Author Topic: Tattoo Thread - including current policy [MERGED]  (Read 184440 times)

Offline Bianca

• Rate Post
Re: Tattoos and Piercings
« Reply #325 on: May 23, 2009, 14:30:14 »
Uh.. you can have visible tattoos in the CF.. lots of people with hand tattoos, tattoos on forearms an even full sleeves, etc.

Oops I guess I didn't finish my thought. I was going to add that if they are visible they shouldn't be offensive. (Obviously since I've seen Van Doos with their knuckles tattooed.) Sorry, still new, still learning.
Observe everything, admire nothing.

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #326 on: May 23, 2009, 14:31:57 »
Technically, you are only allowed to have your ears pierced (one only, centered in the lobe) in the military.  As far as the other piercings, you will have to remove the visible ones while in uniform.  Including the tongue.  You may not be able to see it, but some people can tell if you have one, just by the way you talk.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

MikeL

« Reply #327 on: May 23, 2009, 14:35:23 »
I didn't think I'd have too much of a problem from my tattoos.

It's more so the piercings... Like I have 8 in my ears, 1 in my tongue, 1 in my lip and 1 below the waist (I just got that one a couple days ago). The recruiters or medical staff would never know unless they gave me a full physical, however I'm not about to lie on my application.

Also, you can't really see my tongue ring unless I'm yawning or yelling, lol. And it hasn't been taken out in 4 years, but if that's the requirement while on duty then I'll take it out. As for my lip ring, is it possible to put a clear plastic one in so the hole doesn't close over??? And the one below the waist would that have to come out??

Thanks

MilitaryGirl88

If you want to join you will be giving up some of your "individualism".    You can put the clear plastic one in sure.. but if your instructors see it an they don't like it you will hear about it.. regardless if its clear or steel you are still wearing a piece of jewlerry/piercing that isn't authorized in uniform. An even you don't think your tongue ring is visible would you really want to take the chance of your staff, etc seeing it. Also again.. professionalism.. if you know you shouldn't have something in while in uniform why not just follow the rules.. makes life a bit easier especially on course.   As for the one "below the belt".. keep it in but if it gets infected during the field or whatever.. might cause issues.   

When you show up at the CFRC the Recruiters an Medical staff will be more than willing to explain the rules an pros of cons of these things.

Offline MilitaryGirl69

• militarygirl88
  • Rate Post
« Reply #328 on: May 23, 2009, 14:45:48 »
Skeletor,

I don't have a problem with giving up some of my individuality or taking out the piercings that would be more noticeable. I was just wondering if I could put the clear plastic one in my lip because I haven't had it that long and I don't want to have to re-pierce it a 3rd time, lol. And I think by the time I apply and hopefully get accepted into the military the one below the waist will be fully healed. But again, I'll take out all the piercings they tell me I have to take out, I have no intention of breaking rules as simple as this, or any for that matter.

Back to my tattoos though, I read somewhere that tattoos on the chest are not permitted?? Is that true?? 
"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
- Unknown
"It is well that war is so terrible, else we should grow too fond of it."
- General Robert E. Lee
"Paper-work will ruin any military force"
- Lieutenant General Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

MikeL

« Reply #329 on: May 23, 2009, 14:50:00 »

Back to my tattoos though, I read somewhere that tattoos on the chest are not permitted?? Is that true??

Chest tattoos are fine. I have a tattoo on my chest an my ribcage an they are all allowed.

Offline hanson1636

• Rate Post
« Reply #330 on: May 23, 2009, 14:50:20 »
  I had to take out my piercings (ears,tounge,nipples). I've never seen my dad so happy. Tounge Ring might not be noticable for some people, mine was definitly not but I would not want to be on the recieving end when instructors happened to notice it. My Tattoos are not a issue and I have full sleeve and a half sleeve on the other arm,including my hands. Losing the jewelery was a small change in life, time for me to grow up.

Offline MilitaryGirl69

• militarygirl88
  • Rate Post
« Reply #331 on: May 23, 2009, 14:54:24 »
Hmm..... Would a Canadian Military Personnel find my tattoo of the United States Marine Corps Emblem and Motto on my back offensive?? It's a memorial tattoo for friends I've lost over seas that served in the USMC.... The tattoo has the USMC Eagle Globe and Anchor with the motto "semper fi" and phrase "I love you always and forever" around it.....
- Unknown
- General Robert E. Lee

MikeL

« Reply #332 on: May 23, 2009, 14:56:59 »
No.. CF pers would not be offended by an EGA..    things like swastikas, etc are the "offensive" tattoos.

But be ready to explain that tattoo though as it will most likely draw some attention an questions.

Offline MilitaryGirl69

• militarygirl88
  • Rate Post
« Reply #333 on: May 23, 2009, 15:00:17 »
Ok, good to know.... I also have the rebel flag as a tattoo. However, I am NOT racist. I did have to explain that tattoo when I first applied years ago, I'm sure I'll have to explain the meaning behind it again.... But it shouldn't cause a problem??? It's always covered by clothing....
- Unknown
- General Robert E. Lee

MikeL

« Reply #334 on: May 23, 2009, 15:03:53 »
Ok.. I know you're anxious, nervous, etc about joining but RELAX stop sweating these things. Just wait out untill you show up at the CFRC, show them your tattoos, etc answer their questions give them your honest answers an so forth.

Theres so much better things to be thinking about an doing before enlisting like PT.. making sure you're life is shorted out so if you do get picked up an get sent off to Basic things won't fall apart back home or whatever.

Offline MilitaryGirl69

• militarygirl88
  • Rate Post
« Reply #335 on: May 23, 2009, 15:11:02 »
Thanks, Skeletor.

I have most things sorted out here in the event that I don't get accepted. And I am working on my PT, as I know I have to strengthen my ankle up again before I can re-apply, (torn ligaments).

I was just curious about the tattoos and piercings. Thanks again for you're help.

MilitaryGirl88
- Unknown
- General Robert E. Lee

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #336 on: May 23, 2009, 19:41:55 »
The regs say one stud in the centre of each lobe. That's it. No clear plastic keepers and no tongue stud.

You are joining the military. Regs are to be followed, not skirted and not open to individual interpretation.

Show your tats to the RC and ask if they think your tattoos are offensive.

The RC are the ones that are going to decide, not us. Ask them.
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline MilitaryGirl69

• militarygirl88
  • Rate Post
« Reply #337 on: May 25, 2009, 11:30:39 »
Thanks, recceguy, there wasn't any reason to be so rude.

I'm pretty sure I said I had NO problem taking out my piercings. I was merely curious as to whether or not I could keep a clear plastic one in my lip, I haven't seen anywhere in the regs that I can't.

As for my tattoos, I was just curious as to what others thought. My only tattoo of concern is my rebel flag. I know for a fact that my other tattoos are far from offensive.

MilitaryGirl88
- Unknown
- General Robert E. Lee

aesop081

« Reply #338 on: May 25, 2009, 11:38:56 »

I haven't seen anywhere in the regs that I can't.

You certainly have. The regs state one stud earing in each ear and even specify the permited location of it. That is all that is allowed. The regulations tell you what you CAN have, it doesnt need to say what you cant.

Offline Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #339 on: May 25, 2009, 12:11:19 »

??? You mistake a factual post that is straight to the point and gives you exactly the advice that you were looking for for rude? I don't see it but whatever.

I think we're done here.

Usual caveats
Be nice for no reason.

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #340 on: May 25, 2009, 16:55:45 »

MilitaryGirl88

Like Scott said. I just gave you bare facts. If you are so easily offended by straight talk that doesn't cater to your senses, you are in for a real shock when you get to training.

I certainly wasn't rude and I don't think you really want to see me rude.

Sorry for posting over the lock Scott
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline Hazard696

• Rate Post
Question about the tattoo policy.
« Reply #341 on: August 23, 2009, 08:14:22 »
I've read the FAQ and the rules about tattoos in the army, but I'm still not quite sure if my tattoo is acceptable. I have the letters "CFH" in a custom font, tattood on the inside of my upper forearm. It stands for "Cowboys From Hell" which is a heavy metal song and album title. I had this done before I thought about joining the military. From what I understand after reading the rules though, that shouldn't be a problem. But I'm slightly worried about the "Hell" part, and it being a band tattoo. I'm certain that I'd get a hard time for it regardless though, I can just imagine what my superiors would be thinking after I explained this.

If I were rejected because of this tattoo that would be extremely dissapointing, because believe it or not the tattoo does mean something to me. But if it means scraping it out of my skin with a cheese grater to get in the army, I'll do it.  >:D

:salute: :cdn:

Offline CFR FCS

• Rate Post
Re: Question about the tattoo policy.
« Reply #342 on: August 23, 2009, 08:36:42 »
It shouldn't be an issue. The CF are mostly concerned with racial or gang tattoos. The CFRC will advise you more.

You can always say the CFH stands for Canadian Forces Hopeful! :)
Those who live by the sword will be shot by those of us who have progressed.

Offline Hazard696

• Rate Post
« Reply #343 on: August 23, 2009, 08:45:53 »
It shouldn't be an issue. The CF are mostly concerned with racial or gang tattoos. The CFRC will advise you more.

Haha, well I wouldn't want to lie to them. That would slip up sooner or later for sure anyways, but thanks for your input, I think I'm in the clear I just want to see some opinions before I walked into the RC.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #344 on: August 23, 2009, 09:33:43 »

Very good!  ;D
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Retired FDO

• Rate Post
  • Swallowing the anchor after 32 years.
« Reply #345 on: August 23, 2009, 10:40:09 »
Your right, we look for tattoos that could be discriminatory or offensive. If you had Nazi or tats or something like that it would be an issue. Also we look for tats that are on your face, neck or hands. As long as they can be covered when your in 1As (Dress uniform) then your OK. Someting like the one you have won't be a problem.
A Veteran-whether active duty, retired or Reserve- is someone who at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to "The Country of Canada" for an amount of "up to and including my life"   Author Unknown

Attitude is the difference between an ordeal and an adventure

Offline NavyPhoenix

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #346 on: August 23, 2009, 12:28:30 »
Hands? That could be a problem for me.  In anticipation of joining the Navy, I advised my wife that I would not be wearing my wedding band while on board ship for safety reasons.  So we went and got wedding bands tatooed on our fingers.  They are a simple celtic knot pattern.  I guess that I could cover it up with my regular wedding band, but that would defeat the purpose of getting it in the first place.

FDO. Do you see that as an issue?

Thanks

Steve
 :cdn:

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #347 on: August 23, 2009, 12:42:44 »
Hands? That could be a problem for me.  In anticipation of joining the Navy, I advised my wife that I would not be wearing my wedding band while on board ship for safety reasons.  So we went and got wedding bands tatooed on our fingers.  They are a simple celtic knot pattern.  I guess that I could cover it up with my regular wedding band, but that would defeat the purpose of getting it in the first place.

FDO. Do you see that as an issue?

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,4024.msg686255.html#msg686255

Offline NavyPhoenix

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #348 on: August 23, 2009, 12:51:28 »
Thanks. Works for me.  Based on this information, I am good to go.

Cheers and have a great day.

Steve
 ;D :cdn:

Offline DBark

• Rate Post
CSOR tattoo policy
« Reply #349 on: January 03, 2010, 16:54:37 »
Wondering if any can shed some light on what the recruitment policies are for tattoos when applying for CSOR?

I know the usual, no hands - no face - no neck, but are the policies for CSOR a little more strict? The website doesn't even seem to touch it.

Cheers in advance!