Author Topic: Trades OPEN / CLOSED  (Read 615278 times)

Offline malibu

• Rate Post
Trades OPEN / CLOSED
« on: December 08, 2005, 15:03:38 »
Are there any water, fuel and environmental techs on this board? I was wondering what the job was like and if you enjoyed it. What sort of taks do you undertake. Ive already read teh recruiting website many times and have taken everything that I can from their information, I'm just interested in getting more info if possible.
Thank you :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 14:39:39 by mariomike »

Offline delavan

• Rate Post
Re: water, fuels and environmental tech question.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 20:23:46 »
Not one myself, but I work with them. It all depends of where you're posted. They work at the water treatment plant, waste water treatment plant, along with the civvies. On tour, they assess the water quality, environmental assessments. They might be on hazmat teams too. Good trade when you retire too.

On some army bases, there is less work than on air force ones. They are getting promoted at a good rate.

Delavan

Offline Spr.Earl

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Grizzled Old Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 08:17:09 »
I know a few,they used to be kmown as WASPOL now they are known as WHIFE's(spellig ) Tech.'s.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 08:23:35 by Spr.Earl »
THE PRECEDING POST AND OTHERS MADE BY MYSELF ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS, NOT FOR REPRODUCTION, NOT FOR CUT AND PASTE OF ANY PORTION THEREOF, NO QUOTES ARE PERMITTED ELSEWHERE,ANYWHERE OTHER THAN EXCLUSIVELY IN THIS WEB FORUM.

UBIQUE
Be Safe

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 14:37:58 »
I know a few,they used to be kmown as WASPOL now they are known as WHIFE's(spellig ) Tech.'s.
It is WFE Tech (as per the thread title). 

We see them helping the ROWPU type 043s when we run into system problems.

Offline wadethore

• Rate Post
WFE Tech
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 10:58:13 »
Is there anyone from CFSME that can tell me a little bit about the WFE Tech DP1 course?
Is it considered tough? I know it's about 28 weeks and is held in Gagetown.  Also general
information on the trade itself.  I have visited the recruiting website but am looking for more
inside details.

Thanks

Offline wadethore

• Rate Post
WFE Tech
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 13:22:07 »
Does anyone know anything about the WFE Tech QL3? Is it considered tough?Also, can tell me anything about the trade itself ?  aside from the information on the recruiting website

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: WFE Tech
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 17:42:28 »
I'll admit it.  I had no clue what a "WFE Tech" was.  Looked it up and I know now, and for those others that didn't want to ask: Water, Fuels and Environmental Tech
So I'll raise a glass, not the first nor last, Come join me in this toast...Because the old black rum's got a hold on me ~ Great Big Sea

Offline tree hugger

• Hug a Betula allegeniensis.
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 17:48:32 »
...it's held at CFSME in Gagetown...they have a pat troop to enjoy until you get loaded on course...
Always behave like a duck.   Remain cool and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the dickens underneath.

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 19:52:15 »
Does anyone know anything about the WFE Tech QL3? Is it considered tough?Also, can tell me anything about the trade itself ?  aside from the information on the recruiting website

And according to the latest CFSME Brick the next WFE Tech Apprentice Course is slated to be offered 31-Jan-08 till 23-Jul-08 and the Journeyman Course is slated for 19-Mar-08 till 30-Jul-08.

So you gonna have a bit of a wait.

<edited to correct dates>
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 20:33:42 by Nfld Sapper »
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Grunt_031

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian WFE Tech
    • Defence Medals
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 23:41:29 »
It is mentally tough. You have to have a good grasp of Grade 12 Chemistry, Math and Physics if you have a 75%-80% average in high school you should not have a problem. Having a good knowledge of mechanical things and basic hand tools is an asset.

The first month is a brush up on on these subjects. Homework during the  course on average will run about 2-3 hours at nights and a good 8-10 hours on the weekends.There is generally 2-3 exams or PO's per week. If you fail a test it is bugger to catch up.

The water and wastewater package is taught in roughly 2-3 months and is all theory. This package is taught at NAIT and is a 2 year course. can you say fire hose of knowledge.

Some of the other subjects covered are Basic welding/brazing, pumps, water and wastewater laboratory, basic electrical, basic pluming, fire hydrants, laying of pipe and sewers, Septic Fields, Water distribution, Fuels farms, ROWPU and Mini ROWPU.

During the first month you are CB and undergo room inspection with full kit layout and weapons until the Comdt Inspection. PT depends on the course NCO and can run from Daily or three times a week.

As for holding platoon. You will generally be sent out to work at the Base Water or Wastewater treatment plant on base. If you are likely you can get sent to another base . We have one young guy sent to CFB Comox for 8 month before he got on QL3. There was another girl that was PAT and was course loaded on mine but take off two days before the course start to allow a re-muster on. She was sent away again for another year on Contact trg to await the next course.

After graduating you will be sent to a base with a water or wastewater treatment plant. During this time you must complete an OJT Package which is 4 weeks of working in water treatment plant and 8 weeks in a wastewater treatment plant plus a math package. During this time you an apprentice and you gain actual work experience. Then it is off to QL5 for another 5 Months at CFSME to be Qual a trained QL 5 Journeyman WFE Tech.

Best job and best kept secret in the military, wish I would have known about it earlier.

If there is anything else you would like to know send an  email.

Offline Harv

• Rate Post
Trades OPEN / Closed ?
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 18:29:50 »
I recently applied to the army did well on the CFAT they did my background check and everything checked out fine. Then two days before my medical they called to cancel because they're not hiring infantry right now. Has anyone else expierenced this and long did you have to wait.

Offline FromSafetyDataNOTSafe

• Rate Post
  • Bomber
    • KitBomb
Re: Not hiring infantry
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 18:41:47 »
That would be a little anger inducing, considering I just have my interview to do in a few days... which could of been done 3 weeks ago when there were still spots open and did my CFAT and medical...  ::)

Offline Neo Cortex

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 18:42:36 »
I recently applied to the army did well on the CFAT they did my background check and everything checked out fine. Then two days before my medical they called to cancel because they're not hiring infantry right now. Has anyone else expierenced this and long did you have to wait.

I was at the CFRC today and of the 6 of us doing the CFAT and/or Interview, 4 wanted Infantry as either their first or second choice. They were all told it's not opening up until April, I believe.

• Rate Post
  • Bomber
    • KitBomb
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 18:45:37 »
Wow, if that's true I'm gonna cross the border and see if THEY have any openings for a wannabe infantryman.

3 flipping weeks I've been waiting for just the interview while the infantry spots filled up... unbelievable if it turns out to be so.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 18:49:16 by erikh »

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 18:50:42 »

Regular, or Reserve?

If Reserve, what community?

Offline Neo Cortex

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 18:54:10 »
They were all Reg Force. I picked another trade entirely though, so it's second-hand information about when the Trade opens up.

It was also mentioned that both Artillery and Armoured are "red", though I'd be just as wary about trusting that as the rest of the information (the obvious issues with "a guy said another guy said his recruiter told him...")

Edit: for grammar and paragraphing.
Edit 2: To remove unnecessary quote, and to fix more grammar:)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 20:11:07 by Neo Cortex »

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 18:57:50 »
That would be a little anger inducing, considering I just have my interview to do in a few days... which could of been done 3 weeks ago when there were still spots open and did my CFAT and medical...  ::)

Uhmmm, I'm just thinking out loud here --- perhaps there were others in line to apply before you who should have thus gotten their interviews for those avail infantry posns before you?
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

• Rate Post
  • Bomber
    • KitBomb
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 19:02:43 »
I was told that the RCR filled up very fast, ~18 spots left, and that I would likely get PPCLI instead, as of July 20. Now I hear they're full? excuse me, I'm a little flipping tweaked. :rage:

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 19:07:03 »
I was told that the RCR filled up very fast, ~18 spots left, and that I would likely get PPCLI instead, as of July 20. Now I hear they're full? excuse me, I'm a little flipping tweaked. :rage:

Chill, maybe the Recruiting Centre didn't know while you were there, and even if they did, there was probably a waiting list of completed files that would have taken those slots anyway.  You will have to learn patience, no matter what army you choose to join.

Offline basrah

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 19:17:09 »
As someone serving in an infantry bn I find it hard to believe they are not hiring infantry... there are a lot of vacant spots in our unit.

For the guy who says he will go south of the border to join, I would suggest you think very long and hard about this. Think of doing your time and getting a call 7 years down the line saying you have to report back to a US base in 2 weeks or face jail time. Perhaps the stop loss program where they wont let you leave is appealing as well? Seriously, think long and hard about joining the US military, its not worth it.

For those who would consider joining their 2nd choice, tanker or artillery, also think long and hard about it. If you are really interested in being an infanteer, you are going to strongly regret your choice. Trust me, being an infanteer is worth the wait.

Push your case at the recuiting centre and tell them you are only interested in infantry and want nothing else. They may be trying to fill those red trades with those who are opting on a green one.
Get ready! Seatbelts off! Stand up! Check static line! Check your equipment! Sound off equipment check! Get ready!
GO !!!!!

MikeL

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 19:23:12 »
Wow, if that's true I'm gonna cross the border and see if THEY have any openings for a wannabe infantryman.

Yea.. its not as easy as going to the states, finding the nearest recruiter an saying you want in.  Theres a lil thing called immigration.  You must be a US Citizen or have a Green card to join, an the Military will not sponser you to get one. So unless an immediate reletive is a US Citizen or holds a Green Card you are **** Outta Luck.   

• Rate Post
  • Bomber
    • KitBomb
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 19:25:11 »
I've sat here for 3 weeks waiting for this interview that could of been done that day, only to find out that they're no longer going to hire me regardless of the interview, 2 days before I'm supposed to do it... that's just flipping great.

So I do my interview... okay, good, but we're not hiring any more foot soldiers, we may contact you next April if we don't forget about you or misplace your application... flipping fantastic.

"For the guy who says he will go south of the border to join, I would suggest you think very long and hard about this. Think of doing your time and getting a call 7 years down the line saying you have to report back to a US base in 2 weeks or face jail time. Perhaps the stop loss program where they wont let you leave is appealing as well? Seriously, think long and hard about joining the US military, its not worth it."

I just want to be a soldier. If my own country "isn't hiring" flipping infantry, and the US army will take me, I will absolutely cross the border next week and peruse that... rather than twiddle my thumbs for another 8 months. I'd rather not go that route, but I can't wait any longer. It's been long enough.

Offline Michael O'Leary

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 19:27:58 »
Why don't you go talk to the Recruiting Centre and work with facts related to your own file?  For all we know there are other issues that will hold up your file until infantry slots open up anyway.

MikeL

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 19:28:53 »
Think of doing your time and getting a call 7 years down the line saying you have to report back to a US base in 2 weeks or face jail time. Perhaps the stop loss program where they wont let you leave is appealing as well? Seriously, think long and hard about joining the US military, its not worth it.

Thats a bit extreme...  yes people have been stop lossed, but not every Soldier or Marine has been affected by it.

• Rate Post
  • Bomber
    • KitBomb
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 19:29:13 »
Yea.. its not as easy as going to the states, finding the nearest recruiter an saying you want in.  Theres a lil thing called immigration.  You must be a US Citizen or have a Green card to join, an the Military will not sponser you to get one. So unless an immediate reletive is a US Citizen or holds a Green Card you are **** Outta Luck.
I don't know about that. I've heard stories about people gaining their US citizenship by serving in Iraq. There is probably a large % of non-US citizens, from Mexico and other Central American countries, serving in a US branch of service.

I'm certainly not going to sit around for 8 more months, hoping my application isn't misplaced, when I could TRY and join as an infantryman in a US force, regardless of weather or not I actually get in, I'm not going to sit around. If they take me, even better.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 19:32:01 by erikh »