Author Topic: Wanted: "Ultra-Light Combat Vehicle (ULCV)"  (Read 44350 times)

Offline Matt_Fisher

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Former Marine
Re: Wanted: "Ultra-Light Combat Vehicle (ULCV)"
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2017, 16:32:45 »
It seems at least two of the three 3rd battalions have the vehicle pictured in the attached file.  Does anybody know what the plan is for these?

On a related note, what sort of trade-offs are being made in going with a vehicle with this buggy look as opposed to something more like a Jeep or Iltis?  I assume it is a sacrifice of top speed, road-worthiness, and maybe range for a little better cross-country performance ... but I don't know this.

It is the MRZR-D4 (Diesel variant of the MRZR-4).  The Army purchased 36 to provide 12 for each of the light battalions as a buy and try as a means of providing an increase to soldier mobility.  How they are being employed is TBD.

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2017, 17:17:05 »
Saw them in MR17, but there was little discussion as to what they were actually being used for. I mostly saw them towing special cross country trailers, so some sort of logistical support role can be guessed at.

The DAGOR and Flyer are much bigger, seating up to 9 troops rather than the 4 in the MRZR-D4
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2017, 17:29:38 »
Used by Recce in lieu of G-Wagons (pintle mounts are available for MGs apparently).  You can rig up a stretcher to the trailer but it's pretty dinky. They top out at about 81kph and they're incredibly stable when driving cross country, quite too. Very awesome machines to drive. Maintenance wise the train the trainer people said it would be cheaper just to replace them every few years than getting parts in and fixing them.  I'm told the sticker price for the Canadian MRZR is $56'000 a unit.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2019, 12:45:36 »
Very interesting Israeli vehicle. While somewhat bigger than a "side by side" it is far more capable, having  payload capacity similar to a Ford F-250.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/car-technology/g28133562/tomcar-tx-test-drive/

Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2019, 13:21:55 »
Everything the Iltis wanted to be, but couldn't. Mind you the first mine strike causing casualties and they start piling on the armour.

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2019, 21:11:47 »
Everything the Iltis wanted to be, but couldn't. Mind you the first mine strike causing casualties and they start piling on the armour.

As an alternative to layering on armour lift the suspension and install a "V" bottom instead. Early MRAPs from South Africa were essentially Unimogs with a lift kit and V bottom welded on to the bottom.