• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What Really Happened Aboard Air France 447

SeaKingTacco said:
Kirkhill,

The issue is less of cables and push rods (which are heavy) vs fly-by-wire.

The issue in this case seems to be a sub-optimal understanding of the control laws, coupled with  poor CRM, coupled by a refusal to revert to first principles of flying- put the nose on the horizon (or just slightly down), manage your power, watch your airspeed.  In this case, the airspeed was in and out, so they could have gone to the ground speed readout and realized that they were basically free falling, with little forward speed.

We probably aren't ready for Pilotless airliners anytime too soon...

After you ......  :)

And thanks. 

CDN Aviator said:
Have you ever been disoriented flying an aircraft ?

Yes in a glider caught in a cloud with a mountain on our right, major pucker factor it was for a 16 year old (Not in Cadets but a soaring club.) The instructor made me fly a compass course and watch the bubble indicator and the yaw string, while he watched air speed and altitude.

Colin P said:
Yes in a glider caught in a cloud with a mountain on our right, major pucker factor it was for a 16 year old (Not in Cadets but a soaring club.) The instructor made me fly a compass course and watch the bubble indicator and the yaw string, while he watched air speed and altitude.

I'd trust the yaw string.....bubble?  Not so much.

Back