Author Topic: MCDV and Side Scan SONAR  (Read 5238 times)

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
MCDV and Side Scan SONAR
« on: March 06, 2005, 01:56:53 »
Technical question that a fixed wing flunkie such as myself has no knowledge...

There is an MCDV coming up the coast some time in the future (sorry guys, ship movements are OPSEC) to look for the Beaver float plane that went down off Campbell River, BC.  The water in that area is approx. 600' deep.  How effective is the Side Scan SONAR that our MCDVs carry (within reason - no details required) ?  I know that we had MCDVs in Lake Ontario looking for Avro Arrow models - will it be able to do the job here in BC?
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • dealing with life not that active here anymore
Re: MCDV and Side Scan SONAR
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 08:42:03 »
Well seeing how detailed the side scan details are of Halifax harbour is I would say its one of the best features of the MCDV.
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 13:48:07 »
(sorry guys, ship movements are OPSEC)

Only when it's more then 48hrs away!!

It's not my trade, so I'm not all that knowledgeable on this, but hopefully some others that I know are out there will fill in the high points (Cronicbny, I mean you...).   What I do know though is that the gear has been trialled out here (B.C.) numerous times, but most recently just a month or so ago.   And trialled successfully too.   There is also other gear that can be taken for mission-specific to aid in Route Survey, dependent on the depth, area, terrain etc.

Sorry, I know that didn't answer much...

Zoomie, can I assume that you have been part of the search so far to know about what's happening next?
So I'll raise a glass, not the first nor last, Come join me in this toast...Because the old black rum's got a hold on me ~ Great Big Sea

Offline NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 16:22:47 »
Guys,

I think this goes into "CAPABILITIES AND LIMITATIONS" discussions.  I am not sure that it is appropriate for an open forum?

NavyShooter

(283 NET(A).....)

Insert disclaimer statement here....

:panzer:

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • dealing with life not that active here anymore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 16:51:52 »
No worries its being watched.
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

Offline IN ARDUA NITOR

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 19:05:05 »
This is all open source

The 511 side scan sonar is capable of operating in upto 200m of water... so 600' fits right in there. The sonar on the 511 is generally considered one of the best on the market as far as detail goes... the exact detail level is classified, however it's comparable to commercially available units (read Klein 5500). What makes the 511 perfect for this job is it's depth capability, accuracy, and, relative platform stability (easier to use than a 200lb 5500 sonar lowered by hand off a skiff). The bottom conditions on the west coast are also quite favourable for side scan sonars.

Hopefully the results of this will prove the equipment worthwhile... the sonar has had a bad go of things in the last few years. Of course, the flip side... if it doesn't work... the Navy will look stupid. I have faith that the system will perform capably.

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 20:41:44 »
And there you have ... a wonderful summary.  Well done Cronicbny!!
Living the lean life.

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005, 20:42:20 »
Zoomie, can I assume that you have been part of the search so far to know about what's happening next?

We are kept in the proverbial loop.   RCMP is now handling the crash as a missing persons case.   More to follow once pertinent details are released officially to the public.

Thanks for the good Gen on the system Cronicbny...   It certainly seems like excellent conditions for this unit to locate any wreckage and hopefully give closure to the remaining victim's families.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

jollyjacktar

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 13:34:20 »

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 13:39:41 »
And the first one has been found.  Well done.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/avro-arrow-found-unveiling-1.4280537

I was on the original search in 2005, its amazing how far the technology has come.
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 20:41:46 »
And I ended up working at Route Survey for a year as the Side-scan SONAR tech.

Good times.

Insert disclaimer statement here....

:panzer: