Author Topic: "So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 2002 - 2018  (Read 799442 times)

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: "So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 2002 - 2018
« Reply #1325 on: January 21, 2016, 17:19:10 »
Out of Jet, Multi engine, and Helo, which has the best job in the criteria of job satisfaction, work hours, flying hours, and deployments?

To add to the opinions in this super-thread, you may also find these other discussions of interest,

Do you have a choice between fighter/helo/multi ??? 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=73253.0

Can you choose what kind of aircraft you'd like to be trained in/fly full time?
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=12744.990;wap2

Uncertain about going either multi or helo 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=69059.0

How is a Pilots aircraft chosen?
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=120167.0

New guy, introduction and a question or two. 
I read on here somewhere I think that most pilots recently have been biased towards helicopters/multi-engine, is this true?

Airframe selection after BFT 
Which airframes needs most pilots right now?

Which option do most ask for?

I am interested in Multi Engine.

Choices After BFT 
I understand that a pilot candidate after completion of BFT has the choice or is selected to one of three streams (RW, Multi, Fast Jet). 

more questions on how does it work 
I know it has been discussed on some boards here how new pilots get into one of the category - jets, multi or helicopters. 

Switching from FW to RW and vice-versa 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=120572.0
Is it easier to transfer from multi platform to helo platform vs vice versa? I would assume since the number of helos is double than that of multis that would be the case?

etc...

Edit to add

Out of Jet, Multi engine, and Helo, which has the best job in the criteria of job satisfaction, work hours, flying hours, and deployments?

From The "So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread,

helo multi or fighter

https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22The+%22So+You+Want+To+Be+A+Pilot%22+Merged+Thread%22+helo+multi&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=_5ahVpThFKmC8Qf28LyIDg&gws_rd=ssl

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 22:17:50 by mariomike »

Offline trampbike

• Rate Post
« Reply #1326 on: January 21, 2016, 21:40:08 »
Got a question about the 3 types of pilots.
To add to all the relevant replies you got: even if you think you know what you'll like, it's very possible you're completely off.

Throughout phase I and phase II, all I wanted was to fly TAC HEL. I put helos first on my list, and jets third. They sent me ph3 Harvard, which is the way towards jets. Even during and after completion of phase III, I was still asking to be sent on the helo course. They kept me in the jets stream. I started flying a jet, and I still hoped I'd be sent to helos at some point. As soon as I got into advanced formation and the first few "fights", I was completely hooked, and now I'm extremely glad some people with much more experience and judgement than me sent me jets and kept me there somewhat against my will!

A buddy of mine was dead set on jets thoughout ph1 and ph2. He was sent helos. Now he's very glad it turned out that way.

There aren't any truly bad flying jobs in the CF, only bad attitudes! With the right mindset, you'll very likely end up enjoying what you're doing, no matter what.

Cheers,
Oli

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #1327 on: January 22, 2016, 00:12:48 »
Tell me, what's the best kind of car to drive?

The one that is paid for and still on the road?    8)
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #1328 on: January 22, 2016, 00:19:58 »
EITS: 1) touché, but 2) you forgot "and has reasonable O&M costs..."

;)

Cheers
G2G

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #1329 on: January 22, 2016, 00:36:16 »
Maybe on purpose, as my wife questions that exact aspect of mine!  ;D
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline OConnor

• Rate Post
« Reply #1330 on: February 20, 2016, 00:14:05 »
Aircrew selection is done prior to joining, if you fail, your application for pilot doesn't continue (you can still continue the application for your other trade choices). You can attempt aircrew selection up to 3 times, and each must be at least 1 year apart.

Hey everyone, could someone please clarify something for me? I've been working on my prerequisites for the CEOTP program, (Grade 12 Advanced Functions, Calculus, Physics, etc.) and so far my marks are great. My only concern this entire time has been the Aircrew Selection process. I've had several talks with recruiting officers at the Hamilton Recruiting Centre. I intend to apply for Pilot. I have been under the impression that if I fail the Aircrew Selection for the Pilot position, then I'll have three more stabs at it, with a year separating each of them. However, this comment above has made me think twice. Am I misunderstanding something, or is it the case that if you fail Pilot once that you can only retry for other trades? I can't see myself doing anything else with my life besides flying for the CAF. Can someone please give me a solid answer to this?

Thanks in advance.
Quinn

Offline speargun

• Rate Post
« Reply #1331 on: February 21, 2016, 17:14:00 »
I am currently going through the application process for the ROTP and one of my trade choices is to be a Pilot.  From what I have researched and looked up, I will have to know how to describe what being a pilot entails, in my own words. On Forces.ca it gives you two small paragraphs on what being a pilot is about, but I don't know if there is more that should be elaborated in my interview, or if they just want basic point form facts for me to rhyme off to them.  I have searched through the forums and tried to find articles on what it is like being a pilot in the RCAF, but I have not done so very successfully so if there are any current or former pilots, or anyone who knows what I should say for this question, your help would be appreciated.  I also believe they are not looking for the typical 'romantic' answer to this question, "They fly planes at Mach speed and shoot missiles", but also what goes into planning a mission, their responsibilities on base, etc.  Thanks in advance for any help that is given. 

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #1332 on: February 21, 2016, 17:17:24 »
I have searched through the forums and tried to find articles on what it is like being a pilot in the RCAF, but I have not done so very successfully so if there are any current or former pilots, or anyone who knows what I should say for this question, your help would be appreciated.

See also,

A day in the life of... a pilot
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=97209.0
"I'm currently preparing for my interview on Monday, and was wondering if any pilot's or anybody else with current knowledge could describe a day in the life of a CF pilot. Besides flying what other duties are you responsible for on base?"

Life of a Pilot: The Off-Duty Aspects 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,108851.0.html

Least appealing aspects 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=111579.0
"I am looking at becoming a pilot and if anybody can help point out the least appealing aspects of being a pilot can you please tell me."
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 12:48:03 by mariomike »

Offline Quirky

• Rate Post
« Reply #1333 on: February 21, 2016, 18:44:37 »
They pretty much just come to work for a few hours, fly around for a bit and bring back the aircraft broken. After that they retire to the officers mess and play volleyball in the sand.

Offline Tgunn1109

• Rate Post
« Reply #1334 on: February 22, 2016, 17:09:03 »
Hi, I am going to Trenton in a few weeks and I found out, the aptitude test is really tough. For the fuel consumption and speed, distance, time test, are we going to be able to use a pen and paper or it's strictly mental calculation?

And is it better, to make sure they are all correct or go through a lot of them during the test so you can answer more questions get the easy ones?

Thank you for your time!

T

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1335 on: February 25, 2016, 13:27:20 »
Hi, I am going to Trenton in a few weeks and I found out, the aptitude test is really tough. For the fuel consumption and speed, distance, time test, are we going to be able to use a pen and paper or it's strictly mental calculation?

And is it better, to make sure they are all correct or go through a lot of them during the test so you can answer more questions get the easy ones?

There is a whole thread dedicated to ACS: http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,70257.0.html

Offline Justin Ko

• Rate Post
  • Wanting to be a Pilot!
« Reply #1336 on: March 24, 2016, 19:41:57 »
Hello.

I am wondering about being a pilot and want to ask these questions!
I want to become a fighter jet pilot so most of these following questions will be based around that.

1. Do you need any flying experience to become a fighter jet pilot?

2. To become a fighter jet pilot, do you need to be the best in your class (Or whatever the name is) and have the best scores in tests - CFAT, flying tests, etc.

3. Do all pilots need to be an officer; Do I need to take BMOQ, not BMQ??

4. What is the duration of specialized training for a fighter jet pilot?

5. Will it affect my option to become a fighter jet pilot if I have a University degree that has nothing to do with the occupation? i.e electrical engineer, chemical engineering, business, etc. And can they be from any Canadian civilian university or only RMC/any CAF recognized university?

6. I roamed through the internet and found that Seneca College in Toronto is offering a military flight program. I am wondering if that would be something to look at, or would I be better off just going to the flight school that goes on after you've been accepted to the CAF, or whatever program they have for pilots in RMC.

7. I'm still a bit fuzzy at the different ways to join; CEOTP, DEO, ROTP. I am wondering which classes are better (Or offer better things) than one another, and how they are different. I could probably look this up but I want to have a firm standing of what each do.

8. If all else fails and I don't become a fighter jet pilot, could I become a pilot in a different field such as a transport pilot, helicopter pilot, etc.?

9. This is a bit off topic, but once you are fully trained (or maybe even during training) could you bring a portable camera such as a Go-Pro and film inside of the cockpit and upload it to a site such as Youtube, or is that not allowed?

10. I have good vision, but when I close my left eye, its blurry to see some smaller stuff far away, but its not affected by near sight. When i open both of my eyes, I can see forever and ever. So I was wondering if my left eye wouldn't let me get passed the eye test. I was also wondering what's the recommended visual acuity and the minimum.

11. How many Canadian fighter jet pilots are there in the CAF currently?

Thanks if you answered all these questions in advance, I really appreciate it.
“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”
― Winston S. Churchill

Offline MasterInstructor

• Rate Post
« Reply #1337 on: March 24, 2016, 19:58:15 »
Before somebody responds and tells you to search, i will asnwer some of your questions...

1- Absolutely not
2- You need to best in certain skills, does not mean best in class.
3- yes, and yes
4- do not know
5- no, as long as the degree you have is accepted for pilot trade.
6-no... Stick with the military...
7- different entry options depends on your educational background... do you have a degree?
8- initially, you will become a pilot. then you will be selected for your stream after phase 2 of training... you do not get to choose... they choose you, you only give a preference.
9- it will depend on the mission and specific permission... no way to tell. i have seen videos that are created with permission for PA reasons.
10- you need un corrected 20/20 vision. you can get a simple eye exam to find out.
11- about 25% are fighter pilots... not sure of the number.

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1338 on: March 24, 2016, 20:02:05 »
9. This is a bit off topic, but once you are fully trained (or maybe even during training) could you bring a portable camera such as a Go-Pro and film inside of the cockpit and upload it to a site such as Youtube, or is that not allowed? 

Most of your questions have been answered but this one caught my eye:  why do you even think about this at this stage?!

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1339 on: March 24, 2016, 20:15:25 »
MasterInstructor,

The Seneca Program is part of CEOTP so it is military....

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1340 on: March 24, 2016, 20:44:03 »
Welcome to Army.ca, Justin Ko.

I take it that you did not read the stickied "READ FIRST" http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,115341.0.html post for this forum. Please do so now.

You have asked some valid questions, but they have all been answered elsewhere on this Site. Please read through older threads and try out the Search Function. I will merge this thread with one of those other threads later this evening.

The flying training programme is challenging and requires a lot of effort and work to pass it. You can begin that process by applying some effort on this Site. You will also likely find answers to other questions that have not even occurred to you yet.

Happy reading...

Offline Justin Ko

• Rate Post
  • Wanting to be a Pilot!
« Reply #1341 on: March 24, 2016, 20:47:49 »
Sorry about that, just wanted the easy way out. Thanks for the help.
“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”
― Winston S. Churchill

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1342 on: March 24, 2016, 21:56:54 »
The "easy way" leads to disappointment and failure.

What you seek is difficult and success is far from guaranteed, which makes those Wings so much more of a prize if you make it that far.

We will provide you with as much assistance and advice as we can, but also no more than you are willing to earn.

Offline Melbatoast

• Rate Post
« Reply #1343 on: March 24, 2016, 22:01:25 »
Before somebody responds and tells you to search, i will asnwer some of your questions...

1- Absolutely not
2- You need to best in certain skills, does not mean best in class.
3- yes, and yes
4- do not know
5- no, as long as the degree you have is accepted for pilot trade.
6-no... Stick with the military...
7- different entry options depends on your educational background... do you have a degree?
8- initially, you will become a pilot. then you will be selected for your stream after phase 2 of training... you do not get to choose... they choose you, you only give a preference.
9- it will depend on the mission and specific permission... no way to tell. i have seen videos that are created with permission for PA reasons.
10- you need un corrected 20/20 vision. you can get a simple eye exam to find out.
11- about 25% are fighter pilots... not sure of the number.

There is a lot wrong here.

Advanced flying experience (i.e. commercial or better) is of a lot of help, in fact. Otherwise less so. I had zero hours and did fine in Phase II though the learning curve was steeeeeeeeep.

Jet selection has a certain GPA cutoff requirement over the course of Phase II (mostly weighted toward flying, more heavily to flying tests). It has nothing to do with CFAT etc. You are selected for your stream during Phase II, typically after most of your course has finished 3 tests. Almost everyone gets their choice these days - after arriving in Moose Jaw and developing as an aviator over the run of the course, you get a realistic view of what you really want and choose accordingly. There's always someone who thinks they're god's gift to military aviation and aims for jets yet tanks every test and gets achieved standard in daily flying and is shocked not to get what they want, but they're rare.

Like Max said, Seneca is military. If you already have a degree there is no point in, and you may not be accepted for, the programme.

You DO NOT, again DO NOT need uncorrected 20/20 vision. This has been in effect for years, close to a decade now. You can be V2, laser corrected, or probably even both.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #1344 on: March 24, 2016, 22:17:12 »
A few discussions you may find of interest to get you started, ( in addition to these 50 pages. )

I want to become a fighter jet pilot so most of these following questions will be based around that.

So, you want to be a Fighter Pilot?
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=103289.0

So you wanna be a fighter pilot eh?
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=26054.0

Looking for an active TacHel or Fighter pilot 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=116410.0

Fighter pilot career path 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=105636.0

Questions regarding RMC - And the life of a Fighter Pilot.
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=104619.0

Aspiring Fighter Pilot's Bachelors Degree and Experience 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=106242.0

I have good vision, but when I close my left eye, its blurry to see some smaller stuff far away, but its not affected by near sight. When i open both of my eyes, I can see forever and ever. So I was wondering if my left eye wouldn't let me get passed the eye test. I was also wondering what's the recommended visual acuity and the minimum.

Vision Standards and Laser Eye Surgery for Pilots 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=12747.0
7 pages.

I'm still a bit fuzzy at the different ways to join; CEOTP, DEO, ROTP.

I roamed through the internet and found that Seneca College in Toronto is offering a military flight program.

CEOTP-The Seneca College Pilot Program FAQs 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=105937.0

RCAF-Seneca Pilot Partnership 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,106261.75.html

etc...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 22:39:47 by mariomike »

Offline Justin Ko

• Rate Post
  • Wanting to be a Pilot!
« Reply #1345 on: March 24, 2016, 22:40:49 »
Thank you guys so much, you guys have really helped me a lot.
― Winston S. Churchill

Offline Justin Ko

• Rate Post
  • Wanting to be a Pilot!
« Reply #1346 on: March 24, 2016, 22:41:55 »

No, not yet as I am still finishing high school and wondering what the best course of action I should take.
― Winston S. Churchill

Offline Downhiller229

• Rate Post
« Reply #1347 on: March 24, 2016, 22:56:30 »
No, not yet as I am still finishing high school and wondering what the best course of action I should take.

If you are finishing high school Seneca CEOTP is the only option that I would recommend to any of my friends. I don't know why anyone without a degree would do any different! Look into it and see which options align the most with your desires but if getting in the cockpit and moving along the stream is more important to you than having a degree there is no reason not to choose the Seneca program. Some even might say it comes with certain... Privileges.

Happy reading!

Offline Justin Ko

• Rate Post
  • Wanting to be a Pilot!
« Reply #1348 on: March 25, 2016, 10:59:13 »
If you are finishing high school Seneca CEOTP is the only option that I would recommend to any of my friends. I don't know why anyone without a degree would do any different! Look into it and see which options align the most with your desires but if getting in the cockpit and moving along the stream is more important to you than having a degree there is no reason not to choose the Seneca program. Some even might say it comes with certain... Privileges.

Happy reading!

Would ROTP through RMC be the same, or even better than CEOTP?
― Winston S. Churchill

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #1349 on: March 25, 2016, 11:38:32 »
Would ROTP through RMC be the same, or even better than CEOTP?

You may find these discussions of interest,

Becoming a Pilot through the RMC 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,90552.75.html
4 pages.

ROTP - Pilot (Not CEOTP)
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=111563.0

Applying to RMC through ROTP, to become a pilot in the long run... 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=83647.0

applying to ROTP for Pilot 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=80137.0

Pilot Applicants 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,13513.75.html
4 pages.

applying for ROTP? (Pilot)
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=107357.0

etc...