• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the dumbest thing you heard said today?

medicineman said:
The one next door to mine... ::).  But hey, it's BC, what could you expect?

MM

Thanks.  I'm out of country, and the news here was very sparse, only that Harper had won a majority, and that the NDP replaced the Liberals as the LOYAL Opposition and that the Greens had elected a member to the House.

Kid at RCSCC: "Oh. So World War One was before World War Two?"
*This was in front of the CO.*
Me: *Facepalm* Yes, you dumbass. Now STFU. Now. Before you ask when World War Three was."
Kid: "World War Three? Wasn't that in 2001?"
Me: *Walks away*

RemembranceDay said:
Kid at RCSCC: "Oh. So World War One was before World War Two?"
*This was in front of the CO.*
Me: *Facepalm* Yes, you dumbass. Now STFU. Now. Before you ask when World War Three was."
Kid: "World War Three? Wasn't that in 2001?"
Me: *Walks away*

Congratulations - this is now the dumbest thing I've seen today.

This is going to sound harsh, but it needs to be said:

You're an Able Cadet, not an Able Seaman.  Able Seaman is a rank in the CF, not Cadets.  Secondly, at the lofty rank of Able Cadet, I hope you're not addressing Ordinary Cadets as "dumbass", and telling them to STFU.  I certainly don't think you're saying that in front of your CO, or you'd have been straightened out very quickly.  If I'd have caught you doing that many, many, many moons ago when I was Coxwain of my corps, you'd have been straightened out very quickly.  Instead of belittling them, how about teaching them about something which they obviously don't know about?  That's what the Cadet program is supposed to be about - making better, smarter youth citizens, not making fun of people.

Occam said:
Congratulations - this is now the dumbest thing I've seen today.

This is going to sound harsh, but it needs to be said:

You're an Able Cadet, not an Able Seaman.  Able Seaman is a rank in the CF, not Cadets.  Secondly, at the lofty rank of Able Cadet, I hope you're not addressing Ordinary Cadets as "dumbass", and telling them to STFU.  I certainly don't think you're saying that in front of your CO, or you'd have been straightened out very quickly.  If I'd have caught you doing that many, many, many moons ago when I was Coxwain of my corps, you'd have been straightened out very quickly.  Instead of belittling them, how about teaching them about something which they obviously don't know about?  That's what the Cadet program is supposed to be about - making better, smarter youth citizens, not making fun of people.

Just clairifying-This was an Leading Seaman

The CO had already left, shaking her head.
This kid was in grade 11 (I know him personally. He should have known this.)
I don't know about you, but in our Corp, they call us Able (or Leading, Ordinary, Master... whatever) SEAMAN. Even our CO and XO.
It was more of a joke, how I said it. You had to be there to fully understand.

RemembranceDay said:
Just clairifying-This was an Leading Seaman

The CO had already left, shaking her head.
This kid was in grade 11 (I know him personally. He should have known this.)
I don't know about you, but in our Corp, they call us Able (or Leading, Ordinary, Master... whatever) SEAMAN. Even our CO and XO.
It was more of a joke, how I said it. You had to be there to fully understand.

I'll take back what I said about the ranks - I see on Cadets.ca that for some reason, they've abandoned O/C, A/C and L/C for Ordinary/Able/Leading Seaman.  Doesn't sound right to me, but it's not my call.

Regardless, what you said was inappropriate, joke or not.  In the CF, I don't go about telling my subordinates (and especially not my peers or superiors) to STFU, or call them dumbass, regardless of the situation.  Being a cadet doesn't make it right, either.

I just heard a conversation that went something like this on CFRA in reference to a "split vote" system:

Caller (C): I voted for the NDP, but how did part of my vote go to the Liberals?

Host (H): It doesn't. The split vote means that people either voted for the Liberals or the NDP, allowing the Conservatives to win. For example, say the CPC candidate got 10,000 votes and the Liberal got 8,000 and the NDP got 6,000. In this example the Conservative won with 10,000 votes, but if the others had all voted for the Liberal or the NDP, their candidate would have won.

C: But I don't want my vote to go the Liberals.

H (with incredulous tone growing by the minute): It won't but in this cases more people voted for the Liberals and the NDP than voted for the Conservative, but he won because he had the most votes.

C: But how can people vote for two candidates? I don't understand.

Somewhere in the process C then called Harper "Hitler Harper" which allowed H to change the subject and launch into a lecture on courtesy and common sense vesrus free speech.

Edit to add: C was concerned because she voted NDP to prevent Harper from getting a majority, but he got one anyway because of the split vote system. She couldn't understand why or how her vote was split, thus allowing Harper to get his majority.

Old Sweat said:
I just heard a conversation that went something like this on CFRA in reference to a "split vote" system:

Caller (C): I voted for the NDP, but how did part of my vote go to the Liberals?

Host (H): It doesn't. The split vote means that people either voted for the Liberals or the NDP, allowing the Conservatives to win. For example, say the CPC candidate got 10,000 votes and the Liberal got 8,000 and the NDP got 6,000. In this example the Conservative won with 10,000 votes, but if the others had all voted for the Liberal or the NDP, their candidate would have won.

C: But I don't want my vote to go the Liberals.

H (with incredulous tone growing by the minute): It won't but in this cases more people voted for the Liberals and the NDP than voted for the Conservative, but he won because he had the most votes.

C: But how can people vote for two candidates? I don't understand.

Somewhere in the process C then called Harper "Hitler Harper" which allowed H to change the subject and launch into a lecture on courtesy and common sense vesrus free speech.

Edit to add: C was concerned because she voted NDP to prevent Harper from getting a majority, but he got one anyway because of the split vote system. She couldn't understand why or how her vote was split, thus allowing Harper to get his majority.

I'm reminded of a quote often attributed to P.T. Barnum:

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

Substituting "Canadian" for "American" in this case might seem appropriate.

Sigh.... :-\

So many villages without their idiots.

Have a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNBNqUdqm1E&feature=related

A 2009 study of more than 10,000 people in 18 countries in Europe, the US, South America and Africa found that, apart from in some polygamous societies, men and women tend to have the same number of offspring.

This was how a website tried to prove whether men were more/as/less promiscuous than women, by looking at how many children people have. I've gone through a period of great promiscuity accomplishments, and my child count sits firmly at 0. I'm 100% certain that I'm not the only one.

:facepalm:

Edited for clarity.

Pretty much every time some reserve geezer tries to tell me his war story from (Northern Ireland, Bosnia, other gay UN tours and 'hardcore' field ex's)....

If your that person, just know that every time you start telling me about that one gunshot you heard that one day watching some gate in Ireland/Bosnia etc - I'm just thinking about how badly I want to head butt your nose into pulp.

torunisfun said:
Pretty much every time some reserve geezer tries to tell me his war story from (Northern Ireland, Bosnia, other gay UN tours and 'hardcore' field ex's)....

If your that person, just know that every time you start telling me about that one gunshot you heard that one day watching some gate in Ireland/Bosnia etc - I'm just thinking about how badly I want to head butt your nose into pulp.
Hang on.....based on your posts, are you not some Reservist (with bad dental work), who may or may not now have a "war story" ??

It's in "Radio Chatter" -- I actually don't care either way  ::) 

Ohhhhhh boy... So I'm in residential construction, my employer and I could loosely be described as the guys that sort things out when things go awry... today our homebuilder directed us to get a basement framing job sorted out. Upon arriving at said basement, a "framer" was snapping out chalklines for baseplates (the bottom of a frame wall). The line was out about 8 inches over 10 feet...

Me: What's up with this line man? It's out by a half a foot or more.

Framer: My chalkline is crooked.

Me: *speechless*, with look of utter disbelief

My Boss: What the $#! do you mean, your chalkline is crooked!?!?

Framer: I bought it yesterday and it wont snap a straight line.

Me: I'm 100% certain the problem isnt with the chalkline.

Framer: Are you saying I did this wrong? $#@! you!

Me: I was trying to be polite, but seeing as how you don't wanna play ball, here's the deal: Your measuring needs work, cause this line is about as crooked as Paul Martin.

Framer: $#@!##$ $#@#$%

Me: I'm pretty sure that you wouldnt survive that ride. Tell you what: let's measure this right and get this basement built so's the drywallers can get this boarded.

Framer: #$@#$ this, I'm outta here.

Me: Sold!

My experience with chalklines is limited to creating giant checkerboards, but dont they work on tension when pulled tight and the lift line and snap down?

torunisfun said:
I'm just thinking about how badly I want to head butt your nose into pulp.

Better think fast before someone with way cooler stories that you decides to headbutt YOUR nose into pulp.

torunisfun said:

Hey you're a pretty funny guy. Some of those "Reserve geezers" have actually been shot at,,,,or shot.

Fill out your profile. Lets see YOUR bona fides. And FYI, Nothern Ireland was a nasty little affair that lasted 30 years. The IRA used similar tactics that the Taliban have copied, ie the use of IEDs. You may want to wind your neck in before someone chops it off.

Oh....my "gay" UN tours - Cyprus, Croatia - (Medak Pocket)
When I was the gate guard at The Ledra Palace Hotel.....

Back