Author Topic: The US Presidency 2020  (Read 96029 times)

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
Re: The US Presidency 2020
« Reply #1000 on: September 12, 2020, 13:27:43 »
Let's be serious - the sides in the US are entrenched now.  Even if they don't say it, most of the US population has picked one or the other in their minds. 

This single issue will not make a fence-sitter vote for Trump.

Indeed. Anyone whose mind actually isn't made up isn't going to be swayed by this. Anyone whose mind isn't made up probably isn't paying enough attention to even know about this. Any informed person probably has a pretty strongly held opinion on how they'll vote by now.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #1001 on: September 12, 2020, 14:00:32 »
I suspect far-sighted Republicans are already looking ahead to 2024.

Will they nominate Ivanka, Junior or Eric? Or, go with a more "traditional" Republican like they did in 2008 ( McCain ) or 2012 ( Romney )?
In any war, there are two tremendous tasks. That of the combat troops is to fight the enemy. That of the supply troops is to furnish all the material to insure victory. The faster and farther the combat troops advance against the foe, the greater becomes the battle of supply. EISENHOWER

Offline shawn5o

• Rate Post
  • "We have met the enemy and he is us!" Pogo
« Reply #1002 on: September 12, 2020, 14:13:45 »
Let's be serious - the sides in the US are entrenched now.  Even if they don't say it, most of the US population has picked one or the other in their minds. 

This single issue will not make a fence-sitter vote for Trump.

Hi Dimsum

You nailed it.

As the old adage says, "May you live in interesting times" is going to be very interesting during/after the US election
“We can't all be heroes because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by.” ― Will Rogers

Offline Donald H

• Rate Post
« Reply #1003 on: September 12, 2020, 14:36:43 »
Hi Dimsum

You nailed it.

As the old adage says, "May you live in interesting times" is going to be very interesting during/after the US election

It's a very popular opinion that minds are made up, but then some elections completely destroy the polls. I would say that's an indication of minds being changed without voters admitting as much.

edit: There is a significant faction turning to Trump for a reason that's not being discussed here so far. That is the faction that is represented by the views of sites such as antiwar.com. They are solid for Trump!

It's known by Americans as 'bring all the troops home'.

Could it possibly be Trump's biggest support bloc?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 14:47:21 by Donald H »
It was believed afterward that the man was a lunatic, because there was no sense in what he said.
~Mark Twain.

Offline Weinie

• Rate Post
« Reply #1004 on: September 12, 2020, 14:56:21 »
Indeed. Anyone whose mind actually isn't made up isn't going to be swayed by this. Anyone whose mind isn't made up probably isn't paying enough attention to even know about this. Any informed person probably has a pretty strongly held opinion on how they'll vote by now.

Mmmmmmmmmm.....maybe.

Basket of deplorables speech Hillary made at the DNC mtg in September 2016 certainly made headlines and likely swayed some.

Her private server issues and investigations, and an investigation into Anthony Weiner in Oct 2016, suggested that Huma Albedin, her COS, had also been sending e-mails on the private server that were potentially in conflict. FBI report on the matter may have influenced voters.

These are single issues that add up. I don't believe the current polling that shows Biden with a substantial lead is real. Anyone remember the 2016 NY Times prediction in the lead up to the election(Hillary 85%), and on the day of. (92%). I think that this is literally neck and neck amongst a highly polarized population, and that there is a small swing vote, that does not love either candidate, but does want to be enfranchised.

We are not even close to the end of the selected leaks, from both sides, that seeks to smear each other. There are 7 weeks left, and the dirt trial balloons are just beginning.

“In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it.”
– Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1005 on: September 12, 2020, 17:26:37 »
Imagine how many people are going to die choking on their own bile if Trump wins the Nobel Peace Prize.  ;D

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-bahrain-israel-mideast-deal-peace?fbclid=IwAR2ZuFmfjhHKEcNF_-hSMRiBMhD7Gky-GG_Ab_Jr6snEEiBryWDxkpkYbvg

I can’t think of anything that better characterizes the present situation then the Atlantic and this article.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/09/end-nobel-peace-prize/616300/

As if the Atlantic needed any more examples to illustrate their irrelevance. This stupidity probably got Trump another 100k votes.  Keep it up!

As both posts refer to articles that discuss/suggest the nomination of President Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize, it may be appropriate to remind us about the rules/criteria for the prize.

https://www.nobelprize.org/nomination/peace/#:~:text=A%20nomination%20for%20the%20Nobel,revealed%20until%2050%20years%20later.
A nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize may be submitted by any person who meets the nomination criteria. A letter of invitation to submit is not required. The names of the nominees and other information about the nominations cannot be revealed until 50 years later.
. . .
February – Deadline for submission. In order to be considered for the award of the year, nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize shall be sent in to the Norwegian Nobel Committee in Oslo before the 1st day of February the same year. Nominations postmarked and received after this date are included in the following year’s discussions. In recent years, the Committee has received close to 200 different nominations for different nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize. The number of nominating letters is much higher, as many are for the same candidates.
. . .
50 year secrecy rule
The Committee does not itself announce the names of nominees, neither to the media nor to the candidates themselves. In so far as certain names crop up in the advance speculations as to who will be awarded any given year’s Prize, this is either sheer guesswork or information put out by the person or persons behind the nomination. Information in the Nobel Committee’s nomination database is not made public until after fifty years.

While the bookies are laying odds and one Norwegian legislator has announced he has nominated Trump, if this activity is in response to the relatively recent progress of normalizing relations between Israel and Arab countries, then it would likely (in conjunction with simultaneous climate change in Hades) not be considered until next year considering the 1 February nomination deadline.

According to the statutes of the Nobel Foundation, a nomination is considered valid if it is submitted by a person who falls within one of the following categories:
. . .
Persons who have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize
. . .

Does this mean that, as a member of the group that won the 1988 prize, I'm able to submit a nomination? ::)
+300
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1006 on: September 13, 2020, 10:52:07 »
Add it to the list of institutions and norms of democracy that Trump has broken.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #1007 on: September 13, 2020, 23:12:39 »
From heroes to zeros,

Trump administration secretly withheld millions from FDNY 9/11 health program
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-fdny-911-health-program-treasury-20200910-s7yam67j6vhmhbdzg6ordanfdm-story.html

The Trump administration has secretly siphoned nearly $4 million away from a program that tracks and treats FDNY firefighters and paramedics suffering from 9/11 related illnesses, the Daily News has learned.

The Treasury Department mysteriously started withholding parts of payments — nearly four years ago — meant to cover medical services for firefighters and paramedics treated by the FDNY World Trade Center Health Program, documents obtained by The News reveal.
In any war, there are two tremendous tasks. That of the combat troops is to fight the enemy. That of the supply troops is to furnish all the material to insure victory. The faster and farther the combat troops advance against the foe, the greater becomes the battle of supply. EISENHOWER

Online kkwd

• Rate Post
« Reply #1008 on: September 13, 2020, 23:32:20 »
From heroes to zeros,
The Treasury Department mysteriously started withholding parts of payments — nearly four years ago — meant to cover medical services for firefighters and paramedics treated by the FDNY World Trade Center Health Program, documents obtained by The News reveal.
The Trump administration didn't exist 4 years ago. Seems like there is a problem with the city system.
An upadte to this story is here. https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-trump-admin-apologizes-fdny-911-program-20200911-d63ohrqqljbpre434qpygp7rti-story.html
According to the department and a letter that it recently sent to Rep. Pete King (R-N.Y.) attempting to explain the missing money, it matches outgoing payments to a specific tax ID, and by law, takes some money if there is a debt tied to the ID.
Part of the problem could stem from NYC’s system, in which many departments are all under the same ID number.
Somehow, the firefighter treatment program landed in that ignominious basket.
The Treasury Department told King in a letter last month that it had taken about $1.9 million from the 9/11 fund between August 2016 and May 2020 to cover “delinquent Medicare Secondary Payer debt” owed by “various entities within New York City."
The Aug. 20 letter, which King shared with The News, did not specify which entities held the debt, but said the City Department of Finance was “actively looking into the situation.”
+150
I don't subscribe to forced acceptance. I'll make up my own mind. Diversity of thought and opinion is essential.

Online Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #1009 on: September 13, 2020, 23:35:02 »
Short of a recording of 45 calling them ‘suckers and losers’, this is pretty shoddy treatment of true heroes who put service and duty before self.  Hopefully the funding is restored and retroactively compensated.
+300 « Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 23:47:21 by Good2Golf »

Online kkwd

• Rate Post
« Reply #1010 on: September 13, 2020, 23:37:02 »
Short of a recording of 45 calling them ‘suckers and losers’, this is pretty shoddy treatment of true heroes who put service and duty before self.  Hopefully the fining is restored and retroactively compensated.
It started under the Obama administration in August 2016.
I don't subscribe to forced acceptance. I'll make up my own mind. Diversity of thought and opinion is essential.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #1011 on: September 13, 2020, 23:43:43 »
Short of a recording of 45 calling them ‘suckers and losers’, this is pretty shoddy treatment of true heroes who put service and duty before self.  Hopefully the fining is restored and retroactively compensated.
That would be nice.
Hope so too. But, wouldn't count on it.

Neither the Treasury Department nor the White House answered requests for comment.

Online kkwd

• Rate Post
« Reply #1012 on: September 13, 2020, 23:47:43 »

Online Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1013 on: September 13, 2020, 23:48:09 »
It started under the Obama administration in August 2016.

And got progressively worse and worse under Trump.

Online kkwd

• Rate Post
« Reply #1014 on: September 13, 2020, 23:53:35 »
And got progressively worse and worse under Trump.
Without figures of amounts withheld being known for each year that is just a wild guess.

Online Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1015 on: September 14, 2020, 00:06:17 »
Without figures of amounts withheld being known for each year that is just a wild guess.

So it could be zero then.

Or are you saying that by any measure, all of the $1.9M cuts could have entirely been from
Aug 2016 to Jan 2017, and all be Obama’s fault?

Online kkwd

• Rate Post
« Reply #1016 on: September 14, 2020, 00:15:36 »
So it could be zero then.

Or are you saying that by any measure, all of the $1.9M cuts could have entirely been from
Aug 2016 to Jan 2017, and all be Obama’s fault?
Not at all, the amounts by year is not known, I make no assumptions. I don't blame Obama.

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1017 on: September 14, 2020, 12:25:28 »
Having trouble separating an ordinary administrative action from "Obama/Trump did it" ?
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #1018 on: September 15, 2020, 18:42:57 »
I understand he has cheerleaders on here. So this may come as a disappointment for some,

Global News

September 15, 2020

The Pew Research Center report released Tuesday finds a favourable view of the U.S. among only 35 per cent of Canadians surveyed, the lowest level recorded since Pew began polling north of the Canada-U.S. border in 2002.

“Like all countries surveyed this year, Canada’s favourable rating of the U.S. dropped sharply in 2017 as confidence in the U.S. president plummeted,” the centre said in a release.

“In the more than three years since Trump first took office, views have slowly shifted, but 2020 sees the lowest ratings for the U.S. in Canada since Pew Research Center began polling there almost two decades ago.”

The finding tracks an identical trend among all 13 countries involved in the poll — record lows were also recorded in the U.K., France, Germany, Japan and Australia.

Only 20 per cent of the poll’s 1,037 Canadian respondents expressed confidence in Trump himself, the lowest presidential rating Pew has ever recorded in Canada and a precipitous drop from the 83 per cent support for Barack Obama they found in 2016.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7335966/canada-view-u-s-drop-lowest-two-decades-poll/

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 18:50:26 by mariomike »

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1019 on: September 15, 2020, 18:56:15 »
I understand he has cheerleaders on here. So this may come as a disappointment for some,

Disappointed? I'm down right devastated. I'm calling in sick tomorrow  ;D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 18:59:56 by Jarnhamar »
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #1020 on: September 15, 2020, 20:09:55 »
I despise JT and gang of Elitists and I disliked Obama as well. However I realize that I cannot hold either of them directly responsible for every decision made, you can go after the PM/POTUS when a clearly unfair issue appears due to the daily grind of bureaucracy and they flip it off or don't deal with it when made publicly aware of it.
Any leader of a government is likley aware of perhaps .001% of what the government did each day. Only major issues generally reach that level and in the form of a 3 page briefing note at best for the majority of them.     

Offline Donald H

• Rate Post
« Reply #1021 on: September 16, 2020, 12:51:00 »

That's not something Trump would give a dam- about. He's even declared it so to gain more support from his base.

:cheers:
It was believed afterward that the man was a lunatic, because there was no sense in what he said.
~Mark Twain.

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #1022 on: September 23, 2020, 20:25:48 »
It will be interestig to see the if the results of DOJ investigations into the rioting bear fruit early enough to influence the election. This tweet shows a video of a parked U-Haul van being descended upon and being unloaded of premade signs and other supplies for a "mostly peaceful" demonstration. This certainly speaks of higher level coordination, planning and resources - the question is "from whom"?

Of course any investigation needs to find sufficient evidence to establish linkages as a "balance of probabilities" for civil cases, and "beyond a reasonable doubt" for criminal cases. One can only hope this can be done quickly for the sake of the suffering people in the affected American cities:

https://twitter.com/ShelbyTalcott/status/1308829371185139712
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1023 on: September 23, 2020, 20:45:09 »
It will be interestig to see the if the results of DOJ investigations into the rioting bear fruit early enough to influence the election. This tweet shows a video of a parked U-Haul van being descended upon and being unloaded of premade signs and other supplies for a "mostly peaceful" demonstration. This certainly speaks of higher level coordination, planning and resources - the question is "from whom"?

Of course any investigation needs to find sufficient evidence to establish linkages as a "balance of probabilities" for civil cases, and "beyond a reasonable doubt" for criminal cases. One can only hope this can be done quickly for the sake of the suffering people in the affected American cities:

https://twitter.com/ShelbyTalcott/status/1308829371185139712

I doubt it.  I think we are in the entrenched phase.  It’s about getting out the vote now.  How motivated both sides are to go vote against the other guy.
Optio

Offline QV

• Rate Post
« Reply #1024 on: September 25, 2020, 13:14:04 »
https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/09/trumps-underappreciated-foreign-policy/

These are the things most of the MSM don't want you to hear about.