Author Topic: Troops Who Responded to COVID-19 Crisis Are Now Eligible for These Medals  (Read 1410 times)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Living the staff life
Wonder if CAF members will get anything for OP LASER?

Service members who built hospitals, ran COVID-19 test sites or participated in other missions tied to the ongoing global pandemic are now authorized to receive military awards for those operations.

Defense Department officials this week approved the Armed Forces Service Medal and Humanitarian Service Medal for troops who took part in COVID-19-related missions, officials announced on Wednesday. The medals are approved for both active-duty and Reserve troops -- including members of the National Guard -- who were tasked with responding to the coronavirus crisis.

The eligibility window applies to anyone whose mission started on Jan. 31 or later. There is no set end date, as pandemic-related missions continue.

[More on link]

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/07/02/medals-approved-troops-who-responded-covid-19-crisis.html?fbclid=IwAR2QFDBX_3ezahQCtMZucPSkLhLmCSMdt4GiV6RzPQdFghIvtnEaNEd5uaM
“If you run into an a-hole in the morning, you ran into an a-hole. If you run into a-holes all day, you're the a-hole.”

- Raylan Givens, Justified (cleaned up for content)

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Optio

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
Oh for frigs sake......I guess it can go right beside the one for being able to start a campfire.
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Oh for frigs sake......I guess it can go right beside the one for being able to start a campfire.

Hey!  I wear that on my Velcro sleeve.  With my knot tying and crossed canoe paddles.
Optio

Offline dapaterson

Halfway to being an idiot-savant.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post

"Set arctic tent on fire while refuelling Coleman stove still in his sleeping bag" appears in no investigation report ever.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
Given the high amount of reservists on that I doubt it.  Probably a nice letter. Maybe a coin.

I am involved in the H+A process at CJOC, which includes all ops, domestic and expeditionary, and have been for 3 years now.  My experience suggests that being a Reservist is considered a plus in weighing the validity of a submission.
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
I am involved in the H+A process at CJOC, which includes all ops, domestic and expeditionary, and have been for 3 years now.  My experience suggests that being a Reservist is considered a plus in weighing the validity of a submission.

Interesting;  what is the reasoning behind that? 

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
My guess would be volunteer instead of voluntold
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline X Royal

• Rate Post
That would be for an existing award.
For creating a new award or a different bar to an existing medal would be a different process.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
I could see an SSM bar potentially being created for LASER.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
I could see an SSM bar potentially being created for LASER.

Because giant forest fires, ice storms and floods are safer, right ;)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Kilted

• Rate Post
I think that if the Crown were to create a Covid related medal, they would be better off to create a generic one for everyone involved: health care workers, first responders, military, and probably a lot of other deserving people. They could also create a domestic service medal as well. We do enough domestic ops to justify it. Even if this dosent happen I could see a lot more Queens Platinum Julibee Medals being handed out across the country in 2022 then might have been under normal circumstances.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
I think that if the Crown were to create a Covid related medal, they would be better off to create a generic one for everyone involved: health care workers, first responders, military, and probably a lot of other deserving people.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 19:12:13 by mariomike »

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
I dunno;  I already not a fan of things like the 125 and Jub's;  a COVID or DomOps medal? 

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
I dunno;  I already not a fan of things like the 125 and Jub's;  a COVID or DomOps medal?

Rather a medal for 'doing something' than a medal for 'knowing someone' ;)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
Why not? If troops keep stepping up (many voluntarily) and are contributing to our national interest, directly here at home in arduous or dangerous circumstances, that seems worthy, no? We’ve given medals for less. There’s already SSM bars for a few years of Ranger work, or for Alert. We’ve had some not-very-awful-at-all deployments get gongs (Tampa, anyone?). I would say he troops going into the long term care homes (and dealing with repeated quarantines) have done some good work worthy of recognition.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
I would say he troops going into the long term care homes (and dealing with repeated quarantines) have done some good work worthy of recognition.

Thankfully, they have enough surge capacity for that. Not all organizations do: "Quarantine when you get home. See you in 12-hours." 

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
Why not? If troops keep stepping up (many voluntarily) and are contributing to our national interest, directly here at home in arduous or dangerous circumstances, that seems worthy, no? We’ve given medals for less.

The entire CAF is volunteers.   ;) 

A grenade range with recruits is also dangerous work with risks (I almost lost my head on one in the late '90s);  do we give something out now for that?  Is COVID/OP LASER the only time mbr's serve domestically "contributing to our national interest, directly here at home in arduous or dangerous circumstances"?  I think the answer to that question is an obvious "no", so why single OP LASER out? 

So, comparing it to Iraq...would the folks on LASER (LTCF) get a certain gong...and those who are 'not LTFC folks' get a different one (like the folks who go to Kuwait)?  I'm in a LASER CFTPO pos'n (not at a LTCF);  I expect nothing other than my pay for it when all is said and done. In fact...I wouldn't want to mount it.  My CD covers my LASER time.

There’s already SSM bars for a few years of Ranger work, or for Alert. We’ve had some not-very-awful-at-all deployments get gongs (Tampa, anyone?). I would say he troops going into the long term care homes (and dealing with repeated quarantines) have done some good work worthy of recognition.

I have to admit, you've got (a bit of) point there.  But I'm still not convinced, personally.  I'm also not a fan of the FORCE DEU pins, wasn't a fan of the various color Warrior Badges back in the day...

« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 10:48:02 by Eye In The Sky »