• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Yeah the .50 is coming back

So the drills havent changed? I have a copy of the older pam

PhilB said:
So the drills havent changed? I have a copy of the older pam
the drills HAVE changed, but nobody has bothered to put the new drills down anywhere yet.  ::)

paracowboy said:
the drills HAVE changed, but nobody has bothered to put the new drills down anywhere yet.  ::)

Took my course in 94, I was informed that the IA has changed, no more "1,2,3,4,5" on the feed tray cover, this true? I have to get onto that gun again.

From the Centre of Excellence:
Pen has been put to paper regarding the .50.  Although the Armd School is (as I type this) the C of E for the .50, it is reverting back to its home at the other end of the hall.  As I am not at work on a daily basis right now (home on DL), I don't have visibility on when it will be released/approved.
Having said all that, I also don't have visibility on any amendments/changes to drills.

Hmmm.... given mods to the weapon like the quick change barrel, the drills must have changed.  Headspacing isn`t an issue anymore.....

Lemmie check with R22R school as to what is currently used - worse case scenario, might consult the US manuals.

I can't see the Drills changing to any great degree.  What definitely has changed are the "7 Point Checks" and other maint checks/proceedures.  Gone are the checks and IA's for Headspacing and Timing.

geo said:
Hmmm.... given mods to the weapon like the quick change barrel, the drills must have changed.   Headspacing isn`t an issue anymore.....

Lemmie check with R22R school as to what is currently used - worse case scenario, might consult the US manuals.
On my basic MG course in 1989 we had the quick change barrels, so, any changes were done around that time (they were just coming in at that time: we still had to learn "headspace" and "timing".)

Man, you guys are killing me this morning. I am sorry I asked the question. Thanks for the pm's.

I imagine John Moses Browning is rolling in his grave screaming "What have all these idiots done to  my Machine Gun?"

"CAMT 7-30, Battalion and Company Machine Guns" is a good read.

;D

Tom

There is the small arms SME at gagetown (A british guy) who has help developed the new drills for the .50

Question for you guys, what model of QCB do we use in the CF?  Is it the same as the one the Brits have adopted and do we have the soft mount for it?

D

paracowboy said:

Not true Dude.  The package is complete and was approved by DAT this summer and is somewhere in the publication process.

For you old dogs, the drills have been simplified to be similar to what soldiers have seen with other MG's  Gone is hot barrel unload and some further action drills.  Really, it is not all that mind blowing but you can throw out your old 50 pams.

Para, I will hand deliver you a copy on or around the 14th when I return.  It'll give you some light reading for leave since I know you have no life :)

c4th said:
Para, I will hand deliver you a copy on or around the 14th when I return.  It'll give you some light reading for leave since I know you have no life
delivering pams and pubs to my bear-like den is turning into a hobby for you, lately. By the way, how are they treating my guns down there?

Luckily we have better ammo than the Brits... or they have stronger right arms

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/11/23/nammo23.xml

.... Ah - to all those nay sayers who always kept on harping that our DND was always buying things that were Crap...

There is proof that well.... others have it even worse than us :( :) ???

geo said:
.... Ah - to all those nay sayers who always kept on harping that our DND was always buying things that were Crap...

There is proof that well.... others have it even worse than us :( :) ???

Well, they've definitely got a leg up on us in the wet weather/boots/LB equipment department - but right now those guys are driving around in unarmored land rovers with SA - 80s. So if you survive the ambush - your crappy rifle will jam!

On the other hand, we have the TV and the prospector boots, so I guess every military has it's strengths and weaknesses.

Nothing wrong with Land Rovers, Aussie blokes who just got decorated for helping out the Canadians in A-Stan were in Landies and they didnt do to bad, granted they were SF land Rovers. And yeah, all militaries have pro's and con's.

Hale said:
Nothing wrong with Land Rovers, Aussie blokes who just got decorated for helping out the Canadians in A-Stan were in Landies and they didnt do to bad, granted they were SF land Rovers. And yeah, all militaries have pro's and con's.

Nothing wrong with Rovers at all - I'd just want one that was armoured.

Back