Author Topic: Operation LENTUS – Domestic Operations 2018 - current [Merged]  (Read 5427 times)

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
Reviving the disaster assistance thread. Looks like Quebec has called in the army for the flooding that’s about to happen in the Gatineau area and elsewhere. Nice to see they aren’t waiting til it’s been underwater for a week already this time. I’ve not seen details yet on call outs, but I imagine the IRUs are spooling up.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/rainfall-warnings-flooding-southern-quebec-1.5105087
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
Re: Operation LENTUS – Domestic Operations 2018 - current [Merged]
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 20:35:25 »
To a degree. The current approach is to rate floods at 100, 300 or 1000 year events with the lower numbers occurring more often and being less severe. The 1997 flood was a 1000yr event, and the 2011 flood a 300 year event. Most serious floods here are 100yr events and cause widespread, but reasonably easy to manage crises.

Several factors come into play when flood forecasting: the amount of fall rain and ground saturation coupled with the first freeze date, the winter snow cover, and upstream events in North Dakota; to name a few. Flood forecasts can change at a moments notice if there is a large late season snowfall with very cold weather that prevents runoff. This last factor was what precipitated the flood of 2011 which had initially been rated at 100yr but was much worse. The recent reduction in flood damages are due to several initiatives: widening the mouth of the Floodway where it drains into Lake Winnipeg, completion of the Brunkild dyke, and extension of the Portage diversion for example. As each of these projects nears completion, the degree of flood damage should lessen. That being said, there are some towns like Morris, that will continue to be at risk, as will some farms. The Red River drainage basin is massive, taking up most of lower MB and some of lower SK, and flooding can occur anywhere within its boundaries.

Link to map.

And let's not forget that after the 1950 flood in Winnipeg, the Manitoba Government authorized the building of the Red River Floodway:

At the time, the project was the second largest earth-moving project in the world – next only to the construction of the Panama Canal.[7] The total cost at the time was $63 million (CAD), equivalent to approximately $505 million today.

It has been very effective

Subsequent events have vindicated the plan. Since its completion in 1968, the Floodway has prevented over $40 billion (CAD) in cumulative flood damage.[3] It was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 2000, as the floodway is an outstanding engineering achievement both in terms of function and impact.

The 1997 flood was definitely an unexpected event and after which an expansion to the system was undertaken

The Red River Floodway Expansion was completed in late 2010 at a final cost of more than $665,000,000 CAD. Since the completion of the expansion, the capacity of the floodway has increased to 4,000 cubic metres (140,000 cubic feet) per second, the estimated level of a 1-in-700 year flood event.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_River_Floodway

Looks to me like Manitoba has taken its responsibilities seriously.

:cheers:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 20:39:51 by FJAG »
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 23:35:58 »
And let's not forget that after the 1950 flood in Winnipeg, the Manitoba Government authorized the building of the Red River Floodway:

It has been very effective

The 1997 flood was definitely an unexpected event and after which an expansion to the system was undertaken

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_River_Floodway

Looks to me like Manitoba has taken its responsibilities seriously.

Affectionately known as Duff's Ditch (1962 to 1968) - courtesy of Duff Roblin 
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Offline OldTanker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 17:34:26 »
I had the privilege of meeting Mr. Roblin in our command post in Winnipeg during the floods. A true gentleman, but boy, talk about somebody who clearly was feeling very vindicated! He got a lot of criticism when the spillway was being built, but nobody in 1997 was criticizing him.

Offline OceanBonfire

• Rate Post
Recruiting Center: Montreal
Regular/Reserve: Regular Force
Officer/NCM: Officer (DEO)
Occupation choice: Logistics Officer
Current application: March 28, 2017
CFAT: Previously completed in November 2011
Interview: July 11, 2017
Medical: August 2017
Competition list: October/November 2017
Position Offered: May 25, 2018
Swearing In: August 21, 2018
BMOQ: August 25, 2018
BMOQ Graduation: November 16, 2018

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 17:57:14 »
Ottawa has declared a state of emergency, first time since the Ice Storm of '98. The mayor is anticipating 400 troops on the ground starting tomorrow. I suspect we'll see 33 CBG units in the NCR get activated.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline OceanBonfire

• Rate Post

Offline kratz

Summer is here...and more rain.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 19:06:22 »
When aid to civil power is requested from the RCN, the answer is a total force response.
The navy responds what assets, where ect...and how can it be deployed.

Most of the media reports for Op LENTUS are for soldiers...but our RCN  sailors respond with our expertise and resources.
Standing up the Op Cen is a far better improvement to the mistakes from 20 years ago.

Edit: Photo credit to @HMCSNCSMPrevost
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 19:24:39 by kratz »
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 08:43:15 »
Here in Montreal, most of the media specifically mentions that the military aid is from the Army and the Canadian Navy (they don't say "Royal", but at least they acknowledge the contribution.). In fact, they also show seamen at work, and on the first few days of the OP, they even showed a herky-bird landing in St-Hubert and unloading a large Rhib - then explaining that the Navy was bringing in specialized boats.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 17:49:59 »
Here in Montreal, most of the media specifically mentions that the military aid is from the Army and the Canadian Navy (they don't say "Royal", but at least they acknowledge the contribution.). In fact, they also show seamen at work, and on the first few days of the OP, they even showed a herky-bird landing in St-Hubert and unloading a large Rhib - then explaining that the Navy was bringing in specialized boats.

I saw a couple of really good clips with a couple of young OS in a RHIB out helping... BZ everyone and be safe.
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline kratz

Summer is here...and more rain.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 18:26:59 »
I'm happy to see our veterans doing what our elected leaders hedge away from.

LCol (Ret'd) McCrimmon, Karen sand bagging away and having to step up when things got out of hand...with JT's visit.
She just wanted to get things back to the job.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 21:10:14 »
I'm happy to see our veterans doing what our elected leaders hedge away from.

LCol (Ret'd) McCrimmon, Karen sand bagging away and having to step up when things got out of hand...with JT's visit.
She just wanted to get things back to the job.

A number of local residents in that area who were on site have been confirming that the PM’s visit held things up by around an hour.

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 08:04:23 »
Damned if you do damned if you don't.

The GG visited
Doug Ford spent time handing out his phone number
JT showed up
Andrew Scheer came out

They all get crapped on when they show up, they all get crapped on if they don't.  No matter what, they all get in the way and disrupt things. 
Optio

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 09:16:11 »
The only one getting crapped on is the PM, but I wouldn't want to cloud the issue with facts.

Online SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 09:22:57 »
Damned if you do damned if you don't.

The GG visited
Doug Ford spent time handing out his phone number
JT showed up
Andrew Scheer came out

They all get crapped on when they show up, they all get crapped on if they don't.  No matter what, they all get in the way and disrupt things.

To my knowledge, only one of that list got publically crapped on.
That is a bad sign for the Liberal team, when that happens. I cannot wait to see what happens at the Calgary Stampede pancake breakfast this. If JT even shows up.

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2019, 09:42:21 »
To my knowledge, only one of that list got publically crapped on.
That is a bad sign for the Liberal team, when that happens. I cannot wait to see what happens at the Calgary Stampede pancake breakfast this. If JT even shows up.

True.  My point is that politicians will be criticized one way or another by those that don't like them. 

Also that area is traditionally conservative country.
Optio

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2019, 09:47:41 »
True.  My point is that politicians will be criticized one way or another by those that don't like them. 

Also that area is traditionally conservative country.

I spoke to a guy who used to be a 'handler' for politicians.

He said that, if you are a politician and decide to turn up during some kind of emergency, stick to the 'war room' level of operations, and be seen to bring help of some kind. Any effort to look like you're helping on the front lines, like filling sandbags, is always taken as a tawdry grandstanding effort.
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline DanteKania

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2019, 14:47:50 »
Why did 31 CBG cancel their training mid way through and go to Ottawa when 33 CBG is already there?

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2019, 15:34:08 »
Why did 31 CBG cancel their training mid way through and go to Ottawa when 33 CBG is already there?

Probably cause they need the equipment or man power. DOMOPs has priority so if they need people or equipment, training can be cancelled
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline OceanBonfire

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2019, 15:16:56 »
Montreal authorities annoyed by selfie-seekers in flooded areas
By Staff The Canadian Pres

Montreal first responders are warning against so-called disaster tourism after noting a spike in selfie-seekers in neighbourhoods threatened by swollen rivers.

An operations chief with the Montreal fire department says his teams have seen many people who don’t live in the affected areas milling about makeshift dikes and other flood-relief infrastructure, snapping photos and selfies.

The fire department’s Martin Guilbault says all they’re doing is getting in the way of emergency workers who are trying to keep the areas secure.

Guilbault says he personally observed the phenomenon, and people have been asked politely to leave.

He says the dikes have been made in a matter of days and aren’t permanent infrastructure, and he doesn’t want onlookers possibly damaging them.

Emergency officials also don’t want to have to deal with outsiders should one of the dikes give way, creating an extreme emergency.

“Don’t come by if you have no reason to be here,” Guilbault said, summarizing his department’s message Tuesday.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5221847/montreal-flooding-authorities-warn-people-against-selfies/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-flooding-dikes-disaster-tourism-1.5115179

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2019, 22:25:26 »
The main bridge in to the base at Petawawa has been closed, as the local department of public works dumps truckloads of boulders to try to stop the raging river from further eroding the banks.

A massive operation is underway in Petawawa to save a key bridge. Rising flood waters are eroding an abutment on the Petawawa Boulevard Bridge, the main link between the town and the military base. Truckload after truckload of massive boulders is being dumped along an abutment in a frantic effort to save it from collapse. The swollen and now ferocious Petawawa River is chewing away at the concrete on the 45 year old structure

Lee Perkin is the Director of Public Works for the County of Renfrew, “Upstream, the river takes a sharp turn and with this much flow, it wants to go straight so it is undermining all the embankment behind us.”

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/petawawa-boulevard-bridge-closes-at-risk-of-collapse-1.4402275#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=Facebook&_gsc=s4xxnmF

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Online SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2019, 23:17:38 »
I have many, many hours white water kayaking that stretch of River. This spring is going to change the rapids, just a bit...

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
The main bridge in to the base at Petawawa has been closed, as the local department of public works dumps truckloads of boulders to try to stop the raging river from further eroding the banks.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/petawawa-boulevard-bridge-closes-at-risk-of-collapse-1.4402275#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=Facebook&_gsc=s4xxnmF

Looks like 1972 déjà vu all over again.

Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
And now there's a freezing rain warning for the whole area.

https://www.google.org/publicalerts/alert?aid=4b04147211a29a21&hl=en&gl=CA&source=wweather

That should help. Not.

Online Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Doug Ford is just giving a speech at the Muskoka Chamber of Commerce.  First thing he does is acknowledge, recognize and thank the CF for coming to the rescue “ like cavalry”.  It has been a long time since a Premier of Ontario has so consistently recognized the CF.
Living the lean life

Offline OceanBonfire

• Rate Post
Soldiers in flood zone engage in germ warfare

Their enemy is E. coli, their weapons bleach and scrub brushes

Stu Mills · CBC News · Posted: May 04, 2019

Soldiers at Ottawa's Connaught Range disinfect army waders after a day in the flood zone. (Stu Mills/CBC)

At the Connaught Range near Shirley's Bay in west Ottawa, three soldiers are engaging with the enemy in hand-to-hand combat.

The weapon of choice in this battle: a plastic kitchen scrub brush normally applied to casserole dishes in the mess hall.

Their enemy is E. coli, a coliform bacterium commonly found in the lower intestine of warm-blooded organisms.

The worry is that as the Ottawa River overruns septic fields and sewer systems in the area, E. coli cells, which can survive outside the body for a limited amount of time, will mix with the water circulating around waders, boots and ungloved hands, and sicken the 700 or so soldiers helping with the flood effort here.

So far, the military says it's been winning the battle.

Army waders hang to dry in a heated building at Connaught Range. (Stu Mills/CBC)

A simple solution

Three large grey, Rubbermaid tubs sit on folding tables in the parking lot of a building on Brouillette Boulevard near the southwest corner of this sprawling training facility.

"It's a very simple solution," said Cpl. David Pickett.

In the first tub, dirty waders are scrubbed down with soapy water. They're then dunked in the middle tub and rinsed with clean water.

Finally, a third container containing one part bleach and 10 parts water is used to put the enemy out of its misery.

The clean equipment is then taken to hang dry in a building where a diesel-fuelled heater and fans have created a tropical environment.

"Hygiene is crucial," said Pickett, who hails from North Bay, Ont.

After they have been cleaned with soap and a mild bleach solution, soldiers hang the wet waders inside a heated building to dry. (Stu Mills/CBC)

Simple advice

The CFB Petawawa medical technician has training similar to that of a paramedic, and offers some simple advice to civilians who don't have decontamination stations of their own.

"Just shower at the end of every day. Make sure you're clean. Don't play in the water."

"To be honest, I'm not that worried," said Capt.James Bryan Fukakusa, the University of Ottawa-trained medical officer for operation LENTUS.

So far, the small field clinic at Connaught Range has dealt only with relatively minor injuries to the roughly 700 troops stationed here in tent-like shelters. It's been mostly sore backs, feet and hands, Fukakusa said.

"The kinds of things that I think a lot of Canadians are familiar with who have been working with sandbags — making them, putting them out into walls."

Capt. James Bryan Fukakusa enters the field clinic where injured soldiers receive medical attention. (Stu Mills/CBC)

Handwashing crucial

Those with cuts or blisters should keep their wounds covered and dry, he said. If there is pain or swelling, they should seek medical attention.

One of the greatest dangers is inattention: soldiers who have been working in the dirty water and take a break for food or drink without first washing their hands.

"You need to treat [the water] as contaminated," agreed Michael Ferguson, Ottawa Public Health's health hazards response unit manager

OPH is directing anyone in the flood zone to consult a special web page.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/soldiers-flood-zone-engage-germ-warfare-1.5122493

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
I understand the context, but I don't think "germ warfare" is the right term...
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Online milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
The latest:  Hercs into NW Ontario to help evacuate folks from forest fire smoke ...
Today, the Honourable Ralph Goodale, Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, made the following statement about wildfires and heavy smoke impacting the community of Pikangikum First Nation in Ontario:

"I received a request this morning from the Province of Ontario regarding the impact of nearby wildfires and heavy smoke from forest fires occurring in Western Canada on the community of Pikangikum First Nation. On behalf of the Government of Canada, the Associate Minister of National Defence, the Honourable Lawrence MacAulay, on behalf of the Honourable Harjit Sajjan, Minister of National Defence, and I have accepted their formal request for federal assistance to provide immediate evacuation resources to the affected communities. This Ontario request involves the deployment of Canadian Armed Forces personnel to provide transportation support for evacuation of members from the fly-in community of Pikangikum First Nation to a designated host community.

The Government Operations Centre has staff working to coordinate the federal response to the situation in Ontario. Officials are working closely with federal and provincial partners to coordinate and plan the full details of this assistance.

Canadians can be assured that all levels of government are working seamlessly together to deliver the required help ...
This from MSM ...
Emergency management officials in Ontario say they expect three flights using Canadian military aircraft will be at the core of evacuation efforts in Pikangikum First Nation in northern Ontario on Thursday as a large wildfire burning near the community prompted a state of emergency.

The MPP for the area said local leaders have told him some residents have left on their own.

The provincial government has arranged with a number of cities across northern Ontario to host evacuees, including Thunder Bay.

Officials in Pikangikum, a fly-in community located about 500 kilometres northwest of Thunder Bay, called for multiple planes Thursday morning to help people leave as a forest fire, known as Red lake 14, covered the First Nation in smoke and lit the sky red the night before.

The Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry said early Thursday afternoon that the fire had grown from 12 hectares to 400 hectares in about a 24-hour period; it was over 3,000 hectares by early Thursday evening. Sol Mamakwa, the New Democrat MPP for the riding that includes Pikangikum, tweeted Thursday afternoon that the flames were threatening some homes ...
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2019, 08:23:07 »
Alberta, too ...
The federal government says the military is going to help with Alberta’s wildfire fight.

Federal Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale says Alberta has asked for Canadian Forces assistance and the federal government has accepted the request.

Goodale says the military will be ready to help airlift evacuees as needed, as well as transport supplies and provide medical assistance ...
Via the info-machine ...
May 31, 2019 – Today, the Honourable Ralph Goodale, Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, issued the following statement about wildfires in Alberta.

“I have received a request from the Province of Alberta, regarding the wildfire situation. On behalf of the Government of Canada, the Minister of National Defence, the Honourable Harjit Sajjan, and I have accepted their formal request for federal assistance to help citizens in need.

The Government Operations Centre has dedicated staff working to coordinate the federal response to the situation in Alberta. Officials are working closely with federal and provincial partners on planning the details of this assistance, including support from Canadian Armed Forces. The federal government will make air and ground resources available as necessary for evacuations and the delivery of aid and medical support. Citizens can rest assured that help will be provided ...

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2019, 08:14:44 »
Latest iteration of Op LENTUS ...
... the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, the Honourable Ralph Goodale, announced that a request by the Province of Nova Scotia for federal assistance was approved to restore essential services and ensure public welfare in the wake of Hurricane Dorian.

The Canadian Armed Forces will answer the call to assist Canadians in their time of need. Up to 700 military personnel in Atlantic Canada are preparing to deploy as early as Sunday morning, September 8, 2019. Expected tasks will including moving quickly into affected communities to safeguard lives by assisting with the restoration of power services, clearing main roadways and evacuating residents in flooded or severely damaged areas.

The full impact of the storm remains unknown at this time, but the Canadian Armed Forces are committed to working with federal and provincial partners in order to mitigate the effects of the hurricane and keep Canadians safe.

Quotes

“We are fully committed to the task at hand to support Nova Scotia Emergency Management and will move quickly and with purpose to protect Canadians and mitigate the effects of Hurricane Dorian. As members of your community, this storm is our adversary just as much as it is yours.”

—   Commander Canadian Joint Operations Command Lieutenant-General Mike Rouleau

“In response to Hurricane Dorian, the Joint Task Force Atlantic team has been in close communication with our provincial and municipal colleagues to ensure we are ready to respond rapidly in support of civil authorities to help restore our communities back to normal. We have already taken steps to prepare forces to respond quickly as the storm passes.”

—   Commander Joint Task Force Atlantic, Rear-Admiral Craig Baines

Quick facts

Joint Task Force Atlantic is in close communications with Nova Scotia Emergency Management in supporting the preparations for Hurricane Dorian to understand where and how the CAF can assist. Liaison Officers are integrated into all emergency management organizations to expedite communications between organizations.

This is the fourth Operation LENTUS deployment for the CAF in 2019 and will be identified as Operation LENTUS 19-04.

Public Safety Canada is the lead agency for coordinating federal emergency response in Canada. CAF personnel are in continuous liaison with Public Safety, as well as with provincial authorities and our other federal partners ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline RubberTree

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2019, 18:44:50 »
Is this the first time RENAISSANCE and LENTUS have deployed for the same event?

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2019, 19:22:00 »
Dorian is about as close to a 'mirror image' of a hurricane in Sept 2019 as Juan was in Sept 2003.  Track, intensity etc.  Landfall was pretty much the exact same spot (officially).  I was in Halifax at the HQ for Juan...hopefully, the CAF response to Dorian wasn't the internal clusterfuck it was in Sept 2003.

I don't remember Juan affecting the greater Maritime region to the extent Dorian has...that could just be memory fade.  Seeing pictures from all across the region.  Some people are very, very lucky.

I have a few friends who were right in the path of the eye and close to the coastline, one of them was telling me what that was like (amazing thru all the damage, etc that cell service still works).  According to him, it was "neat" when you could see the eye wall and then not so neat when the southern end of it started throwing punches again.

I'll throw a positive note out for both the MyRadar and Windy weather apps on iPhone.  Very helpful and accurate.

I wasn't in the eye, but was adjacent to it.  Whatever category that was, and wind speeds were hitting the house making the whole thing vibrate, that is about the most I hope to ever experience, thank you very much Mother Nature. 

Most importantly...no loss of life reported yet and hoping it stays that way.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 19:25:45 by Eye In The Sky »
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2019, 20:00:29 »
Latest iteration of Op LENTUS ...

What's going on here? The didn't even mention Strong, Secure, Engaged once  :tsktsk:
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Baz

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2019, 20:15:14 »
The center of the eye passed just south of Dartmouth as near as I can figure.  We were definitely in it because the winds were from the SE, then they went calm for 30 minutes, and then from the NW.  It was pretty disorganized as it went past and the eyewall had weakened... much weaker then Juan and nowhere near the damage.  Whole swaths of forest and most of Point Pleasant Park were taken out by Juan.

Didn't have any trees down or shingles off thankfully.  The power just flickered on for 5 seconds for the first time.  Been running the freezer on my Highlander Hybrid on an inverter all day.

There was one other major difference from Juan which had come in straight of the water from the south.  Dorian came in from the southwest.  The land between Chebucto Head and Peggy's Cove seemed to help it disorganized as it tracked over Halifax.  Prior to landfall the backside winds were stronger, but the back side was weaker as it passed over Dartmouth.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2019, 23:08:06 »
We had really heavy rain, but no real wind until just as it was getting dark;  powerful NW gusts.  First time I've felt a structure vibrate under my feet from wind.

A few shingles and power out is a pretty good deal!  Still no reports of loss of life, that makes today a good day.

There were the normal Darwin Award contestants out at Peggy's Cove... ::).  Some things never change....

I think the pic attached is the IRU showing up in Hfx today.  Odd to have the 36 CBG Comd there, not the Div Comd or JTFA Comd to do the grip and grin?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 23:27:30 by Eye In The Sky »

Online NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2019, 23:26:02 »
Lived through Juan - lost power then for about 26 hours.

Lived through Dorian (or "Donair" now that it's left Halifax) and responded to a Battalion Recall to report to the Windsor Park Armouries today.

This storm was nothing like Juan.  The intensity was no-where near the same. 

I bought a chain-saw on Friday- assuming I'd be needing it today.

Turns out I was able to send my 3 kids out to pick up the sticks that fell.  We got power back at about 0130 hrs.

Chain saw's gonna get used to chop up something tomorrow...I'll find a way!

I won't bother going into the detail about what the Unit did today in terms of response - suffice to say we generated troops that responded first thing this morning and were DAG'd, Class C'd and ready to move with 24 hrs of rations in hand, and chain-saws ready to go before noon.

NS
Insert disclaimer statement here....

:panzer:

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2019, 23:41:58 »
You guys seem to be focused solely on the 'core HRM area'.  I'm thinking a little bit bigger picture.  I was in Elmsdale during Juan, didn't really get the punch out there.

https://www.facebook.com/kalinCTV/photos/a.448904781813636/2416185755085519/?type=3&theater

Given all the variables and possibilities...these 2 storms were actually pretty close.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2019, 23:50:34 »

I won't bother going into the detail about what the Unit did today in terms of response - suffice to say we generated troops that responded first thing this morning and were DAG'd, Class C'd and ready to move with 24 hrs of rations in hand, and chain-saws ready to go before noon.

NS

That's excellent work, right there  :salute:

Online NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2019, 06:49:23 »
The O-Group I attended at 2130 last evening had discussions about many areas outside of HRM - yesterday's work was pushed out in the local area because of proximity to the base and IRU. 

One of the discussion points was the MKT's that came along - there's 3 present, one from the SvcBn in Willow Park - the 2 that came with the IRU are both available to be pushed out to where the troops will be working - and both Lawrencetown and Sydney were mentioned in discussions.  So, the reach of the response will be broad, and not solely focused on the city itself, and in the very first day's plans, the entire breadth of the province was discussed and considered.

NS
Insert disclaimer statement here....

:panzer:

Offline Baz

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2019, 07:24:28 »
The power just came on.  Yeah.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2019, 07:38:52 »
The O-Group I attended at 2130 last evening had discussions about many areas outside of HRM - yesterday's work was pushed out in the local area because of proximity to the base and IRU. 

One of the discussion points was the MKT's that came along - there's 3 present, one from the SvcBn in Willow Park - the 2 that came with the IRU are both available to be pushed out to where the troops will be working - and both Lawrencetown and Sydney were mentioned in discussions.  So, the reach of the response will be broad, and not solely focused on the city itself, and in the very first day's plans, the entire breadth of the province was discussed and considered.

NS

This definitely sounds different than 2003, in a good way!

Offline Underway

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2019, 09:08:42 »
Where I am in Dartmouth it was and wasn't that bad.  Lost power from about 3pm to about 7pm the next day.  The trees that I did see down looked like they had shallow roots and the water soaking really softened up the soil. letting them be pulled down more easy.  Neighbours house lost some siding, but not too bad. 

Given how long it takes a tree to grow I would bet dollars to donuts that the damage isn't as bad partially because Juan did such a number.  There are forests/woodlots around Halifax that are still recovering from Juan.

Honestly from a "intensity" perspective I've been in way worse storms in Ontario, BC and Quebec.  However those were generally very isolated (barring the ice storm) where as damage from this storm is everywhere.  There is damage all over Nova Scotia right now.  The Dockyard was still without power this morning.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2019, 16:37:53 »
Article Link

Army response to hurricane Dorian gets off to slow start in Dartmouth

The plan for Canadian Armed Forces soldiers to assist in the cleanup of debris in the wake of hurricane Dorian got off to a slow start on Monday.

Approximately 300 soldiers — mostly from CFB Gagetown in New Brunswick — have been assigned to Operation LENTUS.

On Monday morning, soldiers were deployed to Dartmouth, Yarmouth, Sydney, Liverpool, Lunenburg and Amherst.

Soldiers arrived in Dartmouth in three light armoured vehicles fully prepared to clear a heavy maple tree that brought down power lines as it fell, partially blocking a pathway on Lyngby Avenue.

Lt. Gabriel Picard was tasked with removing the large tree blocking the street.

“We are here to support the local authorities and to help things return to normal after the passage of hurricane Dorian,” said Picard, troop commander with 4 Engineer Support Regiment, based at Canadian Forces Base Gagetown.

Unfortunately, the soldiers left two hours later without having touched the tree. Without an electrician to ensure the site was safe, the soldiers put away their chainsaw and left to take a break.

The unit was successful in moving a slab of sidewalk in the area and the soldiers were able to quickly pack up and move on to another area.

Dartmouth resident Sherri MacDonald said she and her neighbours were grateful for the army’s assistance.

“When I drove up here a few minutes ago, it was a little shocking,” she said as onlookers gathered along the sun-drenched sidewalk.

“But I’m also really thankful that we have all of these folks out cleaning up our city and helping us get things back to normal.”

MacDonald said the storm temporarily cut power to her home on Richards Drive, but her property was not damaged.

“I do know that it wreaked havoc all over the city,” she said. “People can’t get to work. The power is out. Lines are down. Trees are blocking the way. I know that lots of folks had damage to their cars and their houses… I think it was a pretty significant impact.”

Soldiers deployed on Operation LENTUS are being sent where they are most needed and an additional 400 troops are being held in reserve if their assistance becomes necessary.

Okay, maybe not so different than 2003 was then?   ;D

What's with the body armour... ???
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 16:40:45 by Eye In The Sky »

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2019, 16:55:17 »
LCF?

;D
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2019, 17:14:11 »
LCF?

;D

:facepalm:

I was really hopin' someone would say it's mandatory PPE now for anyone turret-surfing...

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2019, 17:19:52 »
Article Link

Canadian soldiers armed with chainsaws clear debris left in Dorian's wake

Dartmouth resident Sherri MacDonald said she and her neighbours were grateful for the army's assistance

HALIFAX — Canadian soldiers armed with chainsaws fanned out across the Halifax area on Monday to help clean up the tangled mess of fallen trees and power lines left behind by post-tropical storm Dorian.

Their high-profile deployment — carried out under bright sunshine — was part of a wider effort to deal with power outages that have left much of the Maritimes in the dark for two days.

Utility companies in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and P.E.I. are facing a massive task in restoring electricity to hundreds of thousands of customers.

In Nova Scotia, the province that sustained the most damage from Dorian's hurricane-force winds, almost 200,000 homes and businesses were still without electricity on Monday afternoon.

Earlier in the day, three of the Canadian Army's light armoured vehicles were dispatched to a neighbourhood on the east side of Halifax harbour, where Lt. Gabriel Picard was tasked with removing a large maple tree blocking a residential street.

"We are here to support the local authorities and to help things return to normal after the passage of hurricane Dorian," said Picard, troop commander with 4 Engineer Support Regiment, based at Canadian Forces Base Gagetown in New Brunswick.

"Our main priority is to clear the roads and to make sure that people without power are safe."

However, Picard and his squad couldn't start cutting up the uprooted tree because its top branches were still tangled in utility wires on the far side of the street. Without an electrician to ensure the site was safe, the soldiers put away their chainsaw and left to take a break.

As their green armoured vehicles rumbled through Dartmouth, the soldiers were greeted with waves and shouts of encouragement from children on the sidewalk, enjoying a day off from school.

Dartmouth resident Sherri MacDonald said she and her neighbours were grateful for the army's assistance.

"When I drove up here a few minutes ago, it was a little shocking," she said as onlookers gathered along the sun-drenched sidewalk.

"But I'm also really thankful that we have all of these folks out cleaning up our city and helping us get things back to normal."

MacDonald said the storm temporarily cut power to her home on Richards Drive, but her property was not damaged.

"I do know that it wreaked havoc all over the city," she said. "People can't get to work. The power is out. Lines are down. Trees are blocking the way. I know that lots of folks had damage to their cars and their houses .... I think it was a pretty significant  impact."

About 300 soldiers from Canadian Forces Base Gagetown in central New Brunswick were brought in to help with the cleanup and another 400 "immediate reaction forces" were on standby.

On Sunday, Nova Scotia Power CEO Karen Hutt said the privately owned utility was facing a "worst case scenario" after Dorian roared over the middle of the province.

She said that even with the help of utility crews from Quebec, Ontario, New Brunswick, Florida and Maine, it would likely be Wednesday before the lights are back on in all areas of the province.

Many schools across Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island were closed Monday, and emergency officials have been urging people to stay home — both for their own safety and to give cleanup crews the room they need to work.

In New Brunswick, more than 80,000 homes and businesses were without electricity at the peak of the storm on Saturday.

NB Power spokesman Marc Belliveau said that number had been reduced to about 10,000 by midday Monday, and he expected most of those would be reconnected by Monday night.

"The damage is widespread, so you might have one area where there are several hundred people that can be re-energized with one repair," he said.

"But in another area that's going to take you just as long to cut trees and do repairs, there might be one or two houses. That's going to be the ongoing challenge in the next couple of days."

On Prince Edward Island, Maritime Electric said efforts to restore power were slow-going.

"Due to the nature of the work, some customers may be without power until the end of the week," the utility wrote on its Twitter feed.

Meanwhile, many marinas around the Maritimes were left battered by Dorian's storm surges.

Boat owners at the Shediac Bay Yacht Club in New Brunswick were assessing damage Monday after strong winds and waves tossed boats around like toys.

"This is the worst we have ever seen," said Gilles Brine, a member of the club's executive.

"There are three boats that are on the rocks from the marina side, and on the slip side, there are about 20 boats that are on top of each other."

At the height of the storm, waves were crashing over the marina's breakwater, he said.

On Monday, crews were removing boats and damaged sections of the wharf.

In Nova Scotia, residents were being warned to be careful when using generators.

The Canadian Red Cross says a fire sparked by a generator damaged a historic general store in Petit Riviere, which is along Nova Scotia's southwestern shore.

Seems like a more positive outlook on the same story.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2019, 18:14:20 »
There is damage all over Nova Scotia right now.

Not even just to NS;  even though it was not expected to affect PEI other than the eastern portion, there is a significant area of damage centered around Summerside/Kensington in Prince County (western end of the Island).