Author Topic: Bringing 'Em Back or Not? (I.D.'ed Cdn ISIS fighters, families, kids?)  (Read 50337 times)

Offline Bread Guy

• Bread Baker & Info Curator (still learning @ both)
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Re: Bringing 'Em Back or Not? (I.D.'ed Cdn ISIS fighters, families, kids?)
« Reply #250 on: November 21, 2019, 14:37:38 »
What the Brits might be doing ...
What the Brits are doing ...
The UK government is to repatriate the first British citizens from the area of north-eastern Syria formerly under the control of the Islamic State (IS) group, the BBC has learned.

For security reasons, further details of the repatriation cannot be given.

The individuals being brought out of the region will be returned to the UK in the coming days.

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said the "innocent" children should "never have been subjected to the horrors of war".

He added: "We have facilitated their return home, because it was the right thing to do.

"Now they must be allowed the privacy and given the support to return to a normal life." ...
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Bread Guy

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #251 on: November 22, 2019, 15:18:51 »
And in Holland ...
A Dutch appeals court has overturned a lower court’s order that the government must attempt to bring home children whose mothers traveled to Syria to join Islamic extremist groups.

Friday’s decision upheld the government’s appeal against that ruling. Reasons for the decision will be published next month.

Justice Minister Ferd Grapperhaus has welcomed the decision as supporting the government’s policy of not repatriating women and children from Syria if they went there to join the Islamic State group.

Grapperhaus says “these women made the choice, with or without children, to travel to IS territory and join a terrorist organization. The Cabinet will not actively bring them back from the region.”

Lawyers representing 23 women and their 56 children sought an injunction earlier this month forcing the government to repatriate them.

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Bread Guy

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
Re: Islamic Terrorism in the West ( Mega thread)
« Reply #253 on: December 06, 2019, 13:21:42 »
Canadian arrested in Turkey this summer charged with terror offences

Ikar Mao, 22, of Guelph, Ont., was detained near the Syrian border but returned to Canada in October
Katie Nicholson, Jason Ho · CBC News · Posted: Dec 06, 2019 12:16 PM ET

A Canadian man detained in Turkey this past summer and accused of having ISIS propaganda on his phone was charged by RCMP Friday with terror-related offences.

Ikar Mao, 22, of Guelph, Ont., faces one count of participation in activity of a terrorist group and one count of leaving Canada to participate in activity of a terrorist group.

Each charge carries a maximum sentence of 10 years.

In a news release, the RCMP said the charges came "following a national security investigation" by the Integrated National Security Enforcement Team in Ontario.

"I want to reassure the citizens of the Greater Toronto Area and all Canadians that our primary focus is the safety and protection of the public at all times," RCMP Chief Supt. Michael LeSage said in the release.

Couple returned to Canada in October
Turkish authorities arrested Mao and his wife near the Syrian border this past summer.

The newlywed couple were held for three months before being released and returning to Canada in October.

As CBC News first reported late Thursday, a Turkish court heard allegations that the phone belonging to Mao had received ISIS videos via Telegram, an encrypted messaging app, and that the couple left a letter for their families saying they intended to join ISIS.

The videos depict ISIS soldiers with guns espousing the militant group's propaganda, the court heard.

Records viewed by CBC News said Mao and his wife denied that they had left their families to join ISIS and told the court they just wanted to live in a Muslim country.

Mao said he hadn't intentionally sought out the videos, but that they had loaded automatically while he was surfing the internet.

In the past several weeks, Mao has been living under strict court-imposed conditions, including wearing a GPS monitor, abiding by a curfew and having limited access to the internet. Ontario Court of Justice documents cited a "fear of terrorism offence."

The case is under a publication ban, and it's not clear what evidence Canadian authorities are relying on for their case.

Mao is scheduled to appear in a court in Brampton, Ont., about 45 km northwest of Toronto, later Friday.

- - - - - - - - - -

BZ to the INSET guys on this one. Using information from foreign sources to build a case - particularly from that part of the world - is fraught with challenges, so I applaud them for getting this to the point where crown would go for it.

Now cue the usual inane stuff about $10 million, etc etc...
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Bread Guy

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #254 on: December 08, 2019, 08:03:16 »
What the Brits are doing ...
The UK government is to repatriate the first British citizens from the area of north-eastern Syria formerly under the control of the Islamic State (IS) group, the BBC has learned.

For security reasons, further details of the repatriation cannot be given.

The individuals being brought out of the region will be returned to the UK in the coming days ...
Not so fast???
Fears are growing that the Foreign Office has paved the way for British Islamic State captives held in Syria to be handed over to the regime of President Bashar al-Assad, which is accused of war crimes including mass torture and executions.

Human rights groups argue that, as they face pressure to repatriate Britons detainedin Syria, ministers’ inaction may result in the transfer of UK nationals to Assad’s forces.

The legal charity Reprieve says that differing statements from the Foreign Office indicate that the government has diluted its previous opposition to British nationals being prosecuted in Assad-controlled Syria ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Bread Guy

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #255 on: December 17, 2019, 21:34:17 »
One case ...
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said it was “too dangerous” to send in Canadian diplomats to remove four-year-old Canadian orphan Amira from the al-Hol detention camp -- after Kurdish authorities confirmed they found the child over the weekend.

In a one-on-one interview with CTV News’ Chief Anchor and Senior Editor Lisa LaFlamme, Trudeau said that he was aware of the little girl’s story, but that the safety of Canadians who work in the Middle East needs to be considered.

“Right now we've qualified it as too dangerous for Canadian officials to go into Syria and into those refugee camps,” he said.

It has been almost a year since Amira was discovered wandering alone in the Syrian town of Baghouz after her family -- Canadians who had left the country in 2014 to fight for ISIS -- were killed in an airstrike.

Amira was taken to the detention camp in northeastern Syria where she was living with a surrogate family, in a situation that Minister of Public Safety Ralph Goodale has previously called “horrendous.”

Life inside the camp is often described as desperate, with lack of water and access to medical care major concerns for the more than 11,000 foreign women and children of ISIS fighters are detained.

It is estimated that at least 33 Canadians women and children are detained in al-Hol and a second nearby camp.

Amira’s uncle and grandparents in Canada have been calling on the Canadian government to rescue the child for months -- using other countries like Sweden, Australia and France as examples of governments who have sent in personnel to extract women and children left behind after the years of war with the caliphate.

The government has previously told Amira’s family that she must undergo a DNA test to prove that she is a Canadian citizen before she can be issued travel papers -- which would take months.

This past summer Amira’s uncle, who wishes to remain anonymous, was determined to go to Syria himself to try to locate her and bring her home, but Kurdish Foreign Affairs Minister Dr. Abdulkarim Omar advised him not to travel until her location was confirmed.

This weekend, Kurdish authorities sent a message saying that Amira had finally been located.

“We informed the Canadian authorities about her whereabouts,” Omar said. “The Canadian government is aware of Amira’s situation right now.”

Canada has yet to formally request the child’s release, something her uncle is hopeful will change now that she has finally been located ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Bread Guy

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #256 on: December 18, 2019, 21:17:07 »
More on what the Brits are (at least reportedly) doing ...
A Special Air Service (SAS) team rescued three orphans born to parents fighting for the Islamic State (ISIS).

The parents of the three children had been killed during a Coalition airstrike earlier this year. The rescue operation took place sometime during the last two months. The SAS element was accompanied by a few Foreign Office personnel.

According to the British Foreign Office, more such rescues will take place in the coming weeks and months.

Since 2015, when an SAS Sabre Squadron was first deployed in Iraq to assist the U.S.-led coalition against ISIS, the British Army’s Tier One unit has suffered one fatality: In March 2018, Sergeant Matt Tonroe and Delta Force Master Sergeant John Dunbar were killed during a raid against an ISIS high-value target (HVT) in Manbij, Syria, in March of 2018. (SOFREP previously published the exclusive story behind the deaths of the two operators.) The SAS has also suffered a number of wounded operators in action during its fight against the Jihadist terrorists.

The three children rescued have been received by foster parents back in the United Kingdom. Their identities remain, and for a good reason, hidden.

European nations are still struggling to figure out what to do with their nationals, known as Foreign Terrorist Fighters (FTFs) who went off to join and fight for the Islamic State. The issue has even become a point of diplomatic tension between nations like France and Germany. U.S. President Trump has been pressing his European counterparts to assume responsibility for their nationals and take them back. But we aren’t talking about a couple of dozens of shitheads. More than 40,000 people from around the world went off to join ISIS; approximately 5,000 of them hail from Europe. The majority of those who have survived the Coalition’s raids and airstrikes are detainees in prisoner camps guarded by the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF). A lot of those camps, however, have been jeopardized by the Turkish invasion of Northern Syria, thereby bringing an additional sense of urgency to the matter.

A convenient solution to this diplomatic and political conundrum would be to strip FTFs of their citizenship. But this can only happen if they are dual-citizens, in which case it often becomes a race between the countries concerned of which will be the one that first strips the person in question of their citizenship. The British have already stripped citizenship from over 100 FTFs. The majority of the FTFs, however, have only one citizenship, muddying the waters even more ...
More @ link

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Bread Guy

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #257 on: February 27, 2020, 20:40:04 »
A bit of one Canadian's story ...
After spending two weeks in northeastern Syria, a Canadian man finally got to hold his four-year-old orphaned niece in his arms. He was able to show her pictures of her grandparents in Toronto, and then he was forced to leave the country -- without her.

(...)

Amira and her uncle had an hour together in crowded surroundings, before she was taken back to join the other children, perhaps expecting her uncle would return the next day and take her to Canada.

But that never happened.

Just days before, there had been extremely good news. At long last, Global Affairs had accepted Amira’s identity, removing the biggest obstacle in her struggle.

I won’t name the official who sent the note, but for the record, here is what she said:

“I would like to inform you that DNA testing will not be required, as the Government of Canada has now established Amira’s identity and links to Canada.”

For the family, here was the best part:

“This means that she is now eligible to receive Canadian citizenship.”

The uncle learned one crucial detail in his meetings with Kurdish officials. They told him they would be happy to release Amira, once a Canadian diplomat had travelled to the region to make a formal request.

That apparently was a red line. Canada has consistently argued the situation is too dangerous to offer consular services, even though many other countries have done exactly that.

In response to written questions, a Global Affairs spokesman told me Canada is “actively engaged on this case with local authorities,” but would not confirm Amira’s citizenship status.

“We are likewise in regular contact with the family of the child’s deceased parents and are working with them on this sensitive and complex situation -- driven by the best interests of the child.”

(...)

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Bread Guy

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Possible Kurdish solution?
Syrian Kurdish officials seem firm on moving ahead with their plans to put captured Islamic State (IS) foreign fighters on trial in Syria, despite little international support.

Nearly one year after declaring the physical defeat of IS’s so-called caliphate in eastern Syria, Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), a Kurdish-led military alliance backed by the U.S., says it is ready to try IS foreign fighters through its local judicial system.

“Since all evidences, witnesses and victims [of IS fighters] are present in our region, we have proposed to hold their trials here.” said Kamal Akif, a spokesperson for the foreign relations office at the Kurdish-led administration in northeast Syria.

“We have been discussing this issue with all sides,” he told VOA.

The SDF holds about 12,000 IS fighters, including 2,000 foreign fighters who hail from about 50 countries. There are also about 12,000 foreign women and children affiliated with the terror group that are held in detention camps in eastern Syria.

Many of the countries IS fighters come from have largely declined to take them back. Thus, the SDF hopes its new proposal would garner enough support from countries such as the U.S., France, Britain and Germany.

“So far we have received positive vibes from our international partners,” Akif said, adding that they “could soon begin practical matters” related to trying IS foreign fighters.

Other Kurdish officials have said that proceedings would get under way as soon as this month.

International reluctance

Western governments, however, have been reluctant to approve this move.

“We believe that foreign terrorist fighters need to be returned to their home countries,” Ambassador James Jeffrey, the U.S. special envoy to Syria, told reporters in February.

“The policy should be, as we have done with some eight people brought back, is to put them on trial,” he said.

A small number of Americans who had joined IS in Syria have been sent back to the U.S. to face terrorism charges, according to U.S. officials.

(...)

Despite controlling nearly one third of Syria’s territory, the SDF-led administration is not an internationally-recognized entity. And this, experts said, would perhaps make it tricky for local Kurdish authorities in northeast Syria to carry out such trials.“

What makes this even more complicated is that the SDF autonomous administration doesn’t have formal relations with the Syrian regime, which is at least recognized internationally,” said Sadradeen Kinno, a Syrian researcher specialized in Islamist militancy.

He said that “what the SDF is trying to justify is that these foreign fighters have committed crimes on Syrian territory, therefore it is totally legal to try them for such crimes inside Syria.”

But Kurdish official Akif stressed that, “We want these trials to be in accordance with international law and standards.”

For example, unlike in neighboring Iraq, the Syrian Kurdish administration said it will not impose the death penalty on IS detainees.

SDF-run courts also have been convicting Syrian IS fighters and acquitting those who were found not involved in perpetrating violent acts.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Bread Guy

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #259 on: September 30, 2020, 15:45:26 »
There was an incredible podcast called Caliphate. Ten part series or something. Went into great detail and interviews with former ISIS Canadian. Highly recommend this podcast for folks interested in the subject. Major takeaway:  proving crimes overseas is a difficult task according to canadian criminal justice standards.
Didn't know whether to put this one here, or in the Walts thread, but it appears to have come full circle ....
A Canadian whose widely-publicized account of conducting executions for ISIS fueled public outrage and debate in the House of Commons has been charged with allegedly making it up.

Shehroze Chaudhry, 25, who has portrayed himself as a former ISIS member living freely in Canada, was charged with faking his involvement in the terrorist group.

The Burlington, Ont. resident is to appear in court on Nov. 16 to face a terrorism hoax charge. Reached at work, he declined to comment.

The son of an Oakville shawarma and kabob shop owner, Chaudhry has been posting on social media and telling reporters and others since 2016 that he was a former member of the ISIS religious police in Syria.

Two sources who know him said that, under the alias Abu Huzayfah, he was the subject of the award-winning New York Times podcast Caliphate, where he described conducting public executions.

His Facebook page profile has also described him as “Abu Huzayfa” and a “mujahid” or jihadist.

RCMP spokeswoman Sgt. Lucie Lapointe also confirmed in an email sent to Global News on Friday evening that Chaudhry was the Abu Huzayfah featured in the New York Times podcast.

The charge “stems from numerous media interviews” that were “published in multiple media outlets, aired on podcasts and featured on a television documentary, raising public safety concerns amongst Canadians,” the RCMP said in a statement ...
From the Mounties ...
Following a lengthy investigation, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) O Division Integrated National Security Enforcement Team (OINSET) arrested and charged an individual today in connection with a hoax regarding terrorist activity.

The charge stems from numerous media interviews where the accused, Shehroze Chaudhry, a 25-year-old from Burlington, Ontario, claimed he travelled to Syria in 2016 to join the terrorist group ISIS and committed acts of terrorism. The interviews were published in multiple media outlets, aired on podcasts and featured on a television documentary, raising public safety concerns amongst Canadians.

Shehroze Chaudhry was charged with Hoax-Terrorist activity, contrary to section 83.231(1) of the Criminal Code. He is scheduled to appear at the Brampton (A. Grenville & William Davis) Courthouse located at 7755 Hurontario Street in Brampton, Ontario on November 16, 2020 at 09:00am, courtroom 104 ...
As always, presumed innocent until proven guilty via due process, but potentially going to jail because he (at least allegedly) pretended to be a terrorist?  The irony burns ....

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #260 on: October 01, 2020, 17:55:41 »
This looks interesting....

CHALLENGES POSED BY RETURNING FOREIGN FIGHTERS

Introduction

When the US-supported Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) recovered the last pocket of territory from under the control of the Islamic State in March 2019, the problem of how to deal with the foreign fighters who had joined IS but were now seeking to return to their countries of origin (or might do so the near future) became increasingly pressing. The issue became even more urgent following President Trump's decision to withdraw US forces from northeast Syria in October 2019, which enabled Turkey's military operation in the area. In response to this offensive, Syrian Kurds affiliated with the SDF have threatened to abandon their posts guarding ISIS detention camps. The potential escape of thousands of ISIS prisoners could create an immediate security threat to countries across the world as many of these fighters could attempt to return to their home countries and carry out terror attacks there. Finally, Turkey’s forced repatriation program, which began in November 2019, returned many ISIS foreign fighters to their home countries, including those in Western Europe. Announcing the start of this policy, Turkish interior minister Süleyman Soylu said that Turkey was “not a hotel” for Islamic State detainees from other countries.4 All of these events have forced states to deal with the challenges posed by returning foreign fighters.

https://extremism.gwu.edu/sites/g/files/zaxdzs2191/f/Challenges%20Posed%20by%20Returning%20Foreign%20Fighters.pdf
"Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men." Daniel Dravot

Offline CBH99

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #261 on: October 01, 2020, 23:41:04 »
Didn't know whether to put this one here, or in the Walts thread, but it appears to have come full circle ....From the Mounties ...As always, presumed innocent until proven guilty via due process, but potentially going to jail because he (at least allegedly) pretended to be a terrorist?  The irony burns ....

Wait...what??

This guy PRETENDED to be a member of ISIS, and made up stories of himself doing criminal acts in order to support his imaginary story??

Wtf... who WANTS members of the public to think they are a legit member of ISIS when they aren't?  **No proper emoji for the sheer confusion in my brain right now**
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #262 on: October 02, 2020, 13:05:24 »

Wait...what??

This guy PRETENDED to be a member of ISIS, and made up stories of himself doing criminal acts in order to support his imaginary story??

Wtf... who WANTS members of the public to think they are a legit member of ISIS when they aren't?  **No proper emoji for the sheer confusion in my brain right now**

Is there a Stolen Valour website for the bad guys?
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Bread Guy

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #263 on: October 02, 2020, 18:41:48 »
Is there a Stolen Valour website for the bad guys?
That's why I was torn between posting here or in the Walts/posers/wannabes thread ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Weinie

• Rate Post
« Reply #264 on: October 02, 2020, 20:19:32 »

Wait...what??

Any number of reasons why this immature phuck made this up. Cred with his buddies, street cred with potential associates, trying to get dates (lets not forget how many ladies bolted to Iraq to marry an ISIS guy), mental illness, Munchausen Syndrome, histrionic personality disorder, or trying to make money off of social media etc etc.

Nothing surprises me anymore. (Except Jennifer Aniston chose Brad Pitt over me.)
“In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it.”
– Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Offline CBH99

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #265 on: October 03, 2020, 21:18:27 »
You've still got a good chance!  She isn't with him anymore, and she's looking better than ever   8)
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Offline dapaterson

Halfway to being an idiot-savant.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #266 on: October 03, 2020, 21:26:08 »
You've still got a good chance!  She isn't with him anymore, and she's looking better than ever   8)

Except now Angelina Jolie dumped Brad as well, so poor old Weinie will be pulled in two different directions... and Charlize Theron is single, too.
Putting the *** in acerbic.

Online Bruce Monkhouse

is watching the snow melt...

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #267 on: October 04, 2020, 07:54:34 »
Isn't there a height requirement on those rides??
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline Weinie

• Rate Post
« Reply #268 on: October 04, 2020, 09:51:34 »
 :rofl:
“In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it.”
– Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Offline dapaterson

Halfway to being an idiot-savant.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #269 on: October 04, 2020, 09:59:45 »
Isn't there a height requirement on those rides??
Jennifer is 5'5", Angelina is 5'7", and Charlize is 5'10", so they all meet or exceed the minimum.
Putting the *** in acerbic.