Author Topic: A lookback at Fred Fisher VC  (Read 4117 times)

Offline 54/102 CEF

• Rate Post
    • 54th Cdn Inf Bn CEF 1915-1919
A lookback at Fred Fisher VC
« on: June 03, 2008, 17:25:21 »
With all the new VC news items its time to look back at Canadian VC History

See www.cobwfa.ca FRED FISHER VC - by a former CO of The Lincoln And Welland Regiment

« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 17:29:23 by 54/102 CEF »
You can visit me when I retire to the Island of Sayonara - but if the tide goes out - you go too - OK?

Offline Dan M

• Rate Post
  • It's only with age I realize how lucky I've been.
Re: A lookback at Fred Fisher VC
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 20:23:45 »
Excellent article by Bill Smy who is, I believe, a poster on this forum.

Would that all biographies could be so well written.

Dan.
An officer in The Canadian Guards should at all times, by intelligent study, conscientious application to his work and continual observation, seek to make himself so competent, so confident and so correct in all matters connected with the Profession of Arms that if he were to state in the presence of any military audience that "Pigs have wings", he would at once be both understood and believed. The wise officer, of course, will weigh all his statements carefully before he makes them. (ASAG 1960)

Offline Dan M

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 16:44:45 »
Further to Fred Fisher's time with the 13th Battalion CEF, I noticed that the name of his Commanding Officer was Frederick Loomis.  Frederick Loomis later became a Major-General and commanded the 3rd Canadian Division during the war.

There was a fine officer of the RCR who became a Major-General also from Montreal by the name of Dan Gordon Loomis.  Would I be correct in believing that they are father and son or somehow else related?

Dan.
An officer in The Canadian Guards should at all times, by intelligent study, conscientious application to his work and continual observation, seek to make himself so competent, so confident and so correct in all matters connected with the Profession of Arms that if he were to state in the presence of any military audience that "Pigs have wings", he would at once be both understood and believed. The wise officer, of course, will weigh all his statements carefully before he makes them. (ASAG 1960)

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 16:51:15 »
Major General Dan Loomis and I worked in the same area in CFHQ when he was a senior LCol. He mentioned once that his father had been a major general.

Offline Dan M

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 09:50:05 »
Old Sweat,

Thanks for the reply.  Frederick Loomis must be Dan Loomis' father after all.

According to Dan Loomis' biography he worked as a Lieutenant-Colonel in the Directorate of Strategic Planning from February 1971 to July 1972.  Were you too a strategic planner?  Loomis was transferred there right after commanding 1RCR during the October Crisis.  Did the two of you ever discuss that?  He wrote a book about his experiences published in 1984 called 'Not Much Glory: Quelling the FLQ'.

Dan.

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 10:28:54 »
Exspy

I was the SO to the Director General Plans at the time. I never discussed the FLQ Crisis with Loomis at the time, perhaps because it was so fresh and we had other fish to fry at the time.

Sorry,

Sweatie