Author Topic: Operation LENTUS – Domestic Operations 2018 - current [Merged]  (Read 11006 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
Re: Operation LENTUS – Domestic Operations 2018 - current [Merged]
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2020, 09:58:32 »
I think I'm inclined to agree with you.

It somewhat reminds me about a debate about using rear party soldiers. A mostly deployed unit gets a call that WO or Capt so and so's wife needs someone to go shovel their drive way so send a bunch of privates from the rear party to go and shovel.

She probably has 500 friends on her Facebook friends list why can't she ask one of them? Or pay a company to do it.

No doubt there's people suffering there. I've also seen a lot of pictures of people out having fun. Maybe dig your neighbour out before you go snowboarding behind a skidoo.

You mean... just like the snowstorm of '96 that buried Victoria, and all the Regular Force sailors who watched - nice and warm -  from their accommodation while the Reservists shoveled out their Canex so they could go get more smokes?  ;)

As I recall from that snow-pocalypse, the major issue was trying to keep the hospitals running. For a couple of days, our 6 wheeled drives vehicles were the only ones that could get through the snow to deliver dialysis patients, do hospital staff changeovers, and get the ambulances through etc.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 10:02:46 by daftandbarmy »
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
Re: Operation LENTUS – Domestic Operations 2018 - current [Merged]
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2020, 12:25:55 »
It is a very good dumping of snow.  Apologies for being a bit condescending earlier but I'm still not buying that the Military was needed this, at all.  I've  seen worse storms in the past 15-20 years out there.

My guess is if this had been Corner Brook vice St John's, no Military would have been called.  It's  all about that perception of doing something.

One positive is someone might get hitched  :rofl: if Twitter is anything to go by.

Over the last few decades “self reliance” has not been part of the narrative. The “go to” solution is to demand someone else take care of your issues.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".