Author Topic: Survival and Prepping  (Read 49659 times)

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Survival Living
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2018, 20:13:34 »
Maybe I should clarify, I in no way, shape or form advocate people staying in a building if ANY logical means of escape exist, period end of story. My realistic plan is to gtfo, not be some idiot staying trying to save his place.

As far as fires go and my extremely limited knowledge of wildfires, I understand that a lot of fires start due to ash falling or sage/grass etc burning catch the house on fire. So if you cut back the trees 50 ft or so and have an irrigation system that waters as per humidity? It would mitigate one factor and then set up simple sprinklers and leave it would help a lot. ICF is generally far more resistant due to being concrete then stick frame so realizing I could never pack all my heirlooms, pictures, sentimental things on short notice. This in my opinion gives me the best chance of keeping things money can't replace and if God forbid we somehow get cut off and isolated, the best chance of survival.

But this is simply one aspect lol im curious on thoughts is all
Abdullah

Fire is a part of the natural cycle of forests and grasslands. During the spring when the ground is still wet but the underbrush has more or less dried out is the time that the forest service should be doing prescribed burns to get rid of the trash. The massive wildfires of late are a result of decades of a too successful program fighting forest fires.

Offline AbdullahD

update status.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2018, 21:21:49 »
@navy I have to admit you are far better planned out then I am, we have two grab boxes one of documents and one of camping gear/food.. from there it is a mess, most of my money is tied up in the electronic world which is a huge flaw. I want to get to a point where I have $1000 split between my wife and I in 20s in case of the electronic world not being accessible for gas food etc.

Also now working for the railway, I will not live close to the rail. I far prefer travelling by rail now, then by car, far safer in my opinion, far more efficient for transporting goods then transport. Heck even as a stock I hold a bunch of cn stock due to how attractive it is for my money.. but the fact is something *could* or *may* happen and if my house is to close.. goodbye. (If anyone wants my opinion on cnr as an investment let's do another thread, LONG term I'm going to be holding a big chunk)

@fsto preaching to the choir mate, I have the exact same view.

@Obgd aye mate when my number comes up and it is over for me, i will go and hopefully with a shred of dignity.  But until then I'll continue fighting as I can :)

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2018, 21:24:19 »
You're amplifying financial risk, though: anything happens to CNR and it's both your job and savings (including pensions, depending on their structure) at risk.

Talk to Nortel workers about how that can turn out...
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2018, 10:31:56 »
Thinking about reducing the risk in your area is good, for you fire, for me it was flooding. Once that is done as much as you can, look at water sources, collect rainwater for mundane tasks and know where there are water sources nearby, have a way to clean it. Cooking, an outdoor barbecue is a good idea with 2x20lb tanks. I keep my pantry full and stock of food and water in the garage. I cycle that stock and try to buy stuff that I will use regularly. Ration packs are expensive and don't last long, but are good for the first 24hrs while your trying to get your crap together. 

Online Larry Strong

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • 546 days from 0 to being King of the Castle
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2018, 19:09:03 »
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 19:11:37 by Larry Strong »
Proud sponsor of the Maple Leaf Legacy Project. http://www.mapleleaflegacy.ca

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Survival and Prepping
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2018, 21:51:33 »
Costco sells an 'End of the world' food kit for $6,000 USD which can sustain 4 people for a year.

Best line: 'Packaged discreetly for privacy in shipping.'
https://www.costco.com/Nutristore-1-YEAR-Premium-Food-Kit-36%2c000-Servings.product.100302316.html

Offline AbdullahD

update status.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2018, 17:04:41 »
Costco sells an 'End of the world' food kit for $6,000 USD which can sustain 4 people for a year.

Best line: 'Packaged discreetly for privacy in shipping.'
https://www.costco.com/Nutristore-1-YEAR-Premium-Food-Kit-36%2c000-Servings.product.100302316.html

Was looking around for something like this but Vegetarian (or halal), but cant seem to find any.. do you chaps know of anything? (My worst case alternative is buying a kit that has some meats to it.. but let any non-Muslim who is with us get that instead.)

We just finalized our house purchase and will have more room for storing stuff, so looking into being better prepped.

Abdullah

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2018, 10:13:30 »
Better to stock up on stuff you will eat and be disciplined about rotating that stock. Plus what you need will change as your kids get older or your medical conditions change. My wife can't handle large does of salt for example.