• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What Does it Take to "Know" What You're Talking About?

Sorry about that Yrys, and everyone else.  I'll keep working on my English grammar skills mainly the use of a period.

CdtBosn: I agree.

The military depends almost more on Canadian positive public opinion in order to win in Afghanistan than it does on armed skill.  Yet, the public gets a jaded picture.  The reality, especially in a minority government, is that public opinion is king.

So, if you were a Taliban, what would you do:

http://cjunk.blogspot.com/2007/03/think-like-taliban.html

I sit with my fellow mujahedeen in the Pakistani Madrassa. We’ve been driven out of Helmand by the Christians. This past summer, we thought we were well prepared … Allah knows that the Russians paid dearly in the same limestone ditches and dry irrigation canals. But in 2006 all we managed was to kill a couple dozen crusaders … while their artillery, airplanes, and infantry tore us up. Our young recruits from Pakistan panicked and were martyred either where they lay or while they fled … Allah received them by the hundreds. And worse yet, the population … our own people … remained neutral.

Wow! That is really good propaganda the think like Taliban's have maybe the Conservatives should hire the writer as  'spin doctor' to use in influencing our public.  ;D
FuzzyLogic said:
http://cjunk.blogspot.com/2007/03/think-like-taliban.html

I sit with my fellow mujahedeen in the Pakistani Madrassa. We’ve been driven out of Helmand by the Christians. This past summer, we thought we were well prepared … Allah knows that the Russians paid dearly in the same limestone ditches and dry irrigation canals. But in 2006 all we managed was to kill a couple dozen crusaders … while their artillery, airplanes, and infantry tore us up. Our young recruits from Pakistan panicked and were martyred either where they lay or while they fled … Allah received them by the hundreds. And worse yet, the population … our own people … remained neutral.

ronnychoi said:
Well, we cheered in the theater during the new movie 300 as loud as we could during the DND advertisement. Everyone else in the packed theater cheered reluctantly. I bet we could do the same thing in Quebec City. A good percentage of people are followers, they follow leaders just like Germans in WW2. Now I'm not saying be a revolutionary, but if you know what you are doing, it's not that hard. Also, Serbia scored lowest on I.Q levels during the Euro I.Q tests last year, Germany scored highest...are these figures biased?? Maybe, but who knows right? I'm very curious to see how Canada scores, considering they are absolutely inadmissible.

Explain why you completely agree with me Cdtbosn? Have you ever been to FRY?

My error Cstbosn, I meant "the Former Republics of Yugoslavia" not the short lived "Federal Republic of Yugoslavia", which included the Srpska Krajina in eastern Bosnia, Montenegro, and of course Serbia. I will not respond to your PM you sent me about what FRY is, because I just defined the NATO definition of it. Make no mistake, I have not been to any of the Former Republics, but maybe someday I will.

Ah ok now I understand where the confusion stemmed from. I'm glad it could be cleared up so easily and thank you for enlightening me as to the "FRY"

Cheers,

Shay

Holy crap, these people are really twisted!!!

They are quite able to twist the facts to suit their purposes, as well as any......well, any politician. Listen to Taliban Jack twist reality and make the truth look like the south end of a north bound camel.

ronnychoi said:
which included the Srpska Krajina in eastern Bosnia, Montenegro, and of

Krajina was NEVER a former republic of Yugoslavia......

To get this back to the original flavour of the thread a bit...
Like Jack Granatstein, noted canadian war historian for those not familiar with him, has said repeatedly; the case has not been properly made to the public by any of the 3 prime ministers that we've had since 2001 as to why we are in afghanistan. While Harper is a bit better than the other two, none of them has shown a strong leadership on this issue. If it is in Canada's national interest to be there I want, and every citizen deserves, our elected leaders to look me and the eye and make the case to me. Full Stop. I fully believe that an excellent case is there to be made, but it hasn't happened.  Sure it's easy to malign citizens of democracy's like Canada and say they are ignorant, stupid or apathetic. But is that really the answer? It seems a bit reactionary and simplistic to me. 

Bane said:
To get this back to the original flavour of the thread a bit...
Like Jack Granatstein, noted canadian war historian for those not familiar with him, has said repeatedly; the case has not been properly made to the public by any of the 3 prime ministers that we've had since 2001 as to why we are in afghanistan. While Harper is a bit better than the other two, none of them has shown a strong leadership on this issue. If it is in Canada's national interest to be there I want, and every citizen deserves, our elected leaders to look me and the eye and make the case to me. Full Stop. I fully believe that an excellent case is there to be made, but it hasn't happened.   Sure it's easy to malign citizens of democracy's like Canada and say they are ignorant, stupid or apathetic. But is that really the answer? It seems a bit reactionary and simplistic to me. 

Ruxted made the case six months ago, here.

The other issue is when the Prime Minister addresses the Afghan issue - either the media or the other political parties claim he is 1) beating a dead horse 2) Using the Canadian Forces for political gain.

Since we have seen their is ZERO journalistic or Political integrity in this country, it is then hard for the PM or the CF to get the message out via the MSM, without static.  The Ruxted articles have been an excellent source -- however they require a Canadian - that either surfs Army.ca or searches alternative media for information -- which does not typically happen the the general sheeple...

CDN Aviator said:
Krajina was NEVER a former republic of Yugoslavia......

Right, It was supposed to be though...isn't it still controlled by militias and gangsters? I think it was filtrated in the 90's by the Federal Republic Of Yugoslavia.

ronnychoi said:
Right, It was supposed to be though...isn't it still controlled by militias and gangsters? I think it was filtrated in the 90's by the Federal Republic Of Yugoslavia.

Ronny - I'm tired of you.

Please STFU and put yourself on RECEIVE for a while - you may actually learn something.

DITTO -- Ronny you really are in a League of your own...
  Stop being an oxygen theif

ronnychoi said:

Listen buddy, unlike you, i serve in the Krijina.......so i have a frame of reference as to what i am talking about.

Do you ?

CDN Aviator said:
Listen buddy, unlike you, i serve in the Krijina.......so i have a frame of reference as to what i am talking about.

Do you ?

I'm confused.  There are several Krajinas.  That is what might be causing the problem here.  There are Krajinas in BAH, Croatia, Montenegro, Serbia and Slovenia.  To which one are you guys referring?  Maybe you are both talking about different places?

ronnichoi.....

PM inbound.

You are now on the ramp without a chute.

The Army.ca Staff

Back