• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

You Want To Be A Pilot : 2018 - present

Pay: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/benefits-military/pay-pension-benefits/pay/officers.html

Aircrew Allowance: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/corporate/policies-standards/compensation-benefits-instructions/chapter-205-allowances-for-officers-and-non-commissioned-members.html#sec-32

I talked to a recruiter today and it should be about 20 DEO spots for PLT 2021-2022. There is a major backlog in BMQ and officer training that slow the process. They told me to contact them again in april. Been 3 years now that i'm in the process. Super bad timing i guess.

There's a major backlog in every training process in the CAF, it's not unique to Pilot although backlogs in flight training are now compounded with the COVID backlogs.

If there are 20 DEO spots for FY 21-22, anyone knows for the other programs, specifically the in-svc ones?

In Service Selection numbers are available on the DWAN on the DPGR intranet site. They cannot be shared here.

I don't think the numbers on the DPGR site are up to date. The latest date I see is July 2019.

The pandemic got in the way. At any rate, do those numbers actually matter? If there's no context to them (how many people applied, how many people made it to the board), then it really doesn't matter if there's 5 spots or 50 spots for ISS. A more important number would be the OUTCAP of the trade you're leaving and it's general trend of PML health as to whether that OUTCAP will go up or down year to year.

Just to add, those OT OUTCAP numbers don't apply to NCM trades/pers that are applying for Commissioning thru UTPNCM, as an example.

For anyone who is ISS and wants to read the info, do a search for and go to the DPGR site (Director Personnel Generation Requirements) IntraNet/DWAN site. Once you're there, go to Production Reports, and read the Basic Production Documents (BPD) section.

You might search on this forum and see references to "trade health" and people talking about Green/Yellow(Amber)/Red trades. That is the old version of "Critical/Caution/OK" status when talking about TES to PML ration...which has a direct bearing on OUTCAP numbers. You'll notice the OUTCAP is still using...green...yellow..and red in the Forecast column. :giggle:

The pandemic got in the way. At any rate, do those numbers actually matter? If there's no context to them (how many people applied, how many people made it to the board), then it really doesn't matter if there's 5 spots or 50 spots for ISS. A more important number would be the OUTCAP of the trade you're leaving and it's general trend of PML health as to whether that OUTCAP will go up or down year to year.

I was telling another member this on the forum that knowing the numbers takes away some stress. Of course, none of it actually makes a difference in the grand scheme of things. There's a number to be selected, you either get selected or you don't. I wonder why there can't be some more transparency with such a big career transition program.

"Quebec applicants for aircrew jobs cant go do their ACS because of the interprovincial travel restrictions."

Thats what my ccm told me today. Only one person from Quebec got the chance to go to Trenton for an Aircrew Selection Test since septembre. Do someone know when this restriction will be removed or when more Quebec applicants will have the opportunity to do the CFAST.

Thanks to all.

"Quebec applicants for aircrew jobs cant go do their ACS because of the interprovincial travel restrictions."

Thats what my ccm told me today. Only one person from Quebec got the chance to go to Trenton for an Aircrew Selection Test since septembre. Do someone know when this restriction will be removed or when more Quebec applicants will have the opportunity to do the CFAST.

Thanks to all.

I wouldnt worry too much about that for now until the recruitement is back to somewhat normal since your ACS is only valid for 3 or 5 years (cant remember). I've been in the process for 3 years now even tho i was told my file score was above the last person to receive an offer after completing my ACS for PLT in 2018. The backlogg in training was high and caused DEO intakes to drop to 10-15 (down from like 50ish in 2016 i think).
Like my recruiter said, its really up and down for PLT; some years they dont have enough candidates and for now they have too many.

My ACS might expire depending on the COVID aftermath. Of course if you have sky-high scores on your file and you are within the top 10 applicants accross Canada; you will be prioritized anyway. Just use the time to practice your maths and play on apps like luminosity ;)

I wouldnt worry too much about that for now until the recruitement is back to somewhat normal since your ACS is only valid for 3 or 5 years (cant remember). I've been in the process for 3 years now even tho i was told my file score was above the last person to receive an offer after completing my ACS for PLT in 2018. The backlogg in training was high and caused DEO intakes to drop to 10-15 (down from like 50ish in 2016 i think).
Like my recruiter said, its really up and down for PLT; some years they dont have enough candidates and for now they have too many.

My ACS might expire depending on the COVID aftermath. Of course if you have sky-high scores on your file and you are within the top 10 applicants accross Canada; you will be prioritized anyway. Just use the time to practice your maths and play on apps like luminosity ;)
Will do! Thank you very much for your answer it very appreciated!

I came back from Aircrew Selections for Pilot on Feb 2, thankfully passed this time after failing my first attempt in Jan 2019! I'm done the medical/interview, all I have left is the CFEME medical done in Toronto. Any Pilot applicants here done that recently? I'm in Ontario only a 30 minute drive from DRDC Toronto. ROTP RMC applicant.

Just to get general opinions. I just learned that my file score doesnt make the cutoff for this year again for PLT DEO. I completed the ACS 2 years ago and passed for pilot. My CFAT score was considered good and at the time my recruiter told me my file was above the last person to receive an offer as PLT but now they really raised the requirements and i'm no longer admissible. I really dont want to retake the ACS at Trenton even if i really enjoyed the experience so my question is this: should i just try and rewrite the CFAT or hang on for another year and risk having my ACS expired?? What do you guys think?

Just to get general opinions. I just learned that my file score doesnt make the cutoff for this year again for PLT DEO. I completed the ACS 2 years ago and passed for pilot. My CFAT score was considered good and at the time my recruiter told me my file was above the last person to receive an offer as PLT but now they really raised the requirements and i'm no longer admissible. I really dont want to retake the ACS at Trenton even if i really enjoyed the experience so my question is this: should i just try and rewrite the CFAT or hang on for another year and risk having my ACS expired?? What do you guys think?
Same boat as you. My file was very competitive and scored highly at ACS but no longer meet the new standard. I was told my CFAT score was very high and getting perfect wouldn't be enough to hit the PCL as I can't improve my personality score and those are the only two things that really make up the score.

ACS is however valid for 5 years so we both have a few more to go before that expires.

getting perfect wouldn't be enough to hit the PCL
Damn that must be frustrating. Especially since you were probably close to make the competition list after ACS... We're really unlucky in our timing with the training backlogs and covid. Patience will pay-off i guess; keep it up.

Damn that must be frustrating. Especially since you were probably close to make the competition list after ACS... We're really unlucky in our timing with the training backlogs and covid. Patience will pay-off i guess; keep it up.
Same boat as you. My file was very competitive and scored highly at ACS but no longer meet the new standard. I was told my CFAT score was very high and getting perfect wouldn't be enough to hit the PCL as I can't improve my personality score and those are the only two things that really make up the score.

ACS is however valid for 5 years so we both have a few more to go before that expires.
If I'd be you too, I'd definitely try to get my licence privately and start working through the industry as hopefully it will start ramping up. Just waiting after the military is really a bad idea. Have it in the back pocket, and do what you need to do like you wouldn't have had an application in. I think this is the best advice I can give.

If I'd be you too, I'd definitely try to get my licence privately and start working through the industry as hopefully it will start ramping up. Just waiting after the military is really a bad idea. Have it in the back pocket, and do what you need to do like you wouldn't have had an application in. I think this is the best advice I can give.
Couldn't agree more! Got my PPL last year because I didn't want to put all my eggs in one basket. I'm currently pursuing my CPL, albeit slowly. I would much rather fly for the forces but seeing how the odds are against us getting in, need to have back-ups.

Back