• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the dumbest thing you heard said today?

From top-student in "Sensitive 101" class:
CorporalMajor said:
Hey, bet all your earnings on "B" but I'm telling the absolute truth, and no matter how out to lunch the story sounds, sometimes reality is more retarded than fiction.

Or do you really think I'm just making this up for sh_ts and giggles? Then fine, don't believe me, but I still am telling a true story. Some people laughed at the idea of the earth being round.

Mind you, it's early and I'm spending the day in NDHQ; I'm sure dumber things await  ;D

CorporalMajor said:
Hey, bet all your earnings on "B" but I'm telling the absolute truth, and no matter how out to lunch the story sounds, sometimes reality is more retarded than fiction.

Or do you really think I'm just making this up for sh_ts and giggles? Then fine, don't believe me, but I still am telling a true story. Some people laughed at the idea of the earth being round.

Sorry. You're going to have to back this with more complete information (Unit, Brigade, etc), circumstances and criteria. What were the overall results of this drive? Stuff like that. Otherwise it can't be taken as serious. Least not as serious as we can take an anonymous user on a forum vouching for his even more anonymous source, supposedly somewhere in the CF. Get the picture?

before I came on here it was "good morning"  then I read the comments from CorporalMajor.

recceguy said:
Sorry. You're going to have to back this with more complete information (Unit, Brigade, etc), circumstances and criteria. What were the overall results of this drive? Stuff like that. Otherwise it can't be taken as serious. Least not as serious as we can take an anonymous user on a forum vouching for his even more anonymous source, supposedly somewhere in the CF. Get the picture?
OK, that's fair:

It's a three year infantryman Cpl in GGFG, who are part of 33 CBG, who has been faced with this decision.  The person who spoke of this, is a friend of mine who is a Cbt Engr in 33 CER, same brigade, on his PLQ right now.  I know the sapper through my JR Ranks mess (I'm in 28 SVC, who share the same mess), and he is a very honest staight-shooting soldier just as I am.  So no, this is not rubbish.  It is also not the first time I have heard of it being done.

The GGFG guy was to choose between the three:
"You will do your PLQ"
"You will earn a commission"
"You will see your way to the door"

And that is what happened.  He decidied to earn a commission and he's taking officer crses right now.

The rationale behind this, appears to be that if he's not going to take PLQ/BMOQ right away, they might as well release him since 1) they can find someone else to do it, 2) they believe that him merely doing it later after having gained real exp. isn't good enough, and that he is wasting space by staying where he is.

But in the process, by releasing this guy, or someone at a similar point in their career they are getting rid of someone they spend a fair amount of time and money training, not to mention, having to RECRUIT and retrain yet another person, and making the demand for instructors worse little by little.

You can call this dumb or "sensitivity 101", I don't really care, but it's a true story.  If you still do not believe me, then fine, I guess I just joined this forum to make up false stories and spread lies..  ???

The overall results? I don't think many people faced with that decision wanted release from the CF so the results have been some rather inexperienced or immature people winding up in charge of others (others though have done OK).  NCOs lead by experience, and without enough substantial experience, how are they going to lead well?  Regardless of what I have to work on - I've met products of this drive that are far below what initiative, intellect and competency a leadership role should expect of them (both Officers and NCOs).

ummm - you do realize it is not that easy to release someone, especially if they are not willing to go? 

my guess is that it is an idle threat.

CountDC said:
ummm - you do realize it is not that easy to release someone, especially if they are not willing to go? 

Again, Agreed.

You cannot threaten someone with release for refusing leadership training, or not wanting to commission.
Who gave that young soldier those three options?

CountDC said:

I'm RMS as well. Everyone knows how much work releasing is.  But if the CO and co. decides Bloggins is no good to them, does Bloggins really have a say?

You are right it probably was an idle threat.  Whether they WILL or CAN do it is beyond me.  But it's not like this individual is going to question the ideas of someone that is five or more ranks above them.  These young soldiers probably don't know the rulebook either.  So in the end they give their COC the benefit of the doubt, seriously believing that they can be released if they don't play along.

You cannot threaten someone with release for refusing leadership training, or not wanting to commission.
Who gave that young soldier those three options?
I don't know exactly who gave him the options. Probably his Ops/BN Leadership. But LFCA in general has been at a deficit of MCpls for the last half-decade thanks to the sudden surge of people joining up.

So given how not just 33BDE, or whatever unit is in dire need of leaders - My guess is that whomever was above THAT decision wasn't very light handed either - "Your unit/bde/area WILL provide X amount of people for PLQ Mods1-5" et al....

Cpl Major, you have much to learn my young friend!

When Bde Comd A says to CO of The Whatever Regt, "I want you to generate X number of MCPls, or pers for Mods" The CO of The Whatever Regiment owes it to the Chain of Comd and ther troops that are under his comd to tell the truth and state what needs to be stated.
If there are not enough suitable candidates, he must inform his next higher.

OldSolduer said:
Cpl Major, you have much to learn my young friend!

When Bde Comd A says to CO of The Whatever Regt, "I want you to generate X number of MCPls, or pers for Mods" The CO of The Whatever Regiment owes it to the Chain of Comd and ther troops that are under his comd to tell the truth and state what needs to be stated.
If there are not enough suitable candidates, he must inform his next higher.
Oh I know I have lots to learn...my ears are always open..
but some people I know in the same situation have been dealt with VERY differently by their units.

again, I have heard of the whole "progress or release" options that us juniors have been given on more than a few occasions. Some medic I know was denied any full time employment for a given time unless she did her PLQ.

On the other hand, I have seen some of my peers in my unit deny it and they haven't been hassled at all, my staff seem understanding of letting people find their own feet before leading others.

So who knows how any given unit does it.  I do hope that every person in that position tells it like it is, just as you said..

"denied full time employment" does NOT equal "release"

Just thought I'd throw that out there.. we had 3 people who had been furniture in one the units I work with get told they were not having their class Bs renewed.. meh.

CorporalMajor said:
I'm RMS as well. Everyone knows how much work releasing is.  But if the CO and co. decides Bloggins is no good to them, does Bloggins really have a say?

It's called a Redress of Grievance. 

One of my roommates came up to me and said: "Hey, check out my new tattoo."

The tattoo said 'Never forget the future'... ???

I'm still not sure how I kept from laughing.

[RICE] said:
One of my roommates came up to me and said: "Hey, check out my new tattoo."

The tattoo said 'Never forget the future'... ???

I'm still not sure how I kept from laughing.

Some Air Force guy I saw at CG had his Service Number tattooed on his body.  ::)

I guess he's Protected A now?

CorporalMajor said:
Some Air Force guy I saw at CG had his Service Number tattooed on his body.  ::)

Haha, he also has two other tattoos, one is a Mandarin symbol for perseverance (or so he thought) which turns out to mean nothing, and the other is the initials of his girl friend...

Needless to say this further reinforces my belief that tattoos should be something you think about for more than a day...

A while ago, a girl in my class asked me how to spell the name of our high school...
And I was thinking to myself, "Yes, because we've only been here for 4 years now!!"

[RICE] said:
Haha, he also has two other tattoos, one is a Mandarin symbol for perseverance (or so he thought) which turns out to mean nothing, and the other is the initials of his girl friend...

Needless to say this further reinforces my belief that tattoos should be something you think about for more than a day...

I like the Norman Rockwell painting of the USN sailor in the tattoo parlour. He has a list of ladies names, one after the other, descending from his left shoulder. All, except for the lastest now going under his skin, have lines drawn through them, and are becoming faded. Judging by the ethnicity of the names, he has visited many foreign ports of call:
http://www.tribal-celtic-tattoo.com/images/labels/rockwell.jpg

CorporalMajor said:

My son had his SN tattooed on his arm. It was a beautiful tattoo. We cannot see it anymore, and I don't see the hum or in your post.

i was on a fire call this morning for a rollover and the victim said to the OPP "It didn't look slippery. But i was doing the speed limit."  OPP "How fast were your travelling?" victim " I was going 100km/h"  OPP " But the speed limit is 80km/h"  Victim " BUT IT didn't look slippery"

the Victim was uninjured thankfully but was charged.

Now driving to the call were loosing traction due to the ice, and it was around 6AM 

Back