• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Your Beer Brand of Choice

• Thread starter Thread starter Danny
  • Start date Start date
Or if we could just get a truck and start selling it ourselves. I am sure we could make money, there are alot of thirsty Maritimers up here in the Land of the Frozen Chosen.

Well, with gas prices they way they are these days, I don't know if it would be worth it!!

Congrats on your 1000 post!!

scott1nsh said:
There are three private liquor stores in town here and the Gov't establishment.

Every once in a while I'm still amazed at how many places you can buy beer here in the US. Gas stations, grocery stores, 7-11, corner stores, everywhere!!

Of course that high end Michelob christmas pack I like is expensive. I think it was about $18 for 12 bottles at Sam's Club. Oh the horror!!. Now, I'll quietly slink away before someone paying those awful prices up there tries to kill me....

I loved Newfoundland. While I was a student there a 90 second walk got me a case of beer, some munchies, lotto tickets, Maxim, newspapers, etc. All under one roof.

Navalsnpr said:
Congrats on your 1000 post!!

Thanks.

Navalsnpr said:
I would imagine that there are many people in BC doing the Home Brew kits to save a bit of money.

Might be an idea.... now if only we could convince Oland Breweries to come out with a "Keiths Home Brew Kit" we would be laughing!!

Why buy expensive East Coast beer when there is West Coast beer that's better and way cheaper? Kinda like buying French wine in Italy, Belgian beer in Germany, or coke anywhere in Europe.....

For you eastern transplants stuck on Keith's (a fine brew, I agree), try any Granville Island brew (the Lager and Pale Ale are really good), any Big Rock, or Okanagan Spring (the Pale Ale, Lager, and 1516 Bavarian are superb) and you'll no longer miss Alex Keith's. Keith's just isn't good value out here - for the price you can almost buy Stella, a far superior beer to Keith's or almost any other beer.

I lived in St.John's from the time I was born until I joined the Navy back in '92.....Still wish the Navy would move their East Coast Establishment there.... That will never happen though!!

I definitely miss "Da Rock"

I spent some time out in Esquimalt, not much, but I had a chance to sample some of the local ales. I found that they tasted watered down compared to the beers out here....

Might be that my taste buds are trained on liking only East Coast beverages... I dunno!!

The only beer I have found that rivals Keith's (And it's a very close rival) is Northern Light by Quida Vida (sp?) (Pronounced Kiddy Viddy) Breweries in St John's I had to find a Keith's alternative because it wasn't sold there in 99/00. I drank so much Northern Light while in school that my girlfriend at the time, a local, arranged me a private tour of the brewery. One rule there, your glass is never empty!

I drink Canadian, in fact I drink damn near anything, but when I get home at night I want an ice cold Alexanders, nuff said.

Brewery tours are great. I did the Oland's tour back in the mid-90's and for 4 hours all we did was drink.

Come to think of it, I don't even think we made it into the main part of the Brewery at all!!

When in doubt, any beer that is "Cold" is my favorite beer!!

Caesar said:
Why buy expensive East Coast beer when there is West Coast beer that's better and way cheaper? Kinda like buying French wine in Italy, Belgian beer in Germany, or coke anywhere in Europe.....

For you eastern transplants stuck on Keith's (a fine brew, I agree), try any Granville Island brew (the Lager and Pale Ale are really good), any Big Rock, or Okanagan Spring (the Pale Ale, Lager, and 1516 Bavarian are superb) and you'll no longer miss Alex Keith's. Keith's just isn't good value out here - for the price you can almost buy Stella, a far superior beer to Keith's or almost any other beer.

Yeah, I mentioned that earlier, I'm a HUGE fan of Granville Island brew, their Pale Ale tastes so good, and is far smoother than Keith's IMO.  Although they have had some flops in the past.  I remember getting my dad a big bottle of this Christmas brew they made....so horrible!  It was some sort of cranberry beer concoction, that tasted like a bottle of rotten peaches! BLECH!

Granville Island Brewery also have those convenient 'sampler' packs: 12 bottles of beer of various types:
2: Island Lager (better than most, not as good as Ok Spring 1516)
2: English Bay Pale Ale. (better than Keith's)
2:Kitsilano Maple Cream Ale (WAY better than that Shi-ite from Ontario - Sleeman's)
2: Gastown Amber Ale. (very tasty)
2:Cypress Honey Ale (ok - too sweet for me)
2:Robson Street Hefeweizen (Wheat Beer, really nice on a hot summer day with a slice of lemon).

All for the price of a regular case!

Hmmm, I'll have to pick up one of those 'sampler' packs sometime soon.

Gilligan said:
  Yeah, I mentioned that earlier, I'm a HUGE fan of Granville Island brew, their Pale Ale tastes so good, and is far smoother than Keith's 

Thats why I like Keiths, solely because its a little sharper than the others...

I would just like to say, I hate Bacardi.

Sh0rtbUs said:
I would just like to say, I hate Bacardi.

Oh, I disagree....although I could do without 151 *blech*  But I'm a big fan of the Bacardi Triple Black (yes, it's a girly drink, but I'm a girl so it's okay). 

Don't get me wrong, I love Keith's, but if I had a choice between Graville Island's Pale Ale, and Keith's, I'd 9 times out of 10 pick G.I. Pale Ale.

I think East coast beer is the best. Keith's, Alpine, whatever, cause in the maritimes we do two things really well, drinkin and scronking. hahahha. YAY FOR THE EAST, I miss my home.

Back