Author Topic: Chinese Military,Political and Social Superthread  (Read 1359032 times)

Offline CBH99

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Chinese Military,Political and Social Superthread
« Reply #3800 on: June 28, 2020, 16:07:17 »
Agreed FJAG,

Good and bad, we are ultimately blessed to be right next door to the world's major superpower.  We all have family and friends on both sides of the border, and enjoy relatively free travel between the two.

And that was my ultimate point -- if a majority of our exports to China is food/agriculture, I'm sure we could find someone else who would happily take their place.

The world's population is swelling, and people need to eat.  I mentioned India because as another country with a population of 1 Billion+ -- could we not replace most of our exports that we have with China, yet have substantially less hassle? 

If the west helped support low-cost manufacturing in literally ANY of those other countries mentioned, I feel like we'd all be better off in the long run.  Relying on an emerging enemy as our source of a majority of our goods isn't going to pan out well in the long run, I fear.    :2c:
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Offline Weinie

• Rate Post
« Reply #3801 on: June 28, 2020, 21:06:18 »

I mentioned India because as another country with a population of 1 Billion+ -- could we not replace most of our exports that we have with China, yet have substantially less hassle? 

Perhaps the Indian government isn't interested in any increased trade with Canada, given the fact that the PM's coterie invited a convicted Sikh extremist to a reception in New Delhi.
This is a long game, and you have to build up relations that are mutually beneficial to both countries. Not sure that India sees any value in looking the other way.
Then you have Chretien, Manley, and that whole former Liberal cabal who are joined at the hip with China. What is a poor PM supposed to do?  Go China. :trainwreck:
“In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it.”
– Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #3802 on: June 29, 2020, 13:25:34 »
India does not have the robust industrial base that China has nor the other infrastructure required. Quality control in India makes China look very good. India wants to get there, but has to cross a lot of bridges to get there and some of those are heavily cluttered with systemic corruption.

Offline MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
« Reply #3803 on: June 29, 2020, 13:31:29 »
PRC continues to demonstrate it's almost no holds barred approach to matters--start of a post:

Indeed, Looks like Chicoms Working Brutally to Cleanse Xinjiang of Uyghurs

Further to this post,

Seems like Chicoms may be Working eventually to Cleanse Xinjiang of Uyghurs

we now have a major piece of reporting by the Associated Press:

China forces birth control on Muslim Uighurs to suppress population
4-year campaign in Xinjiang region is form of ‘demographic genocide,’ say some experts
https://mark3ds.wordpress.com/2020/06/29/indeed-looks-like-chicoms-working-brutally-to-cleanse-xinjiang-of-uyghurs/

Mark
Ottawa
Ça explique, mais ça n'excuse pas.

Offline dapaterson

Halfway to being an idiot-savant.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3804 on: June 29, 2020, 22:33:02 »
The Australian Broadcasting Corporation is reporting a the passage of a new Chinese national security law targeting Hong Kong.

China's parliament has passed national security legislation for Hong Kong, setting the stage for the most radical changes to the former British colony's way of life since it returned to Chinese rule almost 23 years ago.

Cable TV, citing an unidentified source, said the law was passed unanimously by the Standing Committee of China's National People's Congress.

The legislation pushes Beijing further along a collision course with the United States, Britain and other Western governments, which have said it erodes the high degree of autonomy the global financial hub was granted at its July 1, 1997 handover.

A draft of the law has yet to be published. Beijing says the law, which comes in response to last year's pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong, aims to tackle subversion, terrorism, separatism and collusion with foreign forces.

This month, China's official state agency Xinhua unveiled some of its provisions, including that it would supersede existing Hong Kong legislation and that the power of interpretation belongs to the Chinese parliament's top decision-making body, the National People's Congress Standing Committee.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-30/china-passes-new-national-security-law-for-hong-kong/12406178

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #3805 on: June 29, 2020, 23:06:38 »
The Australian Broadcasting Corporation is reporting a the passage of a new Chinese national security law targeting Hong Kong.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-30/china-passes-new-national-security-law-for-hong-kong/12406178

That's an interesting but predictable action.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3806 on: July 01, 2020, 06:11:08 »
India does not have the robust industrial base that China has nor the other infrastructure required. Quality control in India makes China look very good. India wants to get there, but has to cross a lot of bridges to get there and some of those are heavily cluttered with systemic corruption.

I agree with Colin P, but India has some advantages over China, too: mainly stronger institutions which many experts agree are the only guarantor of long term growth and prosperity.

India is corrupt, but so is China in an ever more systemic way, but reform is easier ~ institutions, again. India is also hard to govern, being a pretty solid democracy, but that, too, can be an advantage. 
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
« Reply #3807 on: July 07, 2020, 14:26:35 »
PRC wants pieces out of lots of its neighbours--major article by a retired Indian Air Force air marshal at his site, "Air Power Asia), many maps:

China’s Serious Border Disputes With Most Neighbours – Unilateral Approach – India the Bulwark – Comprehensive Story
https://airpowerasia.com/2020/07/06/chinas-serious-border-disputes-with-most-neighbours-unilateral-approach-india-the-bulwark-comprehensive-story/

UPDATE: Two maps from the article:

Mark
Ottawa
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 21:59:07 by MarkOttawa »
Ça explique, mais ça n'excuse pas.

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #3808 on: Yesterday at 13:07:46 »
I was just looking at this yesterday and came up with my own map of "China's Flash Points"  I included all of the internal civil disorders I could find since 2000 - this turned out to include a large concentration in 2008 and 2011 which coincided with the Arab Spring and the Coloured Revolutions.   I also included India-Pakistan border disputes and the Japan-Russia island disputes as related flash points.

All things considered China doesn't look particularly stable internally, its hold on the west over non-Han territories looks particularly tenuous, and it doesn't seem to have been reading much Dale Carnegie these days. 

Ambrose Evans-Pritchard felt driven to publish this in the Telegraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/07/09/britain-should-not-quake-xi-jinping-china-has-already-peaked/

The ledger is brutally clear. Xi Jinping’s regime has no allies of global economic weight or credibility.

Some 53 countries backed China’s treatment of Hong Kong in the UN Human Rights Council, a body now under the thumb of Beijing. They make up just 4pc of the world’s GDP. Most are authoritarian states and statelets locked into the neo-colonial infrastructure nexus of the Belt & Road.

The only G20 member to have lined up on China’s side (and against Britain) was Mohammad bin Salman’s Saudi Arabia, a struggling middle income autocracy running out of places to sell its excess oil.

The list offers a revealing view of the strategic order emerging in the early 2020s. The rich Western and Asian democracies, which still control the international economic system, are coalescing into a united front. China is starting to pay the exorbitant price for its wolf warrior diplomacy.

China's Allies and Enemies

The supporting countries: China, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahrain, Belarus, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Comoros, Congo-Brazzaville, Cuba, Djibouti, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Gabon, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Laos, Lebanon, Lesotho, Mauritania, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Papua New Guinea, Saudi Arabia,  Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, UAE, Venezuela, Yemen, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

The opposing countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Belize, Canada, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Iceland, Ireland, Germany, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Marshall Islands, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Palau, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, and the U.K.

Pretty much China vs the OECD.

An invasion of China is never going to be a realistic prospect.  Just as invasions of Russia, Canada, the US and India aren't in the realm of reality.  But a containment strategy - economic and military blockade along the island perimeter of the China Seas and supporting India in its territorial disputes with China and Pakistan that does seem reasonable. It also presents opportunities to assist the Uighur and the Tibetans from India and Hong Kong and Guangdong from Taiwan and Vietnam.

Blockade was the answer to the USSR.  It was also the answer to Napoleon's Europe.  It also makes it easier for me to understand why the USMC might be putting a heavy bet on Coastal Artillery in support of allies (Japan, South Korea, Republic of China (which actually has a dormant claim to a Permanent Security Council seat having been usurped by communist insurgents), Phillipines, Indonesia, Borneo, Malaysia and Vietnam.

An awful lot of places to keep China busy and frustrated.

(Can't seem to attach the map).

"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

"If change isn’t allowed to be a process, it becomes an event." - Penny Mordaunt 10/10/2019

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards” ~ Soren Kierkegaard