• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Yeah the .50 is coming back

was the gun mounted on one of the new turrets?
Turrets were designed to carry either C6 or 50... and conceivably an AGL

geo said:
was the gun mounted on one of the new turrets?
Turrets were designed to carry either C6 or 50... and conceivably an AGL

Yup..It was. I'll see if I can catch a pic of one this week.

vonGarvin said:
Well, mech/light battalions are just force generators for whatever's needed: mounted or otherwise.  But, given the choice between 138 grams of tungsten going at 1410 metres per second and a ball round going much MUCH slower, well, I'd take the tungsten :)

Muzzle velocity for APFSDS-T is 1405m/s, not 1410m/s.... now where's my cookie? ;D

FAPDS-T is 1310m/s. I'm on my gunner course.

Wonderbread said:
Muzzle velocity for APFSDS-T is 1405m/s, not 1410m/s.... now where's my cookie? ;D

FAPDS-T is 1310m/s. I'm on my gunner course.
What's 5m/sec between friends? :-P
But you are, of course, correct (though it is +/- a few metres)

Cheers

v Garvin

What's 5m/sec between friends? :-P

I'll try that line with my Course WO on the next PO check. ;)

Considering I lost a half mark for answering "main gun battle aiming crosshairs" instead of "main gun battle aiming mark", I don't think I'll get very far though.

Wonderbread said:
I'll try that line with my Course WO on the next PO check. ;)
Unless you're friends with your Course WO, don't :D
Wonderbread said:
Considering I lost a half mark for answering "main gun battle aiming crosshairs" instead of "main gun battle aiming mark", I don't think I'll get very far though.
ROFLMAO! :rofl:  Probably not!

"Considering I lost a half mark for answering "main gun battle aiming crosshairs" instead of "main gun battle aiming mark", I don't think I'll get very far though."

;D

- Gotta love all Gunnery courses.  " Screw retaining, intermediate firing needle withdrawl lever."  WHAT?

- Take all of your deviant personalities and make them Gunnery Instructors, that way you can hate them for a socially acceptable reason!

Tom

Australian army 12.7's (.50's) are still going strong! We've just got some new ones and they hum! Its a thing of beauty hearing one hammer and putting rounds down range, especially on the ground mount. Come down here and we'll put you on the course! Its definately worth it!

Can anyone tell me if they are still using Gun oil (not CLP) and if so what the NSN or proper name of the Oil is.  Thanks.

When firing?
Definitively not CLP

Hmmmm...... general purpose oil from ESSO?

You and I both know that but those in charge of POL are having a hard time finding it.

The American "Cherry Juice": Lube Oil, Automatic Weapons (LAW) oil - not LSA.

Can we still get it?

MIL-L-14107 Lubricating Oil, Weapons [LAW]

9150-00-292-9689                        1 qt can

9150-00-292-9687                        5 gal can

TCBF said:
The American "Cherry Juice": Lube Oil, Automatic Weapons (LAW) oil - not LSA.

Can we still get it?

Tom,

We used to stand over the gun and pour that stuff on the thing, by the quart, while it was firing. If it caught fire, you beat it out with a rag!! ;D Failing that, good old 10W30 sufficed. They ran all day like that, and the next, and the one after that, if you were smart enough not to take them apart ;)

The simple maxim being: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ::)

The .50 is definitely coming back - I just finished the HMG course.

Doing the AA shoot had to be the most fun I've had shooting in awhile, once we got the stoppages sorted out.

I learned the .50 in a full up machine gun course, and it was indeed the best piece of kit I ever had the pleasure of firing (tripod and AA mount). What always stunned me was the GPMG C-5 (Browning M1919) was such a POS even though you could see the close mechanical relationship when they were stripped and laid out. Various instructors blamed it on mechanical wear (headspacing and timing was quite tricky) or the alterations made to convert the weapon to fire 7.62 X 51 NATO. Lucky for all of us the C-6 finally came into service.

WRT augments about ,50 vs AGL (or whatever acronym of the day we are using), shake your heads. Each weapon has a role and one compliments the other. USMC LVTP 7 "Amtracks" have turrets mounting one of each weapon, with the .50 to chew on point and hard targets and the AGL to suppress or destroy area targets. Common sense would dictate a fire support platoon or company in the light battalion should have a mixture of each, we can always eat the cost somewhere else (Base landscaping and computer replacement come to mind).

a_majoor said:
WRT augments about ,50 vs AGL (or whatever acronym of the day we are using), shake your heads. Each weapon has a role and one compliments the other.
precisely! Unless we're going to design a system to deliver the same basic round more efficiently, Mr. Browning's big toy is still an amazing piece of kit.

The.50 has a talent for getting everyone's attention, at any time.
The 20mm is a bigger gun with a higher rate of fire. Some of the doctrine boys would say that it shoud have replaced the .50 BUT, in the end, the reliability and flexibility of the .50 justifies keeping it around.

Back