• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What not to do - No excuse BMQ tips [Merged]

So by "not passing", did you mean, umm, "fail"?  Nah, don't worry about them, the tests are just there to make you feel good about yourself.

ONT said:
Can you fail the course for not passing the written tests?

This isn't the public school system. There is more than enough training provided and chances to re-take exams should you fail but there are always limits. Pass the tests or you are gone.

CDN Aviator said:
This isn't the public school system. There is more than enough training provided and chances to re-take exams should you fail but there are always limits. Pass the tests or you are gone.

Also heard that the tests are pretty simple. They are meant to be passed, as long as you the homework. Not only that, but people will also lend you another brain to help you out.

HavocSteve said:
Also heard that the tests are pretty simple. They are meant to be passed, as long as you the homework. Not only that, but people will also lend you another brain to help you out.

Perhaps I am the only one disturbed by this mindset, however, simple tests and loaned brains do not a good soldier produce.

Just out of curiosity, can we bring cell phones, cameras, and laptops? If so, where are they stored?

How many times per day do they run at BMQ?

If we bring our own cars, the battery will lose charge after (I think) two weeks if its not run, do they have assistance for us or are we calling CAA on our own accord?

How long are we allowed to shower? Thought I read somewhere for the communal its 4 minutes...is that undress, shower then re-dress?   

Is there or is there not any room for a second set of shoes?

How much money should I bring to start for supplies?

Can everything I need be bought at the Canex? Are the the prices reasonable?

Will I be continuing my weight-training program while there?

Snapshot007 said:
Just out of curiosity, can we bring cell phones, cameras, and laptops? If so, where are they stored?

If we bring our own cars, the battery will lose charge after (I think) two weeks if its not run, do they have assistance for us or are we calling CAA on our own accord?

How long are we allowed to shower? Thought I read somewhere for the communal its 4 minutes...is that undress, shower then re-dress?   

All of your questions can be easily answered by a bit of reading, rummaging, and the good ol' search function.

'Cept for this doozy:

If your car battery loses it's charge after 2 weeks I suggest buying a new one (car or battery... your call) or a set of booster cables (good idea anyway...) because there is something wrong.

Snapshot007 said:

You just need to take a breath man. You sound way too concerned with everything that surounds the course, rather than BMQ it's self. Your situation is probably the same as a thousand recruits before you, so don't sweat the small stuff! Just go into the course, giver your best, and learn as much as you can from the experience. Any questions that you have, send them to your recruiting centre. Or as ballz put it, the search option on this site is available to everyone. Good luck and don't sweat the small stuff.

LineJumper said:
Perhaps I am the only one disturbed by this mindset, however, simple tests and loaned brains do not a good soldier produce.

But it does produce 100% pass rates - and that is more important in some minds than the quality of soldier being passed. 

I was just saying, the platoon should and will help each other. Everyone will help each other because it isn't a "one man" army.

People stress out way to much about BMQ. Yes it is a new way of doing things and it is a shock to the system. However if you do what you're told and "play the game" you'll be fine. There's no big secret to passing, just do what the instructors tell you to and you'll be just fine. The big thing they stress is teamwork. You can't do anything alone.

Just a couple of small points here....

1.  Written/theory tests are part of training.  Generally speaking they don't get easier as you progress in your trade either.  On my Reserve 6A armour recce course in '97, we had to know, IIRC, the ORBAT of a Soviet Motor Rifle Division from top to bottom.  I am in a new trade now and on the QL3 level course for that;  21 exams over 14 weeks.  You can't apply something properly that you don't know properly IMO.  If you, for example, are tested on the 15 sentry must-knows (or that how many there was when I was still on the green side) and you don't know them, how will you know them in a field setting when you are bagged and fried??

2.  WAY too many people on here are either over thinking/complicating/working themselves up over BMQ.  Keep it simple.  You aren't expected to know this stuff when you show up.

3.  BMQ success plan, in its simpliest form.

Do WHAT you are told, HOW you are told, WHEN you are told.

It really is that bloody simple.

Always make sure your uniform is up to standard.
As well, realise no matter what you do, the DS will
find fault in what you have done./quote]

So what's the point of sweating about your uniform?  Yes, you need to put some effort into it.  Yes, your shoes must be shiny.  Yes, your clothes need to be pressed.  BUT, nobody gets thrown out of this outfit because their shoes aren't shiny enough or their creases aren't sharp enough.  SET YOUR PRIORITIES and keep your eyes on the prize.  Don't let your academics suffer (i.e. the things the WILL get you tossed out) because you spend too much time with a can of polish.

2.  WAY too many people on here are either over thinking/complicating/working themselves up over BMQ.  Keep it simple.  You aren't expected to know this stuff when you show up.
If you watch the videos regarding recruitment and basic training, they may have 1 minute worth of a classroom scene, then 25 minutes of guys standing at attention, making their beds, polishing their boots, running, jumping, crawling, getting yelled at, folding clothes, refolding clothes, etc. etc.

Us applicants stress about it because that's what we see ALL the emphasis on everywhere we look. If it's not a big deal, why are there so many threads started by people on this very forum about "Basic BMQ tips" and "BMQ survival" and such, written by people after they've been through it. Why would they bother writing the thread in the first place?

I don't NEED to watch a video on BMQ.  I did mine in 1989 and I got thru it ok with the advice I gave a few posts ago.  I got that advice from my father, who was a retired WO in the Air Force.  And guess what...it worked!  Fuckin' imagine that! 

::)

Since then, I've taught on many courses, BMQ being one of them on more occassions than I can count on my 2 hands, and I am telling you...people are overthinking it.

ONCE you are sworn in and have a goddamn course start date, read the info the CFRC gives you, read the Joining Instructions, do what you need to do and RELAX and enjoy your last few weeks and days before you grace the Green Doors and CFLRS.

Thats my advice, take it or leave it.  I for one, and kinda tired of the SAME questions about cell phones and "what happens if my bum hurts" and all that stuff that, for one, has been answered a gazillion times already and I am tired of the people who are too fuckin' lazy to search the site for info people on here, me included, have given...only to have it ignored.

Take into consideration, some of the people who give advice around here have less time in the military than my current beret does.  BMQ is NOT complicated...stop making it hard before you even get there.  Get in shape, get your personal affairs in order and stop worrying about what you will be doing in Week 5 before you even get to the province of Quebec FFS.

fack!

I don't NEED to watch a video on BMQ.  I did mine in 1989 and I got thru it ok with the advice I gave a few posts ago.  I got that advice from my father, who was a retired WO in the Air Force.  And guess what...it worked!  ******' imagine that! 
That's fantastic, but you're taking my comment completely out of context.
The question was asked - why are we so concerned about BMQ.
I answered that question.
I didn't tell you that you don't know what BMQ is like, I didn't say it's hard, I didn't say it's easy. I said that the information available to recruits tells us that BMQ is going to be insanely complex and stressful, therefore that's what we think.

mewingkitty said:
That's fantastic, but you're taking my comment completely out of context.
The question was asked - why are we so concerned about BMQ.
I answered that question.
I didn't tell you that you don't know what BMQ is like, I didn't say it's hard, I didn't say it's easy. I said that the information available to recruits tells us that BMQ is going to be insanely complex and stressful, therefore that's what we think.

Ok seriously? The reason the videos show 1 minute of classroom work and 25 minutes of getting yelled at, making beds, polishing shoes, etc is due to the fact that showing 25 minutes of classroom work and a minute of the other stuff would be boring as hell.

The nice man told you to freaking relax. You replied with an answer stating why you think some people might not relax. Perhaps neglecting Mr. Macluhan's idea that the medium is the message, and the fact that youtube videos cannot possibly show an accurate portrayal of BM(O)Q because those courses are all about stressing you for days at a time, whereas the videos last a few minutes at a time.

Plus the fact that you somehow took his comment of "relax and show up and listen to what they say", and decided that that advice doesn't apply to the topics of "standing at attention, making their beds, polishing their boots, running, jumping, crawling, getting yelled at, folding clothes, refolding clothes, etc. etc." When I went through basic training, we were given instruction on how to stand at attention, how to make our beds, how to polish our boots, how to crawl, how to jump, how to fold our clothes, and how to re-fold our clothes. I guess they just assumed that if we managed to be accepted into the CF, we would be smart enough to figure out how to run and how to get yelled at. Turns out they were correct.

So, to re-iterate, show up in good shape, do what you're told, when you're told, how you're told, and you'll do fine.

The nice man told you to freaking relax.
Actually, no where in his post did he mention anything about relaxing.

Quite frankly you guys are spazzing out at me for just posting in this thread. I haven't asked any questions, I haven't complained about requirements, I haven't whined about why I'm not in yet, and I haven't blamed anyone for not holding my hand while I wait.

Eye In The Sky said:
ONCE you are sworn in and have a goddamn course start date, read the info the CFRC gives you, read the Joining Instructions, do what you need to do and RELAX and enjoy your last few weeks and days before you grace the Green Doors and CFLRS.

BMQ is NOT complicated...stop making it hard before you even get there.  Get in shape, get your personal affairs in order and stop worrying about what you will be doing in Week 5 before you even get to the province of Quebec FFS.

fack!

Attention to detail; another important skill in the CF.  :blotto:

HavocSteve said:
I was just saying, the platoon should and will help each other. Everyone will help each other because it isn't a "one man" army.

This is a common misconception - when you are in training, every individual needs to prove that they have the minimum level of skills as an individual before they can play on the team.  If a soldier cant pass a simple test in basic, how can I trust him tp do anything more complicated in the field.

I would also point out that the (thankfully) few examples I know of, the persons werent failing because the person was stupid - it was because the person who was 'failing' couldnt be bothered to study or otherwise prepare for the tests.  Is this the quality of person you really want passing courses?  Someone who has no personal drive or motoivation and has to be forced to study by his course-mates and then carried by his platoon the rest of his life? 

Back