• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

My Pl 2IC did something like that to me once as a wind up, at our Recruit Depot.

I just stood to the side at the salute while they all marched by me in a sort of ragged assed march past and, when they'd all gone, gave the Sgt (last in the order of march) a wink and carried on to the mess ;)
Challenge accepted!

I'm sure whatever they come up with will be terrible if they do drop Heart of Oak.
The frightening thing isn't so much dropping Heart of Oak, but how the replacement will likely sound. I've heard enough in-house aural confections from Naden and Stad bands to distrust their style. Expect something light and tailored to small bands, unless there's an Alford hiding out somewhere. Wouldn't be surprised at a pastiche, a la the QUADRA march (34:00 if the link doesn't work).

The frightening thing isn't so much dropping Heart of Oak, but how the replacement will likely sound. I've heard enough in-house aural confections from Naden and Stad bands to distrust their style. Expect something light and tailored to small bands, unless there's an Alford hiding out somewhere. Wouldn't be surprised at a pastiche, a la the QUADRA march (34:00 if the link doesn't work).
That was kind of what I was getting at, the Quadra March isn't terrible but it's about as bland and boring as anything I'd expect from Canada.

Realistically, there are a few iconic marches, and a load of dull, samey ones. The likelihood that the CAF/GoC/RCN would choose something good, rather than safe, dull and forgettable is extremely low.

Last edited:
I hope we don’t go down the same road as Australia for a naval march. Theirs is very lacklustre.

In which case the march may result in some serious stumbling. Mind you, that’s okay as our fearless leaders have themselves been stumbling along for years now.

Oh we will. You can bet your life on it.

There's one particular piece of nautical music that would resonate very well with our civilian population, and the RCN would go a long way to closing the gap in understanding should they adopt it as their march.

Conveniently, I think it's even already paced at about 120 ppm ;)

Damn, that's such a good idea that I might even send this suggestion directly to the CDS ;)

What’s the RAN March?
The Royal Australian Navy (Quick March). It has a beat but very forgettable and unoriginal. It wouldn’t surprise me if the politicos here end up having the RCN march to a Quick Rap rather than a Quick March in keeping with The Times and to promote greater diversity.

The Royal Australian Navy (Quick March). It has a beat but very forgettable and unoriginal. It wouldn’t surprise me if the politicos here end up having the RCN march to a Quick Rap rather than a Quick March in keeping with The Times and to promote greater diversity.
  1. Military bands have played pop music, even rap music, before. This isn’t new.
  2. Ever heard a solid US College marching band do a rendition of a rap song? I have and it’s amazing.
  3. Heart of Oak (the song) was composed for a play. At the time, it was the “quick rap”.

And it’s Canadian!
Ok, then, how about North Atlantic Squadron? But then again, maybe not…unless there are some clean lyrics for it. Quite a few versions out there courtesy of the WW2 boys. All I remember is hearing something along the lines of “four and twenty miles at sea the captain took to buggery”. That would be too insulting to someone who is not heterosexual. Or “In days of old when men were bold and women weren’t too particular, they’d put ‘em up against a wall and screw ‘em perpindicular”? Better still why not keep Heart of Oak but perhaps Canadianize the lyrics to some extent.

I must admit to not being a fan of most college marching bands and the kind of music they play nowadays . Mind you, I was in a marching band (drum section) many many moons ago and am probably stuck in a certain moment in time.

Edit: The Avr getting jacked up at at sunrise because they couldn't see the half hidden subdued bars on a Capt.'s flight suit slip-ons isn't thinking about the traditional link back to the days of buying commissions from the crown.

Not to worry; flying clothing will soon be using RCAF DEU slip-ons (SAR Techs have been doing this for a while…). The CADPAT ranks for RCAF are also moving to a form of hi-vis as well. 🙂

Back