Author Topic: Presidents Need to Visit the Troops  (Read 7474 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
Presidents Need to Visit the Troops
« on: December 02, 2018, 10:46:05 »
Yup  :nod:

Presidents Need to Visit the Troops

It’s how commanders in chief show soldiers they’re not forgotten.

And yet presidents need to visit the troops—it is a vital thing to do. Part of this is simply good leadership, because despite the cynics, most of the grunts want to see their president. For one thing, a president is, by definition, a celebrity, and the troops love celebrities—television or film stars, singers, you name it. They want the selfies and the signatures, and they get a kick out of watching the president serve Thanksgiving dinner or mug with a sweating, oil-stained mechanic. In that respect, they do not differ from their contemporaries in the civilian world.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/12/trump-needs-visit-troops/576973/
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Presidents Need to Visit the Troops
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 11:07:14 »
I'm not sure why you left out the introduction, which from my experience, says it all.
Battlefield tourism  is the sour term occasionally used by soldiers when some group of distinguished visitors shows up in the deserts of Iraq or the mountains of Afghanistan. From the soldiers’ point of view, the itinerant pundits or officials are a nuisance. They require special care and handling, they ask dumb questions, they take up the time of harried commanders and sleep-deprived intelligence briefers, and they really don’t get what this enterprise is all about. The visitors will probably go back and brag about their time under fire when they have just been lounging around a safe forward operating base—but if they do force their way to a place where bombs go off or snipers shoot, they can be a real menace to others as well as themselves.

And it wasn't just celebrities or politicians, it's the Staff Annoyance Visits from military chair-warmers trying to rack up 32  days in-theatre, to qualify for bling.

A pox on the lot of 'em!     

[Unless this is some back-door effort to get Trump killed off...which, like the hand-wringing (gleeful or fearful) about the Dems having sufficient strength to impeach Trump, is the very last thing anyone should hope for -- Pence becoming President ...by any means!   Not discussing further, as I try  to avoid the recurring train-wreck that is US Politics threads] 

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 15:36:56 »
The President or PM/GG should be dropping in to say hello etc. The “military tourists “  ie a bunch of officers -need to stay home.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 17:39:41 »
Historically previous Presidents have visited the troops at least for a photo op, this year at Christmas might be a good time for Trump to stop in at Afghanistan. But he could also send the VP or Mattis out to visit the troops.

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 17:51:22 »
Historically previous Presidents have visited the troops at least for a photo op, this year at Christmas might be a good time for Trump to stop in at Afghanistan. But he could also send the VP or Mattis out to visit the troops.

The VP and Mattis should certainly get out there and do that. (and I'm sure Mattis has already done so several times.)

On the other hand, if there is a perception that Trump is "sending them in his place" then he deserves to be roundly criticized for not doing his job. If he can go to all the political rallies that he attends and the weekly golf trips he could easily make it down to Fort Bragg and meet XVIII Airborne Corps or JSOC or head over to MacDill and visit CENTCOM to meet some of the folks.

:subbies:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 18:14:39 »
Trump prides himself on being savvy on military matters and talks to his generals all the time.  Maybe they're telling him to "stay home"?
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 18:15:32 »
2019 is election time so expect to see Trump among the troops. He has done pretty well in that regard in his tenure.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 18:23:46 »
They want the selfies and the signatures, and they get a kick out of watching the president serve Thanksgiving dinner or mug with a sweating, oil-stained mechanic.

He gave them a telephone call from Mar-a-Lago.
https://www.google.com/search?ei=RmkEXKXYMoOAtQXPoaDQCg&q=+troops+thanksgiving+trump&oq=+troops+thanksgiving+trump&gs_l=psy-ab.12...16582.22162..23470...0.0..0.88.250.3......0....1j2..gws-wiz.......0j0i7i30j0i30j0i8i30j0i22i30.j_74i5fBgsQ

That's the next best thing.

Interesting quote about "Battlefield tourism" in Reply #1.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 18:28:54 by mariomike »

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 18:45:40 »
I'm not sure why you left out the introduction, which from my experience, says it all.
And it wasn't just celebrities or politicians, it's the Staff Annoyance Visits from military chair-warmers trying to rack up 32  days in-theatre, to qualify for bling.

A pox on the lot of 'em!     

[Unless this is some back-door effort to get Trump killed off...which, like the hand-wringing (gleeful or fearful) about the Dems having sufficient strength to impeach Trump, is the very last thing anyone should hope for -- Pence becoming President ...by any means!   Not discussing further, as I try  to avoid the recurring train-wreck that is US Politics threads] 

At the Company level I enjoyed receiving BFTs at the 'frontline FOB'.

Whenever possible, I would substitute them in for a soldier scheduled to head out on a local town patrol ... 'here, take my flak jacket, chest rig and rifle'.

Funny, after awhile, the numbers of BFTs tended to drop off...  ;D
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 19:13:01 »
the troops love celebrities—television or film stars, singers, you name it.

Pretty hard to top Bob Hope when he brought Raquel Welch to entertain the military in Vietnam for Christmas 1967.  :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDlBIqRPX_c

« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 19:18:29 by mariomike »

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 20:33:58 »
Pretty hard to top Bob Hope when he brought Raquel Welch to entertain the military in Vietnam for Christmas 1967.  :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDlBIqRPX_c

Joey Heatherton!!

Video link below:

https://youtu.be/wU3l9bpDtnM

« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 21:27:58 by FJAG »

Offline reverse_engineer

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 21:07:27 »
At the Company level I enjoyed receiving BFTs at the 'frontline FOB'.

Whenever possible, I would substitute them in for a soldier scheduled to head out on a local town patrol ... 'here, take my flak jacket, chest rig and rifle'.

Funny, after awhile, the numbers of BFTs tended to drop off...  ;D

Awesome!  ;D

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 23:10:39 »
Awesome!  ;D

Yes, it was.

Even better, we had a Gung Ho Asst Adjt on one of my tours (a female) who was always down doing patrols with us at 'ground zero'. Unarmed, because the policy was that female troops and police would not be armed as they were considered 'non combatants (like a 1000lb IED can tell the difference, right?).

I finally started sending copies of our patrol program to her directly, copy the Adjt, Ops O and CO, to try and shame the rest of them into joining us occasionally, which they did not (because they were careerist cowards hiding behind the 'I'm so busy' excuse, IMHO).

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 23:21:37 »
Its important for staff officers in a combat zone to try and get a feel for what the troops are dealing with.Flip side I remember when I served in Korea Staff officers would schedule trips to the DMZ so as to qualify for combat pay,which I think is/was abhorrent. A Colonel or BG for example gets paid pretty well so why does he need an extra $200 ? Its unnecessary and it creates
an undue burden on the troops being visited,as the VIP's needed security.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 05:27:36 »
Garbage sweeps as far as the eye can see.

Rearranging piles of sandbags to look neater.

Rearranging piles of scrap wood to look like organized piles of scrap wood.

Raking stones in stone parking lots.

Days off lost it they coincide with a visit because you have to appear busy 24/7

Always a pleasure when visitors visit   ;D
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 06:57:14 by Jarnhamar »
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2018, 10:33:34 »
Garbage sweeps as far as the eye can see.

Rearranging piles of sandbags to look neater.

Rearranging piles of scrap wood to look like organized piles of scrap wood.

Raking stones in stone parking lots.

Days off lost it they coincide with a visit because you have to appear busy 24/7

Always a pleasure when visitors visit   ;D

For the win!  :nod:

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2018, 10:38:27 »
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2018, 11:19:36 »
Don't PM's have a political need to be seen with the Forces ?

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2018, 11:35:23 »

:rofl:

Thanks, T6! I needed a good laugh!

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -7245.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2018, 13:01:31 »

Thanks for that. We tend to forget our own transgressions while pointing out the fault in others. Especially, when we really have nothing to crow about or anyone smart enough to compete.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2018, 13:40:15 »
He went to Latvia to visit the troops last July and I seem to remember a trip to each of Esquimalt and our training mission in the Ukraine and the reopening of the Voltigeurs de Quebec Armoury.

I don't like the guy and you may call these photo ops but he's been getting around.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 13:50:34 by FJAG »

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2018, 14:28:25 »
Don't get me wrong, my reaction to T6's comment was not that PM's haven't visited the troops before - including the current one - it was aimed at the "political need to be seen" doing it.

The Canadian population generally cares about the well being and morale of soldiers so much that, other than giving full respect to those who are killed in the line of duty, they generally couldn't care less how politicians and the military interact. Thus, wether a PM ever visits the troops or not is totally ignored by media and population and carries no political weight whatsoever when voting time or "holding politicians accountable" time comes around.

Ever watch New Year special shows on TV on New Year or New Year eve's? It's CTV that intersperses clips of CAF members serving abroad giving wishes of the season to Canadians - not CBC. That should tell you every thing you need to know right there. 

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2018, 19:39:59 »
Interesting post. I never really noticed that about CBC. When they had production control over HNIC, there were often clips from overseas...has Rogers discontinued that?
Living the lean life

Offline Bird_Gunner45

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2018, 19:50:16 »
Thanks for that. We tend to forget our own transgressions while pointing out the fault in others. Especially, when we really have nothing to crow about or anyone smart enough to compete.

I personally met our head of state, the GG, in Jerusalem and was in Amman when he was there visiting troops and remember trudeau going to Latvia.

https://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2018/07/10/prime-minister-concludes-successful-visit-latvia

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2018, 20:12:22 »
He went to Latvia to visit the troops last July and I seem to remember a trip to each of Esquimalt and our training mission in the Ukraine and the reopening of the Voltigeurs de Quebec Armoury.

I don't like the guy and you may call these photo ops but he's been getting around.

Not long ago i was present when he visited some police officers undergoing in service training. It was on one of the “private business” days or however the PM’s public schedule terms it. There was nothing in it for him (besides a bit of fun I suppose), it wasn’t publicized or used for a photo op or anything. It wasn’t a dog and pony and didn’t really disrupt what was going on much. He simply of his own volition came out to see ‘the troops’ doing troop stuff when he didn’t have to and there was no expectation of it. I still don’t have a high opinion of the guy’s politics and at this rate he’s not getting my vote, but I do respect the act for what it was, and having been on the ground it felt genuine.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.