• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Will 2021 see a new pistol buy?

Will the CAF's new pistol be a:

• the new US service pistol, the Sig Sauer P320 (M17/M18)?

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • the British version of the Glock 17?

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • a Beretta APX?

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • a Canadian designed Black Creek Labs PX17?

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • a Norinco?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • something else?

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For Glock's claims of "supporting the troops" they sure are going out of their way to screw the CAF out of a new pistol over an $18 million contract.
That's because they tried (and failed) to do the same thing for the US Army pistol buy.

What- the buy or Glock‘s temper tantrum?
Happy Joel Mchale GIF by ABC Network

So the BHP will end up with a service life similar to the Brown Bess?

I am sure that there is a crate or two of Brown Bess bayonets languishing under several feet of dust in some supply depot somewhere. Somebody should dig around. Perhaps they can be adapted to fit the Browning Bess.

I am sure that there is a crate or two of Brown Bess bayonets languishing under several feet of dust in some supply depot somewhere. Somebody should dig around. Perhaps they can be adapted to fit the Browning Bess.
Weld a Pic rail onto the BHP, add a coat of blueing, some Pachmayr grips and 3-dot sights. Good as new.

I don't get why it "has" to be modular and have quick change calibre conversions and different barrel length and grip configurations available. We all know it's only ever going to be 9mm and one barrel length. Are they going to have all these exchange kits and barrels, slides and grips in storage in case we need them on a particular mission? Are troops being issued a pistol going to be able to request a different grip insert?

Seems like it would be easier to issue the units with a legitimate requirement for something different a different pistol that meets their needs.

The grips are for people with different size hands. Much like how with the older model C7s we had different butt lengths to accommodate people of different sizes with different grips you will be able to adjust your grip so as to be able to properly hold the pistol. With GBA+ (and wanting soldiers to be able to comfortably and safely use the pistol) this is in my opinion a legitimate requirement.

The S&W M&P 2.0 has replaceable palm swells that change the grip size. And 9mm, .357 SIG and .40 are the same frame so it's just a matter of changing the slide.

The option to change calibre and slide/barrel length seems like a "nice to have" feature that will never get used in practice.

The option to change calibre and slide/barrel length seems like a "nice to have" feature that will never get used in practice.
If the Army ever gets serious about teaching pistol correctly and effectively to the masses, starting a newbie out on a .22 cal platform is far cheaper and more effective. Remember the .22 cal inserts for the C1A1?

If the Army ever gets serious about teaching pistol correctly and effectively to the masses, starting a newbie out on a .22 cal platform is far cheaper and more effective. Remember the .22 cal inserts for the C1A1?
That would actually be a game changer, if we started teaching pistolery that way.

What is this "teaching" of which you speak? Cpl Noreau in the back of a MLVW delivering his four minute conversion training from the C1 to the C7? Experiential learning on the BHP on the range? Almost enough ammo to qualify, but not do any of the familiarization and practices?

What is this "teaching" of which you speak? Cpl Noreau in the back of a MLVW delivering his four minute conversion training from the C1 to the C7? Experiential learning on the BHP on the range? Almost enough ammo to qualify, but not do any of the familiarization and practices?
Yup, we served in the same Army.

You mean one of these:

1627048770069.png

1627048810109.png

The C-7 Family of Weapons was conceived with a C-10 rifle as well - a .22 caliber version of the C-7. It was to be both a trainer, and a replacement for the Cadet rifle C No7 and the .22 conversion for the FN C1.

The problem was, that at about the same time as the C-7 FOW was being brought online, there was some concerns identified about the indoor ranges in the CAF's facilities.

Studies were done, and basically every one of those ranges was condemned in fairly short order. Cadets were switching to air rifles, and the planned C-10 was dropped. I am aware that there were possibly as few as 5 of them built based on discussions I had years ago with someone who worked at Colt Canada and had access to their reference collection.

I have a sub-cal set for an AR, used it in my Nork (Eff you JT) and it's great for doing CQB and drills with. Accuracy sucks after 30m as it uses the standard barrel. But it's a great tool and easy to use.

I have a sub-cal set for an AR, used it in my Nork (Eff you JT) and it's great for doing CQB and drills with. Accuracy sucks after 30m as it uses the standard barrel. But it's a great tool and easy to use.
I have a couple of different ones for the AR platform. I also have a sub kit for my .45 Commander. They all work flawlessly. Glock, Sig & Beretta all have .22 sub kits an full sized pistols in .22. For the government, 20 of these per unit, would not be a big deal and what is does costs them will be saved in ammo costs.

Back