• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Voluntary Release (VR) from Reserve - anytime [Merged]

10 months as a private recruit isn't at all abnormal, if you're interested in staying in the unit, just make them aware of why you can't complete your BMQ until later, not really a deal breaker.

I'm not sure what you're looking for here.

You inform your chain of command of your intent to release; this may take the form of a memo. Mine was verbal, and included the CO. You're worried about getting NES, write a memo. If you get concerned that something may have gone wrong, request it back. On the order of 30 days, you should see where its been minuted. Just documenting the submission should have you covered on paper.

If you're wondering what happens after that, you wait. You'll be contacted by your clerks to clear out. Know your schedule, inform them when they contact you, and try to keep your appointment. Don't lose your ID card or any of your kit to the basement/closet monster. Writing loss reports is a pain in the butt and delays clearing you out.

Once the paperwork's done and you're cleared out, you wait. A big envelope with a certificate will show up in the mail saying you're officially done.

If you sign your release paperwork and are told that you've cleared out in September, and you haven't received it by January, check in with the clerks.

Outside of that, just go about your normal routine.

I should elaborate.

Am I required to parade with them during the Voluntary Release process? And as I was only a week in, I had not acquired my ID or any piece of kit. The only thing they "issued" was a Canadian Forces pen, which I don't think is too important, but I'll give it back to them if they ever need it. It's in pretty mint condition. Lady driven.

10 months as a private recruit isn't at all abnormal, if you're interested in staying in the unit, just make them aware of why you can't complete your BMQ until later, not really a deal breaker.

It would be 10 months as a Pte (R), but since most of the hours gained for the trades program is earned during summer, I would love to elect that since when I'm taking, for example, my possible HVAC course, I'll have so many hours less to do before I get my journeyperson's qualification. So the summer would possibly be out of the picture as well. I'd be better off saving tax dollars for them to be paying someone who would be more dedicated towards the army than myself.

Chuk said:
I should elaborate.

Am I required to parade with them during the Voluntary Release process? And as I was only a week in, I had not acquired my ID or any piece of kit. The only thing they "issued" was a Canadian Forces pen, which I don't think is too important, but I'll give it back to them if they ever need it. It's in pretty mint condition. Lady driven.

Unlikely. Why would they waste their time and yours? If a unit does not want you to parade (and has appropriate reason), you will not be risking a 5f release. Eg. injury, reached max class A days, in release process.

It would be 10 months as a Pte (R), but since most of the hours gained for the trades program is earned during summer, I would love to elect that since when I'm taking, for example, my possible HVAC course, I'll have so many hours less to do before I get my journeyperson's qualification. So the summer would possibly be out of the picture as well. I'd be better off saving tax dollars for them to be paying someone who would be more dedicated towards the army than myself.

Unlikely. Why would they waste their time and yours? If a unit does not want you to parade (and has appropriate reason), you will not be risking a 5f release. Eg. injury, reached max class A days, in release process.

Okay, thanks. That's what I was assuming.

I'm currently doing my BMQ in my home town for the reserves but I need to VR due to some family problems and stress related to it but I'm wondering how long it will take for me to be able to leave after I do the paperwork? Will it be right away because I really need to start dealing with my family issues?

HI

My son is currently on week three of his BMQ , and saying he does not like it and wants to VR. I know it is meant to tough (been there EX UK RN) so I need to understand the process, every bone in my body wants to shout "suck it up butter cup", but also having served .  I would rather he bales now, then at sea when fighting a compartment fire.

So my  questions are

1. How many time will they interview him before they would agree to a VR ?
2. Can they say no ? as he did sign an employment contract ?

I hope he gets over it ,but I would like to know if there is any help advice you guys can give , so I can help him push through this and go on to serve.

Cheers Guys

winster1969 said:
HI

My son is currently on week three of his BMQ , and saying he does not like it and wants to VR. I know it is meant to tough (been there EX UK RN) so I need to understand the process, every bone in my body wants to shout "suck it up butter cup", but also having served .  I would rather he bales now, then at sea when fighting a compartment fire.

So my  questions are

1. How many time will they interview him before they would agree to a VR ?
2. Can they say no ? as he did sign an employment contract ?

I hope he gets over it ,but I would like to know if there is any help advice you guys can give , so I can help him push through this and go on to serve.

Cheers Guys

I was interviewed 3 times, and the personnel who dealt with PAR platoon also tried to talk me out of it. I very stupidly did not listen, and low and behold as soon as I left, I regretted it. Now a little over a year later I am going back to Quebec. 

They can potentially say no, but that all depends if they want to say no or not.

My honest opinion, try to coax him to stay past week 5, it does get better. Hell when I was on PAR platoon I was tempted to go back on platoon because I knew it got a lot better as time progressed. But family matters caused me to stay on the path to release.

Hi

Does that mean you can change your mind , and take back you VR request , whilst serving in the PAR platoon?

Some parts of this job absolutely suck, and some parts are absolutely brilliant and make the parts that absolutely suck worth it. For me, the brilliant far outweighs the suck, and I would happily do it all over again.

It is not for everybody, though, and maybe he is one of those people.

I think that he should stick it out, and give this undertaking a fair chance. Regardless of how it seems to him right now, BMQ does not last forever.

winster1969 said:
Hi

Does that mean you can change your mind , and take back you VR request , whilst serving in the PAR platoon?

Yes you have from the time you enter the platoon, to 24hrs before being released to change your mind. I unfortunately had a change of heart as soon as I got into the cab.

Spoke to him today, he is going to finish his BMQ he said he could put his VR in and finish basic, then leave the day after graduation ,and then has two years where he can reapply and then would be in the same stage of training., eg he would go to fleet school.

Ok not happy with that , but if he gets through basic , he has options, and hoping he will change his mind 

Is that correct though ? you can VR pass BMQ  leave the next day ?  then return within two years at the same stage of training?

Thanks again Guys

winster1969 said:
Spoke to him today, he is going to finish his BMQ he said he could put his VR in and finish basic, then leave the day after graduation ,and then has two years where he can reapply and then would be in the same stage of training., eg he would go to fleet school.

Ok not happy with that , but if he gets through basic , he has options, and hoping he will change his mind 

Is that correct though ? you can VR pass BMQ  leave the next day ?  then return within two years at the same stage of training?

Thanks again Guys

I sincerely hope not.  In my book, you ask for VR, you immediately cease training and do the kit bag drag to the man eating truck, but that's just me.

I am of the mind that if you commit to something, you see it through......that's just part of growing up...

Kat Stevens said:
I sincerely hope not.  In my book, you ask for VR, you immediately cease training and do the kit bag drag to the man eating truck, but that's just me.

I agree with you 100%.

winster1969 said:

Thanks again Guys

NO, that's probably not going to happen.  They aren't going to process his request for release while he is still on course, it would be a waste of time and resources.  If he does complete BMQ and then VR's, he is not eligible to reapply to the Regular Force for at least 12 months from his date of release. 

On top of that, because he didn't reach the OFP (Operational Functional Point - basic occupation traing) in his chosen occupation, his BMQ is only "valid" based on time served.  So if he completed BMQ but never reached OFP and served 6 months in the CF and then released, his BMQ is valid for "6 months from the effective date of release".

Thanks

Want to be clear i told him to finish basic then carry on to fleet school , hopefully he will just man up and get on with it, but he is my son, and an arm around the shoulder as well as a boot in balls is also required, i am hoping that the further he goes through his BMQ the further away the VR idea will get. 

Time will tell

thanks

winster1969 said:
Thanks

Want to be clear i told him to finish basic then carry on to fleet school , hopefully he will just man up and get on with it, but he is my son, and an arm around the shoulder as well as a boot in balls is also required, i am hoping that the further he goes through his BMQ the further away the VR idea will get. 

Time will tell

thanks

You'll find a lot of kids these days go in a speed wobble and want to quit because the military is such an alien world to them. Most get over it, some quit only to come back (and hate themselves for quitting) and some just quit.

The next time you talk with him tell him to take it hour by hour. Have him tell himself "I just have to make it through the next hour". Once that hour is up have him tell himself to just make it through the next hour.
Hour by hour.
Once that's going good make it day by day. Just make it to the end of the day.
day to day.
Then week by week.
Then he's graduated.

Happy to report "wobble" over , he is doing good, in fact after weeks of saying "come up to see me on my first weekend off " he has now informed me , he is busy with his mates so don't visit, fantastic news for me, hope he is busy every weekend .

Thanks Guys for your input .

winster1969 said:
Happy to report "wobble" over , he is doing good, in fact after weeks of saying "come up to see me on my first weekend off " he has now informed me , he is busy with his mates so don't visit, fantastic news for me, hope he is busy every weekend .

Thanks Guys for your input .

And now you can hold this over his head in the future. ;D

Back