• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What manner of medals are these?

Status
Not open for further replies.
George - perhaps this type of timeline?

Got in early 90s, trained and served in CAR.
CAR gets disbanded, goes FFL.
Does his min time (5 years), comes back and joins RCMP.
Does some tours (UN or otherwise) with the RCMP which may earn him a few medals along with long service.
Somewhere during this time joins reserves and maybe gets a tour or two with them as well.

That's how I see it anyway.

Too many of these medals (except the UK one?) are legitimate and easy to find to have someone try to fake things I think.

Whatever the medals are, they're mounted horribly, IMO.

George Wallace said:
At the same time, would he not have been credited time in the British military towards his CD?

I have a buddy who transferred from the CF (Regular Force) to the British Army prior to getting his 12 yrs in.  He did 18 years with the RWF before returning to Canada and the CF as a reservist. He didn't get his CD until he completed 12 yrs CF time, which would have been 4 yrs after he came back.  Alternately it took the system 4 years to catch up, which is not beyond the realm of possibility.

On a side note, his wings aren't very high up to accommodate 9 undress ribbons (in 3 rows)

eliminator said:
On a side note, his wings aren't very high up to accommodate 9 undress ribbons (in 3 rows)

Maybe he wasn't HALO qualified. ;D

Nice catch on the spacing of the wings. This person has had an interesting career to say the least.

the UK OSM medal is given out to people that served in Northern Ireland as I understand it, as for the three french medals on his uniform, they are as follows:

From left to right:

#1:  French Overseas Medal - Given to any soldier who spent time on external operations, in this soldiers case, Chad.  Most likely he did a 4 month tour de combat with the French Foreign Legion on Operation Epervier.

#2:  National Defence Medal - This medal is given out for honourable service during operational activities i.e. if you are in the 2 REP you get this medal with a clasp that says "troupes aeroportees" or if you serve in French Guiana protecting the Guyane Space Centre you also get this medal.

#3:  Medal of the Nations Gratitude - You get this medal for serving on external operations with the French military

In a 5 year FFL career his medals are pretty standard for what you would see a French Foreign Legionnaire wear.  He probably served with 2 REP, who are deployed fairly regularly.  I am guessing he probably did a 4 month tour in Chad on Op EPERVIER, a four month tour in French Guiana and probably one other mission somewhere else in Africa (possibly Djibouti or the Ivory Coast).  I know a WO in the RCR who spent 10 years in the FFL following the disbandment of the CAR and his rack is fairly similar.

Edit:

My guess is this guy did a 3 year contract in the British Army, left and went to the FFL for a 5 year contract which is very, very common amongst British soldiers.  Did his 5 years and got out and probably became a police officer.  The UN Medal is for service in the Democratic Rep of Congo, it is quite possible he was awarded this during his time with the FFL as they are quite active in that part of the world and conduct a number of operations there in the 90's and 2000's.

Also, up until recently, RCMP were not allowed serving in the CF so would explain why he is still a Corporal. 

NATO (Former Yugoslavia) Change to UNKNOWN; possibly police medal, closest ribbon match in Medal Yearbook was NATO.

RCMP Long Service Medal

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, here's the answer:

"Current RCMP Sgt with 2 tours as CIVPOL, former QOR para Pl, former French Foreign Legion, former Brit Army"

Thanks for playing...

daftandbarmy said:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, here's the answer:

"Current RCMP Sgt with 2 tours as CIVPOL, former QOR para Pl, former French Foreign Legion, former Brit Army"

Thanks for playing...

I knew there had to be a simple answer. ::)

Rhodesian said:
Daft is correct. The wearer is a friend of mine.

Did he apply for and receive permission from the Chancellery to wear them all together?

Its a good question....not the usual subject matter I get myself concerned with. But I know several guys with the Jordan training gong on the end....they were all declined permission to wear it.

Not that I give much of a damn...but as a side bar. I mean it wouldnt be the first time where things are decided two ways

Pusser said:
Did he apply for and receive permission from the Chancellery to wear them all together?

Why are we even talking about this?  It is not as if this guy is some Walter Mitty.  Service in 3 militaries, one of which is considered an elite fighting force.  Multiple operations overseas and now he has decided to give more sweat a blood serving as a police officer.  I think these medals symbolise a story, one which I would very much like to hear rather then hide it.

IMO, I would rather see this guy wear his medals with pride then see some honorary Colonel, who isn't even a real soldier, walk around like he owns the place  with his Knight's Order, Golden Jubilee, Diamond Jubilee and whatever other wingding we can award him/her to pad his/her uniform.

The QOR are an elite fighting force?

Infanteer said:

I was actually thinking about the Seaforth's :-D ... You ever try fighting a man wearing a kilt before?  You'll quickly feel inadequate about yourself the minute he lifts the damn thing up!

Infanteer said:

%D0%BE%D1%80%D1%83%D0%B6%D0%BD%D0%BE%D1%81%D1%82%D1%8C-%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BC%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%8F-%D0%B3%D0%B5%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%B5%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%8F-geek-408041.jpeg

George Wallace said:
I highly doubt that anyone could PLAR White Jump Wings.
if HE'S oooold enough, could he have spent time with 3 Mech Cdo in Germany?  A dusty recess of my brain reminds me (and I stand to be corrected) that even Mo' who had red leaf jump wings before working with them were eligible for white leaf wings afterwards, whether they jumped or not in Germany.

Pusser said:

Well, he is a Cpl in the Seaforth. Not positive he ever asked, but sometimes you need to trust a soldiers chain of command that they are competent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back