• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2014 Ontario General Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
Infanteer said:
Maybe we treat them like fruit and rotate the stock.  No consecutive terms in office?

To me that may be one of the problems with the quality of the politicians we get..................maybe it's the wimp in me but I'm not sure I would chase after a job that, no matter how well I perform it, comes down to a popularity contest every 2 to 4 years.  [not taking a shot at democracy here, just stating how I feel]

Bruce Monkhouse said:
To me that may be one of the problems with the quality of the politicians we get..................maybe it's the wimp in me but I'm not sure I would chase after a job that, no matter how well I perform it, comes down to a popularity contest every 2 to 4 years.  [not taking a shot at democracy here, just stating how I feel]

It's more like a performance review.

dapaterson said:
It's more like a performance review.

No it's not..................many a fine politician has gone down and a clown elected because of a province/ country wide popularity competition.

I'm with Bruce on this one. The Young Dauphin cannot even define what he considers to be the "middle class" (despite being asked 3 times on three separate occasions), yet is considered to be a strong contender to become Canada's next Prime Minister.

Imagine the reaction of the press if a Conservative MP, much less a Miniater or the Prime Minister flubbed a question like that....

Infanteer said:
Maybe we treat them like fruit and rotate the stock.  No consecutive terms in office?
This also limits the competent politicians.  I know, I know...... but they're out there. Perhaps because of their competence one hears nothing about them.

I'd hate to chuck baby with bathwater on this.....

One sad sad fact in this whole good/poor/honest/crooked politician things is the voters. How many times do Canadians get snookered by emotional campaigns and rants and vote for an MP or MPP because of either their party or as Bruce said, who is more charismatic with the people. I wish people would THINK logically (turn on your Spock factor people) and not emotionally about who they vote for and why.

I think it would be great to have a tight fisted honest politician with integrity in charge of either the country or this province (ontario). Why the tight fisted? I dare any premier to lower provincial portion of the HST by 1 or 2 percent (lower taxes hopefully have a trickle on effect to the economy) and start ditching government wastefulness. We have wasted too much money on projects that go no where. We have WAY too many people employed in goverment agencies. I know first hand of a few agencies that are over staffed with people.

Also cut down on small waste. In 2012, I particpated in an Ontario Job Creation program funded by Ontario government after leaving the class B world. For about 20 of us, there was probably more than 100,000 spent on having us participate in the program for 4 months. I learned later from one of the program directors that the real "hidden" aim was not to get anybody employed in this program but for the money to be justifiably spent on a "look good" program. SERIOUSLY? This is is the kind of wastefull nonsense that needs to be eliminated from Ontario tax money getting spent. Along with Air Ambulance and failed power plants. I could only imagine the billions wasted that I know nothing about because I only witness a small fraction of the world. Sad.

Show me a politician with the BALLS to make the changes or transformation neccessary and stick to it. No vote chasing, no baffle gabbing, as JTF2 says "Deeds not words".

Another thought. I would love to see an election campaign where the candidates are not allowed to attack their opponent but instead must highlight what they and their party will do. Lets get away from voting people out of office and lets focus on voting the right party into office.

The polls, at least the ones reported here in Ottawa, by our local CTV News station, show the Conservatives out in front with a statistically significant lead over the Liberals, while the NDP is falling.

The prevailing view in Queen's Park, according to Brian Gable in the Globe and Mail is:

web-friedcar25co1.jpg

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/on-a-happier-note/article17747451/#dashboard/follows/

Given the fall in her party's declining popularity, it is not clear to me what NDP leader Andrea Horwath has to gain by voting to bring down the government. But public opinion might force Premier Wynne to go to the polls.

E.R. Campbell said:
Given the fall in her party's declining popularity, it is not clear to me what NDP leader Andrea Horwath has to gain by voting to bring down the government. But public opinion might force Premier Wynne to go to the polls.

I think the NDP outplayed themselves. On one hand they don't want election, so they'd have to prop up the Liberals again and pass the budget.

However, on the other hand, a big part of their ineffective PR campaign and slide in the polls is due to people being pissed off and tired of them propping up the (McGuinty) Wynne Liberals ( that's her cross. It's not the Wynne Liberals, everyone still sees it as the McGuinty liberals, which they equate to conniving weasles)

Their chickens have come home to roost.

Besides, the spectre and stigma of Bob Rae is still fresh in people's minds. It was austere time for Ontario when they ushered him in and he turned his back on everything his party stood for and raped Ontario.

We are back to those austere times and people won't take the chance on the NDP again, at least not this time around.

All Hudak has to do is keep his foot out of his mouth this time around. He needs his handlers to put a muzzle and leash on him.

Stop insulting weasels.

I know very little about politics in Ontario but weasels are far smarter than thse twirls and are not conniving at all.

Thank you. ;)

Jim Seggie said:
Stop insulting weasels.

I know very little about politics in Ontario but weasels are far smarter than thse twirls and are not conniving at all.

Thank you. ;)

Also vicious and not afraid to attack much bigger prey.

I don't know if the NDP, who are falling in popularity, are going to support Premier Wynne's budget but, apparently, Sid Ryan has already said, publicly, that he would rather have a corrupt Liberal government than a Hudak one. In any event, the Fraser Institute (which is not neutral) takes a look at the budget (as leaked) and reality:

BmjIYv2CQAAM1Yo.jpg

Source: http://www.fraserinstitute.org/author.aspx?id=14960&txID=2862

E.R. Campbell said:
I don't know if the NDP, who are falling in popularity, are going to support Premier Wynne's budget but, apparently, Sid Ryan has already said, publicly, that he would rather have a corrupt Liberal government than a Hudak one. In any event, the Fraser Institute (which is not neutral) takes a look at the budget (as leaked) and reality:

BmjIYv2CQAAM1Yo.jpg

Sid Ryan, long ago lost any credibility with anything he says.  He has failed repeatedly to get elected, and now just snipes from the sidelines, while collecting what I imagine is a hefty paycheque derived from union dues.  Of course he would support anyone willing to handout more money to unions.  Means more dues, means bigger payday for him. 

E.R. Campbell said:

BmjIYv2CQAAM1Yo.jpg

For comparison, here's what that would look like using Canada's latest Fiscal Monitor figures:
CanSpendingDebtSurplus.jpg

Note to Ontario:  an awful lot less deficit/credit card column in that federal graph, baby ....

Some of the highlights via Sun News

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/politics/archives/2014/05/20140501-162235.html

SUN NEWS NETWORK

TORONTO - The 2014 Ontario budget hikes taxes on smokers, high earners and high flyers.
Ontario will hit up upper-income earners for $635 million more this year, smokers for $140 million, corporations for $40 million and users of aviation fuel for $25 million.

The Liberal budget released Thursday jacks up the Personal Income Tax Rate by 1.56% on those earning more than $150,000 a year, and by 3.12% for people making more than $220,000.

Cigarette taxes going up 1.6 cents per smoke, jacking tax on a 200-cigarette carton to $27.95.

Aviation fuel taxes will soar by 248%.

The budget calls for $130.4 billion in spending on programs and debt repayment in 2014-15, up $3.4 billion from the previous year.

The revenue the treasury takes in will rise to $118.9 billion, up $3 billion, leaving a shortfall of $12.5 billion including a $1-billion reserve.

The government expects significant increases in revenue will eliminate the deficit by 2017-18.

Annual fees for paying off the province's ballooning debt will grow to $11 billion this year, $12 billion next year and $13.3 billion in 2016/17.

Net debt - the amount Ontario owes - will hit $317.2 billion in two years, which is $21,019 for every person in the province.

In 2003-04, when the Liberals came to power, the net debt was $10,971 per person.

Finance Minister Charles Sousa said 98% of Ontarians won't see their personal income taxes go up.

Sousa said he believes NDP Leader Andrea Horwath and her caucus can find good reasons to support his budget.

The minority government will be plunged into an election within a month without support from the NDP, but the object of the Liberals' affection stood them up.

Horwath was a no-show in the budget lockup - the first time veterans can remember an opposition leader blowing off the media availability.

"I'm perplexed as to why the leader of the third party would not stand before Ontarians...because this is about the well-being of Ontarians," Sousa said. "They deserve to know where (the New Democrats) are at."

PC Leader Tim Hudak said this budget is more than a fiscal document, it's about the future of the province, and Horwath should have appeared to provide her view on it.
"We're paid a good salary to make decisions and take a stance," Hudak said.

Horwath has scheduled a media conference for Friday morning to discuss the budget.

After years of flat or declining profits from beer and wine taxes, the government thinks people will be boozing it up a bit more and anticipates a $16-million increase in revenue.

The treasury is also counting on $935 million more in "sales and rentals" from its plan to "maximize" the value of Ontario Power Generation (OPG), Hydro One and the LCBO, and also the possible sale of Ontario-owned General Motors shares.

The Jobs and Prosperity Fund will allow the government to dole out $2.5 billion to select businesses over the next 10 years. A recent example is last week's $120-million grant to the country's largest software producer, OpenText.

As previously announced, the government will retire the debt retirement charge on hydro bills as of Jan. 1, 2016, but with the end of the Ontario Clean Energy Benefit, average hydro customers will pay just over $120 more a year.

There are hydro cost breaks for low income families and for industrial users.

Ontario government plans to spend more than $130 billion over 10 years on infrastructure such as roads, bridges and public transit with new borrowing, redirected taxes and proceeds from high occupancy toll lanes.

Budget highlights:

Ontario Pension Plan
New mandatory pension plan, like CPP, for more than 3 million working Ontarians

Jobs and Prosperity Fund
$2.5-billion, 10-year fund to partner with business to promote job creation

Debt Retirement Charge
Will disappear from hydro bills on Jan. 1, 2016, for savings of almost $70 a year

End of Ontario Clean Energy Benefit
Will disappear from hydro bills on Jan. 1, 2016, for added cost of $180 a year

Hydro price breaks
For low income families and industrial electricity users

Road Construction
Hwy. 407 east phase, High Occupancy Vehicle lanes on highways 10/427, widening Hwy. 401 near Cobourg, widening Hwy. 69 between Parry Sound and Sudbury, realignment of Hwy. 66 through Virginiatown, expansion of sections of highways 11/17, realignment of Hwy. 7 between Kitchener and Guelph, expansion of Hwy. 427 from Hwy. 7 to Major Mackenzie Drive

Tobacco Taxes
Up 1.6 cents per cigarette, jacking tax on a 200-cigarette carton to $27.95 from $24.70

High Income Earner Tax Increase
A Personal Income Tax hike on taxable income over $150,000

Low Income Families Boost
Tying Ontario Child Benefit to inflation, allowing more kids to access dental service and school nutrition programs, increase in social assistance

Low Income Earners Make More
Hike in child-care workers/personal support worker wages and minimum wage

Auto Insurance
Government encouraging insurance companies to offer "usage-based" rates

How to spend like drunken whores, and rob your neighbours while burning your house down, a field guide brought to you by the Ontario liberal party.  Given the way these clowns have acted over the last decade, I can't figure out if they are serious or if this is a poison pill.

The Globe and Mail is reporting that "Premier Kathleen Wynne will give NDP Leader Andrea Horwath a hard deadline to decide whether she will support this year’s budget or trigger a spring election ... the Liberals will announce the deadline – expected to be one week – later Thursday afternoon. If Ms. Horwath does not make up her mind by then, Ms. Wynne may call an election herself."

The repots says, also, that "the hardball tactic is an effort to avoid Ms. Horwath dragging out the decision to get more time in the spotlight, as happened the last two years."

Given the huge number of flights out of Pearson, that 248% rise in fuel taxes could have national impact. An across the country rise in airfares is imminent if the airlines are going to be able to afford this without making flights through Toronto prohibitive.

ModlrMike said:
Given the huge number of flights out of Pearson, that 248% rise in fuel taxes could have national impact. An across the country rise in airfares is imminent if the airlines are going to be able to afford this without making flights through Toronto prohibitive.

Don't forget about international cargo/mail.  Almost all international cargo (FedEx, DHL, UPS) and mail goes through either Vancouver or Pearson, with the bulk going through Pearson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back