• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

When did Canada become so bad ass?

a_majoor

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
The Americans are really noticing Canada, (or perhaps rediscovering us). How long our new "bad ass" reputation remains depends a lot on the current government and the continuing "narrative" that the Conservatives have created, though.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/02/19/when-did-canada-get-so-badass/?EL.fb

When Did Canada Get So Badass?
7:21 PM 02/19/2015

In contrast with some recent American fumbles in addressing security threats abroad, Canada has been speaking frankly to today’s international villains in words and deeds.

When it became clear that Vladimir Putin had no intention of observing last weekend’s ceasefire in Ukraine, the White House’s Josh Earnest warned that the Russians had “not lived up to their commitments.”

Canada’s Prime Minister Stephen Harper, on the other hand, demanded an end to “the Putin regime’s ongoing military aggression.”

And while President Barack Obama struggled to articulate the religion of ISIS’ latest beheadings in Libya, Harper was “outraged and saddened by the beheadings of Egyptian Coptic Orthodox Christians,” and sent “my deepest condolences to the families and friends of those killed and to the Coptic community here in Canada.” (RELATED: Obama Alone In Ignoring Roots Of Islamist Terror)

Canada has the world’s biggest Ukrainian community outside the former Soviet Union, which contributes to its strong stance against Russian aggression in Eastern Europe. Following this week’s broken truce, Harper imposed a new round of financial sanctions and travel bans against Russia. For its part, Russia dismissed the attempt at punishing its economy as “awkward.”

Harper has also proposed deploying Canadian troops to the country’s west, on a joint mission with the United States designed to help train Ukrainian soldiers. (RELATED: Ukraine Cease-Fire Not Really A Thing)

When Russian soldiers in uniform “accidentally” found themselves in Ukraine last summer, the Canadian mission to NATO tweeted some stern advice to Putin’s forces:

Meanwhile, in Iraq, Canadian special forces are on the front lines against ISIS, training and assisting Kurdish troops and contributing to the coalition air campaign.

Harper’s conservative-led government has also set an example for the United States on other foreign-affairs concerns. In 2013, he established a Religious Freedom office in Canada’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, appointing Andrew Bennett as the Ambassador for Religious Freedom. When it was created, its corresponding office at the State Department had gone leaderless for over half of Obama’s presidency.

Since assuming the office, Bennett has traveled extensively in Asia, Europe and the Middle East. He has also spoken several times in Washington D.C. on the centrality of religious freedom to Canada’s foreign policy, at a time when terrorism and armed conflict threaten religious communities around the world.

Though some Americans ridicule Canada as a country of milquetoasts whose police ride horses, perhaps their northern neighbor has a thing or two to teach them about calling a spade a spade.

Follow Ivan Plis on Twitter

How much of what Harper does is pre-election strategy and how much of it is true belief that it's the right thing to do.
Either way, it's a far cry from the traditional pacifist/peacekeeping stance we've had in the past (minus Afghanistan of course), and I kind of like it.

I wouldn't be so sure.  The tone of that article is so right-wing (or anti-Obama) that North Korea would have been touted as a shining example just to slam the US president.

I think that Americans are noticing Canada, and other countries, as years of the "USA #1" mindset have started to change.  When meeting Americans abroad, I've noticed a fair few of them saying "I'm from the US - please don't hate me".

RubberTree said:
And Korea, WWII, WW1 etc... Our peacekeeping stories are but a part of our military history.

agreed. WWI and 2 are great examples of bravery and sacrifice Canadians made.
I meant  to say that in the last 20 years, I have more often heard our government taking a less aggressive position, being more careful with how responses were phrased.
At least it seems that way to me.

I think they are still smarting about the outcome of the War of 1812.  ;D

Wow, check out the comments (or maybe you had better not) of that blog. I thought there were ignorant gum flappers on cbc.ca.

Gronk said:
Wow, check out the comments (or maybe you had better not) of that blog. I thought there were ignorant gum flappers on cbc.ca.

I don't think there is comment section anywhere that has any particularly intelligent people posting, since most are not regulated/moderated in any sort of discernible fashion.

Hatchet Man said:
I don't think there is comment section anywhere that has any particularly intelligent people posting, since most are not regulated/moderated in any sort of discernible fashion.
Present company excepted, of course.

At least in my case, I know every comment I have posted on this forum has been insightful, intelligent and helpful. No need to check my posting history, you can just take my word on that.

Naturally.  This site is the cornerstone of mansplaining - reasoned, well-informed, authoritative discourse.

Back