• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing Uniforms Post-Release/Retirement (merged)

hamiltongs said:
As you can see, the RCN is such a high-visibility institution that we really need to work to reduce the number of people wearing our uniform to society events. I'm certainly looking forward to going around mess dinners browbeating grey-hairs with copies of ss.130 and 419 of the Criminal Code for wearing their 50-year-old mess dress. "But thanks for coming to our dinner!"

Make sure they pay cash.

In advance.

hamiltongs said:
As you can see, the RCN is such a high-visibility institution that we really need to work to reduce the number of people wearing our uniform to society events. I'm certainly looking forward to going around mess dinners browbeating grey-hairs with copies of ss.130 and 419 of the Criminal Code for wearing their 50-year-old mess dress. "But thanks for coming to our dinner!"

This is totally in line with our policy of trying to kill mess user-ship completely.

I've heard allot of Orwellian double speak, but the final para, after reading the context of the entire message plunged a
plug into the heart of support for the RCN for years to come. With direction like this from the CRCN,

10. AS COMMANDER RCN, I PRAISE AND THANK ALL WHO HAVE SERVED
PREVIOUSLY: I AM MOST REASSURED BY THE NUMBERS WHO WISH TO
DEMONSTRATE THEIR CONTINUED LOVE FOR AND LOYALTY TO THEIR NAVY.
HOWEVER, AS COMMANDER I MUST ALSO BE MINDFUL OF THE SERVING MEMBERS
OF THE DAY AND THAT THEY, ABOVE ALL OTHERS, REMAIN SWORN TO
UNLIMITED LIABILITY IF ORDERED INTO HARM S WAY, AND THEREFORE MUST
BE CLEARLY RECOGNIZABLE AS SUCH IN THE MANY EVENTS ATTENDED BY BOTH
CURRENT AND FORMER RCN SERVICE MEMBERS.

What is the end state? Ending support for the service all together?
This message means no matter if you have 2 years or 30 years, your RCN service
is worth crap compared to the sailor who just finished basic and is still serving.

So...what about those who are former members of the Canadian Navy and never members of the RCN?

I know.  Picking fly shit out of pepper but I am curious.

Strike said:
So...what about those who are former members of the Canadian Navy and never members of the RCN?

I know.  Picking fly crap out of pepper but I am curious.

Found all those pecks of fly in the pepper.... ;D

That big-a-boo announcement that no changes would cost money when changing
between the MARCOM to RCN title means that uniforms did not change.....except for
Elliot's Eye and as a retired member, if you have enough pride in the RCN to claim that,
then that tailoring is a small price to pay to maintain your pride IMO.

http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/cms/3/3-a_eng.asp?id=861

Vice-Admiral Maddison was promoted to his present rank and assumed Command of the Royal Canadian Navy in July 2011. Since then he has been very active within his Command and across Canada promoting his “One Navy” vision along the key lines of:..yada, yada, yada...........being a complete stooge obviously is what he has done best.

You must be kidding me lad................

There's gonna be blow back on this. I wager the Honouraries are going to have something to say, as will the Association.

Anyone catch the very distinct separation of the Regular Navy (the RCN) and the Primary Reserve Navy in para 6?

6. THIS NAVGEN DOES NOT AFFECT HONORARY APPOINTMENTS WHICH ARE
GOVERNED AT REF E AND DOES NOT APPLY TO RCN MEMBERS WHO HAD SERVED
PREVIOUSLY AND ARE NOW ON TERMS OF SERVICE WITHIN THE PRIMARY
RESERVE.

There's that big black line again and, when you cross it, there be dragons!

Haggis said:
Anyone catch the very distinct separation of the Regular Navy (the RCN) and the Primary Reserve Navy in para 6?

There's that big black line again and, when you cross it, there be dragons!

How so?  it just states that one of the exceptions is retired RCN members on strength with the primary reserves.  they retired from the regular force but serve with the reserves ie are still serving.

Damn!!1  We should get a pool going for when this will be rescinded.

Any bets???  ::)

6. THIS NAVGEN DOES NOT AFFECT HONORARY APPOINTMENTS WHICH ARE
GOVERNED AT REF E AND DOES NOT APPLY TO RCN MEMBERS WHO HAD SERVED
PREVIOUSLY AND ARE NOW ON TERMS OF SERVICE WITHIN THE PRIMARY
RESERVE

And why stop at alienating one group of people (those who have hung up the uniform for good) when you can seemingly take a swipe at two.  Why wouldn't you say "...does not apply to Regular RCN members who had served previously and are now on terms of service within the Reserve RCN"?  Are Primary Reservists not in the RCN?

Dammit, so much for biting my tongue on this one.  Maybe next time.

edit:  Wooops...I now see that's exactly the point Haggis was trying to make in the post above.  Maybe I will sit this one out...  ;D

kratz said:
Found all those pecks of fly in the pepper.... ;D

That big-a-boo announcement that no changes would cost money when changing
between the MARCOM to RCN title means that uniforms did not change.....except for
Elliot's Eye and as a retired member, if you have enough pride in the RCN to claim that,
then that tailoring is a small price to pay to maintain your pride IMO.

But the mess kit always had the curl, didn't it?

Errr. nope.

Not in the pubs I am reading. Part of that whole lost Navy culture / amalgamation thing.

If this message is part of the revived RCN process, someone has not heard when
to slow to 1/4 speed.  :nod:

He also didn't get the memo about sending messages in ALL CAPS. >:D

cupper said:
He also didn't get the memo about sending messages in ALL CAPS. >:D

Off-topic, but it's funny you mention that - http://www.navytimes.com/article/20130606/NEWS04/306060010/ALL-CAPS-MESSAGES-no-more.

The RCN will get around to doing the same when we buy new hardware and software, or we buy new ships - whichever happens first.  Probably the ships.  ;D

So who gets to tell this 90+ year old RCN WW2 vet who proudly wears his original uniform on Parade on Canada Day, Warriors Day Parade  and Nov 11th he can't anymore?  ::)

June2011-DDayParade-4624-300x200.jpg

Crantor said:
How so?  it just states that one of the exceptions is retired RCN members on strength with the primary reserves.  they retired from the regular force but serve with the reserves ie are still serving.

The RCN is the RCN with two components, Regular and Primary Reserve.  If you retire from the Regular Force and join the Primary Reserve you are still a member of the Canadian Armed Forces.  Why make the distinction between the two if they will continue to serve together in complementary roles?

Haggis said:
The RCN is the RCN with two components, Regular and Primary Reserve.  If you retire from the Regular Force and join the Primary Reserve you are still a member of the Canadian Armed Forces.  Why make the distinction between the two if they will continue to serve together in complementary roles?
I guess this explicitly means that people who transfer from the Regular Force or PRes to COATS are now out of luck.

Haggis said:

Without that clarification, Para 5 would seem to indicate that retired members cannot wear mess dress, even if they were class A or B.  Para 6 clarifies that retired members who serve with the reserves can indeed still wear their mess kit at functions. 

As well, a retired RCN member may be be on class A or B outside of the RCN as well which is why it states Primary Reserves and not NAVRES.

Back