Author Topic: Trump Orders USN To Destroy Iranian Gunboats  (Read 2538 times)

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Trump Orders USN To Destroy Iranian Gunboats
« on: April 22, 2020, 10:07:18 »
The IRG is now on notice.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-says-hes-instructed-navy-to-destroy-any-iranian-gunboats-harassing-us-ships

Trump says he's instructed Navy to 'destroy' any Iranian gunboats harassing US ships

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Trump Orders USN To Destroy Iranian Gunboats
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 10:08:17 »
About time.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 11:13:23 »

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Optio

Offline Baz

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 11:16:17 »
Would not conducting an exercise near their territorial waters, that included an Expeditionary Support Base with embarked ground attack helicopters, be a valid course of action to prevent harassment by them?

Offline CloudCover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 11:20:33 »
Perennially, its always a useful distraction to beat up the IRG when things don't look so good at home, and it coolant happen to more deserving people. 
... Move!! ...

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Optio

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 11:34:27 »
I agree with Baz.....
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 11:41:45 »
Not sure though if a tweet actually changes their ROEs...

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/22/trump-says-he-told-navy-to-destroy-iranian-boats-harassing-us-ships-200385

It's almost like a person can near simultaneously issue direction via the proper channels that the general public doesn't seen, and send a tweet that the public does see.

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 11:52:46 »
It's almost like a person can near simultaneously issue direction via the proper channels that the general public doesn't seen, and send a tweet that the public does see.

Except in his case he’s tweeted plenty of stuff that hasn’t been backed up by any official direction and caused confusion.

For the record, I am on board with the idea.  Long overdue.  The question is have the ROEs changed to reflect that. 
Optio

Offline Spencer100

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 14:00:20 »
Would not conducting an exercise near their territorial waters, that included an Expeditionary Support Base with embarked ground attack helicopters, be a valid course of action to prevent harassment by them?

I think ESB is what is there. The USS Lewis B Puller.  (You would think Chesty would have rated an Amphib not upfitted tanker?) Plus Bataan and Eisenhower are in the area.

This is the video I  think that started the President

https://news.usni.org/2020/04/15/video-iranian-attack-boats-harass-u-s-navy-coast-guard-vessels-in-persian-gulf

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 14:15:15 »
Except in his case he’s tweeted plenty of stuff that hasn’t been backed up by any official direction and caused confusion.

For the record, I am on board with the idea.  Long overdue.  The question is have the ROEs changed to reflect that.

If the US does ROE like we do, its classified (ours is SECRET). So we'll never know if there was official direction.

Online stellarpanther

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 14:31:15 »
Great let's start a war now to!  I'm not saying I'm supporting what Iran does but I don't think they need to start having more aggressive ROE right now.  Trump is going to do anything possible to try and shift some of the medias attention away from his shitty handling of the COVID-19 issues.

Offline Spencer100

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2020, 14:57:01 »
Great let's start a war now to!  I'm not saying I'm supporting what Iran does but I don't think they need to start having more aggressive ROE right now.  Trump is going to do anything possible to try and shift some of the medias attention away from his shitty handling of the COVID-19 issues.

I don't see that at all.  I think total opposite.  He's wanting to say to the different actors out there...The US is busy right now, don't be temped to do something or push the limits.  Same in thing the SCS and other places.  I think it is pro active. 

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2020, 14:58:49 »

One can only take so many punches to the nose before one has to strike back. Iran has been doing this to the USA for a very long time.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2020, 15:03:44 »
I think the tweet is aimed at the IRGC and the senior naval staff, you have your ROE's, but if your not sure your administration has your back, then perhaps you will interpret them cautiously. I expect the US to start firing more warning shots and eventually a small vessel is going to be sunk and they will back off for awhile. Likely they will grab some merchant ship from another nation as retaliation, as much sense as that makes... 

Offline Baz

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2020, 15:14:09 »
I think the tweet is aimed at the IRGC and the senior naval staff, you have your ROE's, but if your not sure your administration has your back, then perhaps you will interpret them cautiously. I expect the US to start firing more warning shots and eventually a small vessel is going to be sunk and they will back off for awhile. Likely they will grab some merchant ship from another nation as retaliation, as much sense as that makes...

This has been going on forever.  I was called on Guard in 2001 by an Iranian ship telling me I was operating illegally and to contact them.  We told our ship and ignored them.  Granted, we were in there TTW, but we were operating legally in a transit passage.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2020, 15:39:21 »
"I have instructed the United States Navy to shoot down and destroy any and all Iranian gunboats if they harass our ships at sea," Trump tweeted.

How do you "shoot down" a boat? ???

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2020, 15:44:36 »

This is what can happen when you let hostile small-craft too close to big navy ships.

The destroyer's rules of engagement, as approved by the Pentagon, kept her guards from firing upon the small boat (which was not known to be loaded with explosives) as it neared them without first obtaining permission from Cole's captain or another officer.

17 U.S. Navy sailors were killed and 39 injured

There are no wolves on Fenris

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2020, 15:48:18 »

You shoot a hole in it, and it goes down to the bottom of the ocean.  ;D

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 15:49:10 »
You shoot a hole in it, and it goes down to the bottom of the ocean.  ;D

Touché!  :salute:

That said, on a serious note, I'm surprised they were allowed that close.  Maybe time to take a page out of the Japanese whaling industry's play book and get some sonic disruptors, for a nice non-kinetic(ish) solution? :nod:

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2020, 16:25:00 »

The IRG have flying gun boats now...especially if they're operating in a swell.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Online stellarpanther

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2020, 17:43:42 »
This is what can happen when you let hostile small-craft too close to big navy ships.

Yes, but that didn't happen recently, why were these new ROE's not implemented then?  I think Trump is just trying to do something to deflect some of the media coverage away from COVID-19 because he doesn't have a clue what he's doing.  If this doesn't work, he'll attack Venezuela or someone else soon.  I'm serious.
I also wanted to add that he's also probably doing this to see if it can cause the price of oil to go up.

Offline NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2020, 18:03:23 »
When I was on CHA in the goo back in 2001, we had a 'OMG' moment with a bunch of small boats (I recall it being between 5-10) that were lying doggo waiting for us to approach.  They were VERY low to the water and were practically invisible to radar, and visual until they starting moving...they got to within a mile of us when they were maneuvering.

It was an...interesting watch.
Insert disclaimer statement here....

:panzer:

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2020, 19:33:41 »
Yes, but that didn't happen recently, why were these new ROE's not implemented then?  I think Trump is just trying to do something to deflect some of the media coverage away from COVID-19 because he doesn't have a clue what he's doing.  If this doesn't work, he'll attack Venezuela or someone else soon.  I'm serious.
I also wanted to add that he's also probably doing this to see if it can cause the price of oil to go up.

Stellar, you know as do others that I am no fan of the POTUS.  Maybe he is deflecting I don’t know.  But Iranian patrol boats have aggressively harrased US warships on purpose.  Countries like Iran will test the limits during chaotic times.  While COVID 19 is the main crisis, he can’t just ignore other problems that predate COVID and still continue During COVID.

I find myself defending this action.  Not everything he does is deflection but I can see why people might think it is. 
Optio

Online stellarpanther

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2020, 20:15:45 »
Stellar, you know as do others that I am no fan of the POTUS.  Maybe he is deflecting I don’t know.  But Iranian patrol boats have aggressively harrased US warships on purpose.  Countries like Iran will test the limits during chaotic times.  While COVID 19 is the main crisis, he can’t just ignore other problems that predate COVID and still continue During COVID.

I find myself defending this action.  Not everything he does is deflection but I can see why people might think it is.

You could be right and if he gave this order a few months ago I wouldn't have thought anything about it.  I'm just suspicious of everything Trump does.  Someone told they think Trump is behind this virus to help his re-election, I don't believe that but if it was ever revealed to be true, I wouldn't be surprised.  Hope I'm clear as to what I mean.