time at the end of it after a component transfer from the RegF. I did VR from the reserves around 2012. I’m not concerned about having to do BMQ again, I’m cool with it either way.

The reason why I left the CAF was a simple one, I wanted a trade ticket that was outside the scope of an Artillery soldier. I did try the OT process while in the RegF, but it was a dead end, out cap for the Arty was 6 people per year at the time.

During my post RegF time in the reserves I started my Electrician Apprenticeship civi side pretty much from the get go and I quickly discovered that there was no way I could balance work, wife, kids, mortgage, spare time etc. and continue with the reserves. Rather than be a “no show” for 90% of weekends and parade nights I decided to VR completely as this pace of life was set to continue for some time.

Fast forward to today and I am a Red Seal Journeyman Electrician, apprenticed in Alberta, all schooling done at NAIT. Life has stabilized and I find myself longing for the military. I miss everything that comes with it. Except for CFB Shilo.

So my questions are:
1. Is the Air Force looking for ED Techs and if so is my civi ticket valid or would I have to do a QL3 or some skill set upgrading/refresher training?
2. Picking up where I left off with pensionable time, (not concerned about rank or pay). What are the current options to buyback your pension?
3. After completing BMQ/QL3/Training and receiving your first posting, what services does the military provide these days regarding your personal effects in the province you came from. IE: House, vehicles, land owned

My remaining questions are more specific about the ED Tech trade  and the process of getting there.  The Forces.ca website indicates that an ED TECH’s QL3 is 6 months in Gagetown... Due to the length of the course can candidates show up with a set of wheels and are you in the shacks for the entire course?
http://www.forces.ca/en/job/pdf/electricaldistributiontechnician-57

Upon completing a QL3 or qualifying for direct entry are your posting locations determined by your element? How long are the postings for ED Tech’s?  I understand manpower is placed where needed but if able to, I would gladly stay in Alberta.

If what I have posted here is in the wrong thread, then my apologies.  Thanks for any input and advice, also if there are any ED Tech’s out there looking to make the jump to civi side and are looking for info about being a tradesman on the outside please feel free to message me.

Thanks

AlbertaSparky said:
Is the Air Force looking for ED Techs and if so is my civi ticket valid or would I have to do a QL3 or some skill set upgrading/refresher training?

ED Tech questions and answers,
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&dcr=0&ei=fukZWr-kBsrAjwShx5mYCw&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22ed+tech%22&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22ed+tech%22&gs_l=psy-ab.12...91368.95349.0.97734.2.2.0.0.0.0.103.167.1j1.2.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.uakkb-xXODI

AlbertaSparky said:
What are the current options to buyback your pension?

Pension buy back,
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&dcr=0&ei=iOoZWozAEIrojwSpj4BI&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+buy+back&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+buy+back&gs_l=psy-ab.3...13652.16086.0.16675.8.8.0.0.0.0.123.616.7j1.8.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.dfVR2TGkyZA

Service Buyback—Canadian Armed Forces pensions
https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/fac-caf/act/rnsrgm/rcht-bybck-eng.html

Hey guys, wondering if anyone can help me. I’m getting conflicting answers about applying to the Reserves after a 4a voluntary release from reg force BMQ.

The HR staff and release office at St. Jean are saying that there is no waiting period or restrictions when applying to the Reserves after being released from reg force BMQ. They encouraged all of us to apply directly as soon as we arrived home.

However, two of my local reserve units are telling me otherwise with one indicating that I’d need a chief of defence staff waiver and the other saying I’d need to wait one calender year prior to applying for all aspects of the CAF (reg force and reserves.)

Hoping someone on the forum could shed some light on the issue. I appreciate the help.

Based on CFRG HQ policy (Waivers - WI 3.3.2.07 Rev 6, Annex K), the waiting period for re-enrolment after a 4(C) Release is for applying to the Regular Force only.  There is no waiting period to apply to the PRes after a 4(C) release from either Reg or PRes.
* Release Item 4(C) applying to the RegF prior to reaching OFP, there is a 1 year waiting period, waiver authority is the CFRC CO (must present evidence that issued that precipitated release have been resolved and/or are no longer an issue) and specifically states that this is Not applicable if re-enrolment is into the PRes.
* Release Item 4(C) applying to the RegF less than 6 months since release there is a 6 month waiting period, waiver authority is the CFRC CO (based on service needs) and specifically states that this is Not applicable if re-enrolment is into the PRes.
* Release item 4(C) for other situations, there is no waiting period and no waiver required.

<b>The only release items that require CDS approval are for 3(a), 5(d) & 5(f).</b>

------

That said, there might be Unit/Brigade/Division policy that is different; if you are being told that is policy, it is in writing and you should ask for a copy of the policy if you wish to "challenge" the decision.

I'm curious as to what recruiter is stating that a CDS approval is required for re-enrolment after a 4(C) release...?

I read original post as 4(C) release (I really only payed attention to the fact that you said "voluntary release"), I now realize it's a 4(A) (Voluntary - On Request (when entitled to an immediate annuity) release.
I'm leaving my original post as I deal with 4(C) re-enrolment queries quite often, so I'm leaving above information for that reason.
-------------------
However based on the original question here is my response:

Based on CFRG HQ policy (Waivers - WI 3.3.2.07 Rev 6, Annex K), there is no waiting period for re-enrolment after a 4(A) release and there is no waiver required.
<b>The only release items that require CDS approval are for 3(a), 5(d) & 5(f).</b>
------
That said, there might be Unit/Brigade/Division policy that is different; if you are being told that is policy, it is in writing and you should ask for a copy of the policy if you wish to "challenge" the decision.

I'm still curious as to what recruiter is stating that a CDS approval is required for re-enrolment after a 4(A) release...?

Back