• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Constraining Canadian Federal Budget during Post COVID Downturn

Not really. The two year program is an incredible hands on diploma

And I'm sure no offense meant, but you should spent a couple of hours listening to farm radio show to appreciate the complexity of the career and life. Farm kids hitting Ridgetown is in no way credential driven.
A friend of mine from high school that was a farm kid did it, and said he learned a lot about the 'why' behind what they were doing, so that let him do thing differently that improved production, as well as improve on some of the logistics/business side of things so he saved money there. And some thing that they had always done he stopped doing, and did it a different way, so a lot of benefits.

Lot to be said for generational learning but not wrong either with pooling that and adding some science/business in a school setting. It's a lot easier to learn about contracting and accounting in a class then on a spreadsheet.

There is also a lot of improvements and new techniques and innovations; saw something where there is an industrial sized roomba thing in a dairy barn going around constantly cleaning up, and they'd also automated the logging of the different cows milk production and some other things to make life easier.

Having said all that, when the farmers are barely scraping by or losing money, and can turn around and sell their land for a mint no real wonder that a lot of people are doing something different.

In that vein, wish we still had things like the super stoker program; the setup at Munn was amazing, and that way they were bringing in a lot of things from the marine world for best practices and new tech for awareness.

It's not that post-secondary education is useless; it's just that some of the programs people want to take are not very useful.

My peers who did humanities are mostly as successful (prosperous, accomplished) as the ones who did sciences, engineering, business, law, medicine, etc. The "easy" programs in that era were Education and Phys Ed. None of the teachers are suffering.

Since then, the demand for "fluff" programs has increased, and institutions have supplied the demand. Don't blame that on Boomers; as I wrote, I'm tail-end and pretty well all degrees were still meaningful and a useful path to prosperity when I finished. It's highly improbable that me and the people I knew are all just outliers. "X Studies" programs that lead to employment behind a coffee shop counter are an innovation of more recent generations. People can't avoid hard academic paths and then bitch and complain that the people before them somehow loused things up.

A lot of degrees are just money making schemes for those institutions of higher learning.

Maybe so. But, some professions require a two-year Diploma to apply.

So yes, kids go to Uni and get useless degrees instead of the trades. The blame is not with Little Johnny or Little Suzie who aren't looking 20 years down the road; it's with Mom, Dad, Teacher, Principal that told them "Go get and education or you're going to be cleaning toilets for the rest of your days..."
Nothing wrong with cleaning toilets. My mother did it for years with the provincial government and was fine with all her kids following in her trade. One sister took it to the next step, became a custodian and snagged a job with the school board. I got tired of the cleaning industry, joined the military and um, cleaned toilets ... sigh.

Nothing wrong with cleaning toilets. My mother did it for years with the provincial government and was fine with all her kids following in her trade. One sister took it to the next step, became a custodian and snagged a job with the school board. I got tired of the cleaning industry, joined the military and um, cleaned toilets ... sigh.
#PeakRCN

Oh believe me I have a large percentage of my older family who worked everything from custodial, to landscaping, to bricklaying, to barbering; my grandparents and their siblings didn't make it past elementary school in the Old Country and made a decent living in Blue Collar work.

How was that repayed? Their kids (Boomers) went to University cheap, made money, crippled the unions that supported their parents, and came to look their nose down at anyone working outside a White Collar setting.

My point was mainly that the idea that trades are not only an option, but a very lucrative one, is endemic within that populace. It's why we see academia and politicians who don't understand that we all can't ride the subway to our offices....

When I stated my plan was to join the CAF in my final year of High-school, my guidance counselor was gobsmacked and asked "why are you settling for that?"

17 years later, I'm well ahead of where I thought I would be for 35 and I actually laugh when I believe doing something outside Post-secondary is "settling"

The Trade Unions, like the CAF, need to kick the School Boards in the junk and tell the kids that there is more to life than a useless Arts Degree (One that I have). Trade work is rewarding and profitable.
My oldest and spouse are both high school teachers. They make good money now, but neither are full time yet (that's a whole other scam of it's own), and are always living paycheque to paycheque due to their education debt load. They both come home stressed every night.

My middle kid is a 310T mechanic with a major fleet carrier and holds a dozen welding tickets from his previous job. He is pretty much debt free and his employer treats him and his co workers very, very well.

There was also a large shortage of any Vet in most of the prairies with U of S not able to generate enough grads....it was/is an excellent program and still remains a leader in the profession. But if you couldn't get into the U of S program most folks I met ended up going to the USA for schooling and then maybe returning to Canada to practice.

Still a large number coming out of U of S but the newer facility at U of Calgary has really helped fill the void...half the vets I saw this year were U of C grads. And at least U of C also has the medical programs at the same site (unlike some of the Agriculture schools in Alberta) which melds well with diagnostic side of things.
There's a shortage all over Canada. There's only a handful of vet colleges (UPEI, UdeMont, UGeulph, USask and now UCalgary. A big part of the problem is work-life balance. Many of the younger vets don't want to work in large animal clinics, schlepping all over and working longer hours during calving/lambing/ etc. season. Many opt for small animal where the patient comes to you during hours that they set. Even those were hit with the 'Covid pet' rush.

Maybe so. But, some professions require a two-year Diploma to apply.
That's because a lot of fields were quite happy to not have to worry about actually training new employees. Fire services have incredibly low attrition and turnover, yet college 'fire technology' course turn out way more grads than the industry could ever hope to absorb, even considering some might go to the private sector.

In a similar vein, I know the OPP is moving away from the previous tacit requirement for a college police foundations, etc. diploma as they are not producing the type of applicants they are looking (and no, I don't know how to further define that).

My oldest and spouse are both high school teachers. They make good money now, but neither are full time yet (that's a whole other scam of it's own), and are always living paycheque to paycheque due to their education debt load. They both come home stressed every night.

My middle kid is a 310T mechanic with a major fleet carrier and holds a dozen welding tickets from his previous job. He is pretty much debt free and his employer treats him and his co workers very, very well.
The high school I went to back when the earth was still cooling had a massive shop wing; wood, metal, electrical/electronics, drafting, HVAC, plumbing. auto. All repurposed now.

The first two 'rich' people I knew growing up were both electricians.

That's because a lot of fields were quite happy to not have to worry about actually training new employees.

Metro used to hire off the street. They paid and trained us on City time before turning us lose on the citizens.

But, since 1975, its a whole new ballgame.

The two-year Diploma is - mandatory - to apply.

Metro used to hire off the street. They paid and trained us on City time before turning us lose on the citizens.

But, since 1975, its a whole new ballgame.

The two-year Diploma is - mandatory - to apply.
That made sense when there were more people than jobs.... now we have more jobs than people. The CAF has the same problem, our recruiting is set-up to turn people away, rather than attract new people.

That made sense when there were more people than jobs.... now we have more jobs than people. The CAF has the same problem, our recruiting is set-up to turn people away, rather than attract new people.

To be fair, in the case of his post he’s talking specifically about paramedics. I’m good with the Primary Care Paramedic two year college program being a mandatory for them. That doesn’t means two year college diploma should be a requisite for CAF generally, or other jobs that don’t require specific training of that length.

To be fair, in the case of his post he’s talking specifically about paramedics. I’m good with the Primary Care Paramedic two year college program being a mandatory for them. That doesn’t means two year college diploma should be a requisite for CAF generally, or other jobs that don’t require specific training of that length.

NS is toying with the idea of having an ambulance driver and paramedic. The idea would be 1 of each ber truck.

This would allow us to put more Ambs on the road. Which is a big deal right now as it's common to have no Amb coverage in whole counties and regions of the province.

NS is toying with the idea of having an ambulance driver and paramedic. The idea would be 1 of each ber truck.

This would allow us to put more Ambs on the road. Which is a big deal right now as it's common to have no Amb coverage in whole counties and regions of the province.
Some places in Ontario are proposing using taxis…

If you had actually read the article, the goal is to actually redirect them away from the ERs if at all possible. Taxis would send them to alternate health facilities and clinics. Frees up the paramedics and frees up the ER.
Having alternative options available to the crew is key to relieving both ambulance crews and EDs. Alternative facilities or greater treat-and-clear options.

I'm not sure about the 'ambulance driver' approach but would have to see the job specs. Done wrong it could be limiting and put a lot of pressure on the lone paramedic ('I'm a driver and not touching that').

I’m good with the Primary Care Paramedic two year college program being a mandatory for them.

NS is toying with the idea of having an ambulance driver and paramedic.

I'm not sure about the 'ambulance driver' approach but would have to see the job specs. Done wrong it could be limiting and put a lot of pressure on the lone paramedic ('I'm a driver and not touching that').

Don't know how it works elsewhere.

In Toronto,

Scope of Practice:

Back