Author Topic: All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)  (Read 192487 times)

Nuggs, PuckChaser (+ 1 Hidden) and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
« on: January 25, 2020, 17:56:44 »
Planning on buying some masks, gloves and more hand sanitizer to be on the safe side. Vancouver is likely highly at risk and North Van has a fairly high population of Mainland Chinese.   

TORONTO – Public health officials say they identified a “presumptive positive” case at Toronto’s Sunnybrook Hospital.

The illness has infected more than 1,200 people and killed at least 41 in China, the epicentre of the outbreak.

More to come. https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/01/25/public-health-officials-in-ontario-call-evening-news-conference/

- mod edit to make thread title broader -
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 07:27:43 by milnews.ca »

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
Re: All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 17:58:50 »
Planning on buying some masks, gloves and more hand sanitizer to be on the safe side. Vancouver is likely highly at risk and North Van has a fairly high population of Mainland Chinese.   

TORONTO – Public health officials say they identified a “presumptive positive” case at Toronto’s Sunnybrook Hospital.

The illness has infected more than 1,200 people and killed at least 41 in China, the epicentre of the outbreak.

More to come. https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/01/25/public-health-officials-in-ontario-call-evening-news-conference/

Crap. The wife and I are supposed to fly to Vancouver at the start of March and stay there for a week.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 18:03:33 »
I just went thru Toronto on WestJet twice this past week...I've sneezed a few times today...and I'm reading World Without End right now.  Not making me go  :panic:...yet.    ;D
"What a f$$kin' week!" - me, every Monday at about 1130hrs.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 18:55:18 »
Crap. The wife and I are supposed to fly to Vancouver at the start of March and stay there for a week.

Well we can buy you a beer if you survive long enough..... 8)

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 19:33:00 »
Lock down Toronto like they did Wuhan.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 23:09:53 »

According to this article lock downs like Wuhan are ineffective, plus it would be a violation of the Canadian Charter of Rights.

"Leave one wolf alive, and the sheep are never safe."

Arya Stark

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 23:21:58 »
According to this article lock downs like Wuhan are ineffective, plus it would be a violation of the Canadian Charter of Rights.

Excerpt from the "Emergencies Act" regarding powers during the declaration of a public welfare emergency: 
Orders and regulations
8 (1) While a declaration of a public welfare emergency is in effect, the Governor in Council may make such orders or regulations with respect to the following matters as the Governor in Council believes, on reasonable grounds, are necessary for dealing with the emergency:
(a) the regulation or prohibition of travel to, from or within any specified area, where necessary for the protection of the health or safety of individuals;

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 23:34:18 »
Time for some gentle, good humour,

Coronavirus inside air passenger excited about Doug Ford’s cuts to public health
https://www.thebeaverton.com/2020/01/coronavirus-inside-air-passenger-excited-about-doug-fords-cuts-to-public-health/
SOMEWHERE OVER THE PACIFIC OCEAN – A Coronavirus cell incubating in an air passenger destined for Pearson International Airport is eager to exploit the many ‘efficiencies’ in the public health system thanks to Premier Doug Ford’s recent cuts.

"I prefer to travel by foot rather than ambulance services since they were cut too."

The potentially deadly virus said it always wanted to see the CN Tower, Parliament Hill, and other attractions, and have them closed to the public.

“My cousin, SARS, was able to meet so many people from Ontario back in 2003 thanks in large part to Mike Harris’ Common Sense Revolution,” said 2019-nCoV. “Too bad he missed the SARSStock. I heard the Stones were there!”

That would include shutting down the largest and busiest airport in Canada. It also happens to be the second busiest international airport in the Americas.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 00:09:25 by mariomike »

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 08:16:04 »

That would include shutting down the largest and busiest airport in Canada. It also happens to be the second busiest international airport in the Americas.

Oh well...

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 08:45:50 »

No idea where you get your stats from (other perhaps than the fact that being a Torontonian, you have an over inflated view of Toronto, like all of them  ;D), but Toronto hovers around being the 10th largest North American airport for passenger and around the 30th for cargo.

Both far from being second.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_busiest_airports_in_North_America

https://www.ttnews.com/top100/airports/2019

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 09:54:44 »

Thanks for the read. The people in the article think lockdowns will be ineffective because they don't think there is a way to enforce it. They also say that lockdowns might be effective if there can be a way to enforce it. The Wuhan lockdown is unprecedented so hard to say what kind of impact it will actually have.  If it mitigates the spread of the disease it might be useful to look at?
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 10:16:52 »
No idea where you get your stats

You seem to be looking at Domestic. My post was about International passengers.

It also happens to be the second busiest international airport in the Americas.

International Passenger Rankings
https://aci.aero/Data-Centre/Monthly-Traffic-Data/International-Passenger-Rankings/12-months/
International Passenger Traffic for past 12 months

12-MONTHS ENDING DEC 2015
 Last update : April 11, 2016
International Passengers: traffic performed between the designated airport and an airport in another country/territory.

#18 NEW YORK NY, US (JFK)

#22 TORONTO ON, CA (YYZ)

#29 MIAMI FL, US (MIA)

No other North American airports in the top 30 for international passenger traffic between the designated airport and an airport in another country/territory.

That would include shutting down the largest and busiest airport in Canada.

Toronto Pearson is Canada’s largest and busiest airport, in Canada’s largest and busiest city.
https://web.archive.org/web/20180619113054/https://www.torontopearson.com/en/AboutPearson/#

« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 10:21:36 by mariomike »

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2020, 10:34:09 »
I am not looking at either domestic nor international travellers but to the overall, all inclusive figures. And neither did you clearly make that distinction originally.

The designation of an airport as "international' or "domestic" is relating to the fact that it receives or not passenger from outside the country and therefore, is or isn't a port of entry with Border services. Using that designation in no way means that you are referring only to the figures for international passengers unless you specify.

You have now specified and I accept both the distinction and the figures you propose as correct.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2020, 11:05:27 »

The population of Wuhan is 11.08 million (2018).

The population of China is 1.386 billion (2017).

The population of The Greater Toronto Area is 6,417,516 ( 2016 ).

The population of Canada is 37.59 million (2019).

The reason I post the statistics above is to show by percentage of national population, it is a much greater challenge to "lock down" the GTA than Wuhan.

Vancouver is likely highly at risk

The Greater Vancouver area is the third-largest metropolitan area in Canada.

Lock it down too?

I accept both the distinction and the figures you propose as correct.

Thank-you.  :)

« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 11:10:02 by mariomike »

Offline Spencer100

• Rate Post

Offline CloudCover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2020, 13:46:27 »
Gosh I hope not.
... Move!! ...

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2020, 13:49:44 »
I doubt it... Coronavirii are endemic to China, leaping from animals to humans via the dinner table. Occam’s razor suggests this is probably normal virus evolution and transmission.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2020, 14:29:23 »
Just dropping this here
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/did-china-steal-coronavirus-canada-and-weaponize-it

"By Tyler Durden"

Who is "Tyler Durden"? Is that a real person?

All I could come up with was,
The Narrator is a fictional character appearing as both the central protagonist and antagonist of the 1996 Chuck Palahniuk novel Fight Club, its 1999 film adaptation of the same name, and the comic book Fight Club 2. The character has dissociative identity disorder, and is depicted as an unnamed everyman known as the Narrator during the day, while he becomes the chaotic and charismatic Tyler Durden at night during periods of insomnia.

In 2008, Tyler was selected by Empire magazine as the greatest movie character of all time. When the list was redone in 2015, he placed at number 8.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Narrator_(Fight_Club)

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2020, 14:33:53 »
Just dropping this here
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/did-china-steal-coronavirus-canada-and-weaponize-it

The source city does have a Chinese Bio pathogen research lab which opened in 2017. I have read rumors the lab is involved with the PLA to some degree which wouldn't be unlikely in China. Given Chiang's track record for hiding the truth it is very possible we are looking at a virus developed by a Chinese lab which they lost containment on.
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2020, 14:35:58 »
The CDC report I saw today is that its no different than the flu, remember to wash your hands frequently and avoid the snake burgers.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2020, 15:11:49 »
The CDC report I saw today is that its no different than the flu, remember to wash your hands frequently and avoid the snake burgers.

That's comforting.

But, just in case the situation worsens, I kept my N95 stockpile from SARS. Gloves and gowns too.

Might be time for a mid-winter Muskoka vacation. But, our neighbourhood already has the natural boundaries of a lake, a river and a pond.

Incidentally, if interested,

#coronavirustoronto
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 15:56:10 by mariomike »

Online Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2020, 18:29:03 »
A grandchild asked me why a virus that allegedly originated in China be named after a Mexican beer?
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2020, 19:02:32 »
A grandchild asked me why a virus that allegedly originated in China be named after a Mexican beer?

That's what happens when you get stuck naming a new virus on a rough Monday morning.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2020, 19:11:14 »
Just dropping this here
To use a stats analogy, correlation =/= causality.  There's a pretty big military chem lab near where these folks were poisoned, so how much does that increase the odds that something leaked out of that facility to poison them? 

Never say never, and it's interesting dots being connected, but I'll wait until someone other than this source connects the dots to trust the conclusion more. I've been wrong before, and happy to be again.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline NotSoWiseKingSolomon

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2020, 20:20:01 »
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jan/26/coronavirus-link-china-biowarfare-program-possible/

Something relating to bio-weapon. How did it escape is what I'm wondering.