Author Topic: Aeronautical Engineering + RMC  (Read 739 times)

Offline etou

• Rate Post
Aeronautical Engineering + RMC
« on: September 26, 2020, 21:03:32 »
Hey Guys,
I was wondering if you know what it’s like to be an aerospace engineer in the armed forces. Also, the training at RMC
I am plus a field guy, I LOVE testing things, less managing (still OK, but I hate maintenance), and I love everything there is about space, space crafts, airplanes. Right now, I'm studying to be a Mechanical Engineering Technicien at a CEGEP in Quebec, I like to get my hands dirty.
Will I be “too old” at the RMC? I will be 21 when I enter university, because of equivalences and stuff I am doing to get to Aerospace Engineering programs in Quebec (Polytechnique and Concordia) and I would love to do it in the military because we learn so many things besides aerospace engineering (I am a lifeguard, Canadian Ski Patrol Instructor, FIRST FRC robotics mentor, inspector) I love to do so many things that are not related (Mechanical engineering and lifeguards are not in the same field ;))
So, is the job more of a desk job, or, what does it look like, do you know ?
And, also, other question, will I be able to continue my Ski Patrol "hobby" during RMC (yearly 16 hours of requal + exams)

Thanks !

Offline Mirin

• Rate Post
Re: Aeronautical Engineering + RMC
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 21:11:28 »
AERE is all about management.  Project management, personnel administration, maintenance, etc.  Sorry man.  If you want to do the actual work, go NCM.

Offline etou

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 06:48:57 »
Isn't there any research and dev department ?
Yes, there will always be management in an engineer job, and project management, but isn't there a department where we innovate (like the US air force research and dev) ?, and not just maintain (like in the videos they show us)

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 08:14:14 »
The CAF/RCAF doesn’t have direct equivalents to DARPA/AFRL, per se. Any major advanced technology development (such as it is...more niche innovation, not pan-domain Aerospace/Space...think Camadarm than the whole Shuttle, etc.) happens in industry.

Offline Mirin

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 08:19:08 »
See the response to a similar question here:  https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,17133.msg1510015.html#msg1510015

Yes, these establishments exist.  The reality is you won't exclusively be doing that for your entire career.  Expect a significant amount of management with little-to-no hands-on with everything that you do.  It's a sad truth that a lot of officers have to face. 

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 11:03:32 »
See the response to a similar question here:  https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,17133.msg1510015.html#msg1510015

Yes, these establishments exist.  The reality is you won't exclusively be doing that for your entire career.  Expect a significant amount of management with little-to-no hands-on with everything that you do.  It's a sad truth that a lot of officers have to face.

Are you equating AETE, ATESS, DGAEPM, etc. with AFRL? ???   About the closest Canada has to Wright-Patt is NRC FRL.

Offline Mirin

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 11:40:05 »
The reply is for OP who I suspect is looking for at least the most technically minded postings for engineers.  These are the closest they'll get to technical engineering work without being a civilian.

Oh and OP, I'm a former officer turned public servant.  Being in the PS is by far the better way to do what you're looking for. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 11:46:46 by Mirin »

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 12:31:30 »
The reply is for OP who I suspect is looking for at least the most technically minded postings for engineers.  These are the closest they'll get to technical engineering work without being a civilian.

Seen.  I thought there was an equivalent being made with military advanced aerospace development.

Cheers
G2G