• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

World War 3, If It Comes, Will Reserve Units Be Involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OP should be better informed. World War III has already happened.

He has forgotten about the little skirmish that took place in the 1980's between NATO and the Warsaw Pact forces (if indeed he is even old enough to have been alive at that time).

Perhaps he should read the following detailed accounts of what took place, from the lead up to war to execution and the aftermath.

"The Third World War" - Gen. Sir John Hackett

"Red Storm Rising" - Thomas Clancy

"Team Yankee" - Harold Coyle

"Red Army" - Ralph Peters

There was an excellent documentary on the Third World War as well titled "Red Dawn". Patrick Swayze does an extra ordinary effort in this film.

;)

Frankly I think Red Dawn was a ridiculous dramatization. Red Storm Rising is about as accurate a portrayal as I think you'll find in a fictionalized form about how it went down, particularly the breakthrough at Alfeld. They did a great job with the partisans in Iceland- that almost always gets overlooked, particularly its impact in helping neutralize Soviet naval aviation.

It's fascinating how almost perfectly the Atlantic convoys illustrated the generational leap in military technology in a comfortable and familiar strategic context.

We're so very lucky that Gorbachev's faction ultimately was able to depose the politburo and restore sanity to the USSR for the last few years of its existence...

I'm still with the majority on not calling it a 'world war'. I mean, yeah, it damn near brewed up into one- but really it was a sort of extended skirmish of a month's length. The other global theatres didn't open up as they'd have needed to for me to give it the label.

Brihard said:
I'm still with the majority on not calling it a 'world war'. I mean, yeah, it damn near brewed up into one- but really it was a sort of extended skirmish of a month's length. The other global theatres didn't open up as they'd have needed to for me to give it the label.

I've always found the academic debate on this point to be interesting. More of a trees vs forest argument.

Sure it was limited to Europe, but it was the culmination of years of posturing and proxy wars resulting in a full deployment of superpower armies, and ultimately the limited nuclear exchange that have some calling it a "world" war.

Brihard said:
Frankly I think Red Dawn was a ridiculous dramatization.

Are you talking about the remake (which I refuse to watch), or John Milius' sacred original?

Should world war 3 be WORLD WAR 3 since it is the name of a world war or should it be world war 3 because it has not happened yet?  And both Red Dawns sucked, although they were useful in creating the militia movement.

Loachman said:
Are you talking about the remake (which I refuse to watch), or John Milius' sacred original?

I like how the kid who got killed came back from the dead to haunt Demi Moore when she became a special forces soldier.

Or am I mixing up several different movies?

Loachman said:
Ah, they don't write 'em like they used to ....
RedDawn1984-Balisong-400-1-sg.gif

"That hate's gonna burn you up, kid"
"It keeps me warm"

Red Storm Rising was fiction? Crap no wonder those campers in Iceland were pissed at us when we stole their supplies and headed into the hills to call in air strikes on the town.

Does this mean I have to give back my Cold War Victory Medal

Danjanou said:
Does this mean I have to give back my Cold War Victory Medal
No, all your Frontiersmen bling is still valid...well, as legit as it ever was.  :whistle:

Update:
MILPOINTS:
Danjanou thought you were Inappropriate and noted "Prick " about your post titled Re: World War 3, If It Comes, Will Reserve Units Be Involved?.
        :bowing:
;D

Edit: update

I guess we shouldn't be talking about the clone storage units under the Diefenbaker bunkers? Or that ripple rock was really a UFO that we blew up, but the secret tunnels remain there.....

Kat Stevens said:
At least one reserve unit will be well led, I understand young Trudeau has joined his father's regiment, The Gatineau Highlanders.

I thought Trudeau senior served in the Algonquin Park Naval Reserve Unit ???

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I thought Trudeau senior served in the Algonquin Park Naval Reserve Unit ???

No, the West Edmonton Mall Naval Reserve Unit.

With 4 subs and a squad of trained dolphins, they are a really switched on bunch. I still have a few questions about their deployment plan, though....

I think the obvious response is only on Tuesday nights and weekends....and not during exam time

Poppa said:
I think the obvious response is only on Tuesday nights and weekends....and not during exam time

So all those who Parade on other evenings get a "Bi"?

Colin P said:
I guess we shouldn't be talking about the clone storage units under the Diefenbaker bunkers? Or that ripple rock was really a UFO that we blew up, but the secret tunnels remain there.....

Careful you've said too much. Next they'll find out the LOF is actually the cover for JTF69

George Wallace said:
So all those who Parade on other evenings get a "Bi"?

Not going there 8)

JM update that to ungrateful prick I gave you 300 mil points, good for all your Christmas shopping I'm sure. ;D

MaximusFarseer said:
I would expect nothing less from a bunch of indoctrinated military types. Just because I don't subsribe with views of mainstream media it means I am a wacko. An intelligent man analyzes the information that is presented to him with an open minded, no matter how crazy it sounds. An ignorant and pathetic man (much like yourself?) deems anything that goes against his world view as crazy so this is why he thinks I am a wacko. You can continue with personal insults on an internet forum, I will only respond with ones directed against me, good job.

I've got to stop taking days off from this forum...look Nostradamus, if you don't want us to assume you're a nutter, then please don't assume that a "bunch of indoctrinated military types" are (a) all stupid and (b) don't think for ourselves.  While (a) may be true for some in the Forces, most aren't.  As for (b), Canadian soldiers are well known the world over to be pretty much the opposite, almost to the point of it being pathological...something similar to your apparent paranoia.  By virtue of what we do/have done for a living, we tend to think about what the MSM spouts off with a large degree of critical thought and or cynicism...especially when we ourselves might end up in Unga Bunga land doing the deed you apparently are interested in collecting a pay cheque off of learning, but not actually participating in.

As to your original question, if the balloon goes up and the government feels it's necessary, an Order in Council will be enacted and the Primary Reserve would be placed on active service.  If this potentially bothers you even in the slightest, I'd suggest looking for a different part time job.  Also, Reervists aren't held to contracts like they are in the Regular Force.

Edit for a spelling oops.

MM

medicineman said:
...especially when we ourselved might end up in Unga Bunga land doing the deed you apparently are interested in collecting a pay cheque off of learning, but not actually participating in.
Completely agree with your entire post MM, but the highlighted part almost made me fall of my chair laughing.  Milpoints inbound! ;D

Danjanou said:
JM update that to ungrateful prick.....
  :bowdown:  Oh, I was grateful....especially knowing how sensitive you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back