• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the dumbest thing you heard said today?

"in August 2009, two college-age Best Buy employees were fired from a Broomfield, Colorado Best Buy after tackling an alleged shoplifter. A Best Buy spokeswoman said all employees "are aware, and trained, on the standard operating procedures for dealing with shoplifting or theft – which includes ceasing pursuit of a suspected shoplifter once they exit the store." This, she said, was for the safety of employees.":
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/76543/post-929077.html#msg929077
This thread: Reply #1565 on: April 29, 2010, 11:46:54

Occam said:
If the employee gets injured in the act of apprehension, the state should be responsible under "Good Samaritan" laws.

That is for providing First-aid:
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_01g02_e.htm

Occam said:
No, it's still an irrational basis behind odd policies.  Lawyers tend to cause these problems, and only legislators have the power to fix them.

If the shoplifter gets injured in the act of apprehension, the state should be responsible for medical costs - as part of their resulting incarceration.

If the employee gets injured in the act of apprehension, the state should be responsible under "Good Samaritan" laws.

Evil thrives when good men do nothing.  Doing good should pay while crime should not.

Perhaps, but unless those changes are made to protect those involved, the retailer's profit driven decision-making process operates within the bounds of the current limitations. That forms the basis of a rational process (i.e., it is a logical conclusion within existing restraints), whether or not it aligns with anyone's perceptions of the value of moral actions by individuals.

Michael O'Leary said:
Perhaps, but unless those changes are made to protect those involved, the retailer's profit driven decision-making process operates within the bounds of the current limitations. That forms the basis of a rational process (i.e., it is a logical conclusion within existing restraints), whether or not it aligns with anyone's perceptions of the value of moral actions by individuals.

The CPC has started turning the namby pamby nanny policies of previous governments and Crown Attorneys and is moving to give the 'everyman' the right to defend their property without interference of overzealous police, prosecutors and insurance companies.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2010/10/29/chen-verdict.html

mariomike said:
That is for providing First-aid:
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_01g02_e.htm

I said should be, not is responsible.

"If the employee gets injured in the act of apprehension, the state should be responsible under "Good Samaritan" laws."

That would be WSIB. In Ontario, at least.
"No-fault insurance: The WSIB generally does not consider who is at fault when determining benefits.":
http://www.wsib.on.ca/en/community/WSIB/ArticleDetail?vgnextoid=2cb9e35c819d7210VgnVCM100000449c710aRCRD

mariomike said:
"If the employee gets injured in the act of apprehension, the state should be responsible under "Good Samaritan" laws."

That would be WSIB. In Ontario, at least.
"No-fault insurance: The WSIB generally does not consider who is at fault when determining benefits.":
http://www.wsib.on.ca/en/community/WSIB/ArticleDetail?vgnextoid=2cb9e35c819d7210VgnVCM100000449c710aRCRD

Just to clarify what mm said.

That is the role of another branch of the Ministry of Labour (in Ontario). A report of an injured worker will result in an investigation by an Occupational Health & Safety Inspector to determine fault(s) and remedies.

Ohio Boys Suspended For Farting On School Bus

Article

An Ohio seventh-grader was suspended last week for doing arguably the most predictable thing a 13-year-old boy could do for a laugh on the school bus. He cut the cheese.

Canal Winchester Middle School students Anthony Nichols and another boy lost their bus privileges on Friday for their stinky stunt, which prompted the customary rousing laughter and "lowering of windows," according to the Columbus Dispatch.

Administrators ruled that the flatulence was in violation of the school's code of conduct, but if you ask Nichols' parents, the decision reeks of poor judgement.

"It's very laughable, that's what it is," said Anthony's father, James Nichols. He said he spoke with the school's vice principal, Daniel Senu-Oke, who "suggested my son should hold his gas on this hour-long bus ride."

For a concerned parent, however, that answer just doesn't cut it.

"When it happens, it just happens," he said. "It's not intentional."

But perhaps it is. According to the bus driver and school officials, the 13-year-old Nichols and his partner in crime are repeat offenders with a history of passing gas on the school bus.

Still, for the boy's mother, Kristine Kuzora, who has suffered from gastrointestinal issues herself, the incident hits a little too close to home.

"I take great offense to passing gas being cause for suspension and marked as an obscene gesture," Kuzora wrote to The Dispatch.

hmmm, What's Up with random erections?!?!  ;D

or for that matter let's take it further and outlaw perky nipples.  At least cover the offending appendages

Never mind I was not asking to find out just trying some word play. ah well

I am guessing that is his dumbest thing he heard today.  Of course that is just a guess

CDN Aviator said:
Try reading the thread title.............

Ahhhhh....sorry- when I read his respnse I thought he was referring to the post above about random erections.

Entertainment website TMZ said sources claimed producers were concerned the singer's Newcastle accent was too strong for US audiences.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13558288

Found on Yahoo News:

Seismologists Tried for Manslaughter for Not Predicting Earthquake

Earthquake prediction can be a grave, and faulty science, and in the case of Italian seismologists who are being tried for the manslaughter of the people who died in the 2009 L'Aquila quake, it can have legal consequences.

The group of seven, including six seismologists and a government official, reportedly didn't alert the public ahead of time of the risk of the L'Aquila earthquake, which occurred on April 6 of that year, killing around 300 people, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

More at link

Well, I guess people can start suing weathermen, too..........      ::)

PMedMoe said:
Found on Yahoo News:

Earthquake prediction can be a grave, and faulty science, and in the case of Italian seismologists who are being tried for the manslaughter of the people who died in the 2009 L'Aquila quake, it can have legal consequences.

The group of seven, including six seismologists and a government official, reportedly didn't alert the public ahead of time of the risk of the L'Aquila earthquake, which occurred on April 6 of that year, killing around 300 people, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

More at link

Why stop with weathermen?  ;D

PMedMoe said:
Found on Yahoo News:

More at link

Upcoming news story lead paragraph: 
"For the fifth month in a row, Italian government seismologists have unsuccessfully predicted an earthquake.  Italian earthquake monitoring agency spokesperson Giuseppe Blogginsoni says, "we can never be too careful, given the unpredictable nature of seismic events."  Meanwhile, a row between officials in the region and Rome continues over who should pay for precautions taken as a result of the inaccurate predictions...."
Be careful what you wish for....

Back