Author Topic: Shin Splints, Blisters, and PT [Merged]  (Read 206325 times)

Offline paracowboy

• I keep sayin' it...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Make The Voices Stop!
Re: Shin Splints, Blisters, and PT [Merged]
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2005, 09:08:55 »
tuna, skinless chicken, etc, these are wonderful if you're trying to be a bodybuilder. Unless you have some sort of eating disorder, though, they're not necessary. I eat the skin on my chicken (my blood type is KFC gravy). I don't advocate any special diets, they're fine for athletes who can watch what they intake. We are soldiers, and we eat whatever comes out of the ration box, or whatever the cook puts in front of us. (And we are thankful that we are in the Canadian Army when we do.)

MacKenzie,
just eat healthy, eat often, and take a multi-vitamin.
...time to cull the herd.

Offline rf

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2005, 21:28:22 »
Can someone who has been through the BOTP/IAP at St. Jean tell me what footwear I will be wearing to do running (my running shoes or issued boots)?  It goes without saying that marches are in boots, as is a lot of other activity, but we are told to bring two pairs of athletic shoes with us, one for outdoors and one for indoors. What is the surface for the runs (pavement, grass, snow, trails, ice?).

Cheers,
rf

Offline I_Drive_Planes

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2005, 22:14:40 »
Bring two GOOD pairs of runners, that you have ran in before (a lot).  You will be running a whole bunch on a wide variety of surfaces (I'm sure nearly everything will be there that you mentioned) , make sure that you are used to your shoes before you get there.  I never did any running in my boots when I was there. 

Planes
Fear of death will not prevent dying, but it may prevent livng

Offline SF2

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2006, 15:17:25 »
I have a tip for those who get side "stitches" or cramps while they run.
First, why do you get cramps?

If the cramp is on your right side, its most likely your liver.  Its the heaviest organ in that area, and it hangs there on ligaments attached to your diaphram.  All that a bouncing around stretches the ligaments, and it begins to hurt. 

If the cramp is on your left side, did you eat recently?  Most likely food still in your digestive tract getting sloshed around.

Here's the tip.  Exhale on the opposite side of your cramp.  So if your right side is hurting, exale when your left foot hits the ground.  Cramp on the left?  Exhale on the right foot down.

It may sound crazy, but it totally works.  Also, along with this breathing technique, try to limit the bounce in your stride during cramps.

Offline MacKenzie CS

• Rate Post
  • CPL "Hank" MacKenzie
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2006, 09:47:04 »
and trying to massage the pain away while running is pretty pointless, you only cause further irritation to the ligaments, but one thing that can help you stretch them out, is when you first start to feel them, put your hands ontop of your head and take deep breaths and exhale as Short Final explained
SIOL NA FEAR FEARAIL

Offline SF2

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2006, 22:57:21 »
You CAN place your hand into the stick....just don't massage it.  If you press into your right side, it prevents the liver from moving around.  It helps a bit.

Offline Makaveli

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2006, 15:49:57 »
Hi all, just a quick question about shin splints. I don't feel any pain in my lower leg anymore when i walk around or run up stairs or anything, I do have a bump where the pain used to be though. Is this important? The people at The Running Room told me I should roll a water bottle on my shins when I get shin splints, they said something about breaking up the lactic acid. I don't know if that has any relevancy but I thought I would mention it. I've recently picked up a brand new pair of Asics and the snow is melting so I can run on the grass now, hopefully this will keep me from getting shin splints again....Thanks  ;D

Offline William Webb Ellis

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2006, 16:06:02 »
I thought it ment that mymuscles arnt growing

No it ain't the case, if you are young you may never get DOMS.......consider yourself lucky, at 34 I get it all the time, and am expecting a new case, Sunday after the first rugby game of the season.

Take a look at this link for starters:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness

Also if you want more info on exercise this site is very detailed, you just need to dig: http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo.html

Keep on Keepin' on

Offline Johnson

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2006, 16:36:24 »
In regards to nutrition with the goal of endurance, strength and over all fitness and health in mind I would advise you to follow the Canadian food guide. http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/fg_rainbow-arc_en_ciel_ga_e.html

Of course different people will need different amounts of food. But according to the Canada food guide, you should be emphasizing grain products (5-12 servings a day) and vegetables (5-10 servings a day) with 2-3 servings of dairy(depending on age) and 2-3 servings of meat products a day. Emphasize cereals, breads, vegetables and fruit. I know its hard to eat a lot of fruit and vegetables; so instead of have some cookies or yogurt as a snack I eat an apple or have a banana or baby carrots. Pick vegetables with vribrant colours as these have the highest amount of nutrients. When choosing grain products keep in mind that one slice of bread is one serving; so if you eat a sandwich with two slices of bread - that's two servings. Stay away from white bread; choose multi-grain as often as possible. Generally, a serving is the size of your hand. Most importantly: eat a variety of foods. For example; don't strictly eat beef or chicken as your source of protien; switch it up and eat some eggs or tofu or peanut butter. Variety is key. If your looking to cut some fats out of your diet try little things like not using as many condiments, choose leaner meats, and read the label.
Hope this helped. :cdn: :salute:
"If your not falling, your not trying hard enough"

Offline paracowboy

• I keep sayin' it...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Make The Voices Stop!
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2006, 13:44:12 »
I just pruned 6 pages o' shite from this thread. If you have a valid point, please feel free to add it, but I ask that you ensure it will prove useful for the majority of readers.

If you have a question, first, for the love o' Pete, read the thread through from the beginning. If it hasn't been answered here, or in the other threads in this forum, feel free to pm me.

Thanks.

Offline Thaern

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2006, 16:35:03 »
So I've been trying like mad to break in my feet and boots before basic and after 3 laps  around my local golf course i am the proud owner of two huge blisters on each of my heels.  Now i am also an avid rower and i remember getting blisters like this on my hands before they became thick and calloused. Something I remember an old coach telling me was to soak my hands in very strong cold tea to help harden them up (he said something about the tanic acid hardening the skin like you would tan leather).  It worked quite well on my hands and i am about to try the same for my feet.  Just thought i would throw that out there and see if anyone has tried this and what results if any they have had.

"Men often speak of dying for their country, we seek those who would kill for it."

Offline paracowboy

• I keep sayin' it...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Make The Voices Stop!
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2006, 14:34:07 »
Well, nobody with any medical knowledge has stepped forward, so…
I’ve seen/heard/read of this and similar things (peeing on your feet, for instance). My own view is: while some (SOME) of the ideas behind them seem to make sense (ie, tannic acid is used to toughen hides to make footwear) there is no evidence aside from anecdotal. Folk wisdom sometimes has some very strong truths to it, but modern medical science (to the best of my knowledge) hasn’t validated any of the ones dealing with toughening the feet.

So, go ahead if you want (I’m not advocating it, but I certainly can’t stop you). The placebo effect may help you out psychologically, if nothing else. I would recommend you seek out some medical advice before you do it, though. I kind of tend to think that soaking your feet may actually be counter-productive, softening up any callus you build. But, I don’t know.

If you do try it, let us know how it turns out. If your feet turn to hamburger, it may prevent others from the same thing. If you find it works, then beauty!

Offline Hot Lips

• Lest we forget...
  • Rate Post
    • You're in the army now
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2006, 18:19:20 »
http://walking.about.com/cs/blisterschafing/a/blistersbegone_2.htm

Here's the site to support the use of tanic acid as well as advise of other ways to get feet toughened up...enjoy

HL
"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."~ Gen. Hillier - CDS

Offline Thaern

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2006, 01:47:05 »
Well i must say the tanic acid worked quite well.  Just soaking them for one day reduced all the swelling and after they dried they were pretty tough and i even managed to walk on them (in combats).  After a few treatments they turned into true callouses that got me through a 13k ruck march.  Who knows maybe in a month my feet will fall off but for now this seems to work and ill post any change that may occur.
"Men often speak of dying for their country, we seek those who would kill for it."

Offline Hot Lips

• Lest we forget...
  • Rate Post
    • You're in the army now
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2006, 09:44:25 »
http://walking.about.com/cs/blisterschafing/a/chafing.htm

Here is some info on how to avoid chafing...and what areas might become chaffed if you don't prepare.

Be well
HL
"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."~ Gen. Hillier - CDS

Offline paracowboy

• I keep sayin' it...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Make The Voices Stop!
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2006, 11:38:18 »
Who knows maybe in a month my feet will fall off but for now this seems to work and ill post any change that may occur.
Well?

Offline GaelicSoldier

• Rate Post
  • Forever let us hold our banner high!
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2006, 15:05:59 »
This may not be good for your feet, but it works for me.

I have a gravel drive way and I find it helps to walk around in bare feet on the gravel and even on the pavement.  Mind you I also look for glass and other things that could potentially cause some damage to your feet.  Walking on the the rough surfaces helps.  I've broken in my combats by running in them for roughly 15k, didn't get a single blister, and all I did was walk around bare foot for about a week and a half before.

Hope this helps.

Cheers :cheers:
And all men kill the thing they love,
By all let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word. 

O. Wilde
My founding belief:
Don't complain about something if you're not willing to do a damn thing about it.  Deas Gu Cath!

Offline Kate723

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2006, 18:13:10 »
Whether or not its good for you, walking on gravel and pavement toughened my feet up as well.
I aim to misbehave

Can't stop the signal

Offline paracowboy

• I keep sayin' it...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Make The Voices Stop!
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2006, 20:16:10 »
this should answer a lot of questions regarding the EXPRES test:

www.rmc.ca/athletics/pe/EXPRES/CF_EXPRES_Operations_Manual_e.pdf

You guys can thank Cobra-6. (And it's all avail on open-source.  It's created by, run by, and administered by, civvies. So don't even think about starting on me. You know who you are.)

Offline Thaern

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2006, 12:38:03 »
Sorry bout the Delay in re posting but i was off doing my BMQ and SQ.  So yeah my feet were more than just fine they were great and almost 100% blister free even after our ruck marches and the FTX.  The only blister i got was from walking in my civi shoes back from Cultis lake to STC/CFB Chilliwack, and that was on the top of my foot which was to be expected because i had lost my socks in the lake when someone knocked my shoes in (also therefore wet shoes).

Offline nathanvs

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2006, 03:23:32 »
Just a quick question about the tannic acid soaking method.  I realise the best source for a good soak is strong tea, but what tea specifically?  Do some types of tea have more tannic acid, or possibly no tannic acid at all?  What kind did you use Thaern?

Offline Island Ryhno

• Rate Post
  • "Tough times go away, Tough people do not"
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2006, 09:17:53 »
Just a quick question about the tannic acid soaking method.  I realise the best source for a good soak is strong tea, but what tea specifically?  Do some types of tea have more tannic acid, or possibly no tannic acid at all?  What kind did you use Thaern?

Peppermint, it'll soothe your feet at the same time.  ;)
"A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living."
-John F. Kennedy (JFK)

Offline DetectiveMcNulty

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2006, 17:10:28 »
I think I've got shin splints again, but only on one side. Is this normal, as both times I have had them, It was only on one side. I suppose taking a week or two wont hurt me too much, and I've begun all the stretching excercises...too bad really because I have time to spare due to the holidays. I guess ruckmarching is still ok with shin splints?

Offline NL_engineer

• CHIMO
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2006, 19:00:47 »
I guess ruckmarching is still ok with shin splints?

No, you should keep stretching your shins, as you are off and can.  Avoid high impact lower body pt for a few days this with the stretching should help.  Use this advise at your own risk as I am an Engineer not a Medic.
Note to any Taliban and AQ personnel on the Form:  ALL SUICIDE VESTS AND EXPLOSIVE DEVICES MUST BE TESTED TO INSURE THEY WORK BEFORE GOING AFTER A TARGET.

This is a measure to save any embarrassment that may occur when your explosive device, does not function as it is intended to.

It has come to my attention that these measures are not being followed, so for all Taliban; please refer to the above.

Thank you for your cooperation

Offline jayD

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2007, 20:55:18 »
In regards to shin splints, has anyone ever tried using a TENS machine to stimulate the muscles and help cut down on the healing process?