• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2014 Ontario General Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dorval (oops....Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport) out of Montreal may start looking pretty good now that the PQ  are gone.....

GAP said:
Dorval (oops....Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport) out of Montreal may start looking pretty good now that the PQ  are gone.....

In theory, couple of problems 1) That airport doesn't have the necessary capacity.  Which is why Mirabel was built.  But that was too far from the city and the airlines bitched, and now most of that airport is a racetrack with some cargo flights and a helicopter manufacturer.  Pearson was basically christened the "Eastern Gateway" and as result, its capacity and infrastructure was significantly increased.  2)Airlines, particularly foreign airlines can't just pull stakes and move on whim.  Approvals for new landing slots take time. 3)Concerning cargo/mail, relocating that would necessitate relocating the CBSA personnel (among other things) at the Mississuaga Gateway facility (which also happens to be the largest in the country). 

ModlrMike said:
Given the huge number of flights out of Pearson, that 248% rise in fuel taxes could have national impact. An across the country rise in airfares is imminent if the airlines are going to be able to afford this without making flights through Toronto prohibitive.

Or Montreal become more of an Air Hub and perhaps places like Winnipeg.  Some Trans Atlantic may decide to terminate in Montreal or Halifax, while Pacific Flights will terminate in Vancouver.  Calgary and Edmonton are just as close to Europe as Toronto, perhaps even closer on the Arctic Routes.  Ontario airports may find that they have lost the International Flights and only be left with Domestic Flights to connect to International Flights flying out of other provinces.

We may not see the raise in airfare, but a very large reduction in the number of flights into and out of Ontario centers, and loss revenues.  Detroit, Buffalo and Syracuse will benefit from more Ontario residents crossing the border residents seeking cheaper airfares.

I finally figured it out.  Underpants Gnomes.  The Liberal Party of Ontario is run by Underpants Gnomes.

1. "a shortfall of $12.5 billion"
2. ???
3. "The government expects significant increases in revenue will eliminate the deficit by 2017-18."

I try to keep an open mind and am someone who watches campaigns closely.  I prefer to vote for the party with, what I think, is the best platform.  My provincial, federal and municipal votes vary and are not always linked to any political dogma nor is it consistant across those three levels of government. 

But I've made up my mind for this one.  And it isn't based on any of the party's platforms (a bit yes) or leaders (I wish we actually had real leaders in this one) or anything that has been promised.

No, my decision is based on the fact that the current government thinks I'm stupid.  It thinks it can rule with impunity and that since there are no real alternatives (I don't think there are) that they will win again.  And they might actually pull it off again.

But there is an alternative.  I'm not voting for them because they do not deserve my vote.  Neither do the others, so I will be placing my vote with the party that does not deserve my vote the less. 

This province has gone to h#ll in a hand basket economically.  The Liberals are looking corrupt and borderline criminal.  They've completely surrendered to the environmental lobby at the expense of jobs and teh economy.

But hey they are getting rid of the hydro debt repayment charge on my hydro bill but they failed to mention that the green credit on my bill expires at that time meaning I will in fact be paying more.  But they think I'm stupid.  They think that I will believe that they will get the economy running again in two years despite posting another deficit budget this year.  Right.

But what are my alternatives? 

The NDP?  Maybe as a protest vote but that party always comes third in my riding so really that wouldn't achieve much.  And besides, they've been propping the minority liberals for years for their own self interests and would rather see the province burn rather than risk the seats they have. 

The Conservatives?  They have a leadership problem.  A big one.  But at least they have somewhat of a  plan I can sort of get on board with.  Like scrapping the green energy act.  That alone will likely get my vote.  I don't buy his million jobs plan but I guess the intent is good. 

The one good thing about all of this is that I am way more invested in provincial politics than I used to be. 

So my vote is going to be a punitive one.  I'm voting more against something than for something, because really, I don't think it can get any worse under someone else...

milnews.ca said:
So, will it go to the bitter end with a vote in the Legislature, or is the Premier just going to head to the LG's office directly?

That's what she said she'd do. Straight to the LG.

She doesn't want to be seen as defeated. She wants to try spin it as "I can't believe they turned down this fantastic budget! It's time to let the citizens of Ontario decide their way ahead without the petty politics of the Opposition!"

She's probably not going to like the answer.

recceguy said:

I truly hope so.  After the last by-election in Ottawa South, my faith in the electorate went down a notch.

George Wallace said:
Or Montreal become more of an Air Hub and perhaps places like Winnipeg.  Some Trans Atlantic may decide to terminate in Montreal or Halifax, while Pacific Flights will terminate in Vancouver.  Calgary and Edmonton are just as close to Europe as Toronto, perhaps even closer on the Arctic Routes.  Ontario airports may find that they have lost the International Flights and only be left with Domestic Flights to connect to International Flights flying out of other provinces.

We may not see the raise in airfare, but a very large reduction in the number of flights into and out of Ontario centers, and loss revenues.  Detroit, Buffalo and Syracuse will benefit from more Ontario residents crossing the border residents seeking cheaper airfares.

Kinda moot now (hopefully) but like I was saying above, foriegn airlines can't switch airports on whim, the Fed's tell them where they are allowed to fly into and how often, domestic cariers have a little more flexibility.  The Fed's also basically have designated Vancouvery and Toronto as the two primary ports of entry for air cargo/mail.  Fedex actually has it's own airside terminal and processing facility, and UPS and Purolator have large facilities in the west part of Toronto to facilitate timely access to Pearson. 

But hopefully wynne is defeated and these ideas wind up in the trash where they belong.

recceguy said:
That's what she said she'd do. Straight to the LG.

She doesn't want to be seen as defeated. She wants to try spin it as "I can't believe they turned down this fantastic budget! It's time to let the citizens of Ontario decide their way ahead without the petty politics of the Opposition!"
According to Twitter, reporters say she's speaking to media 1430 Eastern.

recceguy said:
:nod:

Toronto Star Queen's Park bureau chief says ....
Premier @Kathleen_Wynne to visit LG this afternoon, dissolving legislature. June 12 election.
And they're off!

I work part time for a Helicopter company and $.04/L tax on fuel was an end to my job.

my72jeep said:
I work part time for a Helicopter company and $.04/L tax on fuel was an end to my job.

I'm pretty sure it was + &.04/L basically tripling the tax to 0.06/L.

But hey, come start a business in Ontario.  ::)

If it's anything like elections here, the governing party will bribe you.....with your money, and denigrate the opposition through attack ads.

Jim Seggie said:
If it's anything like elections here, the governing party will bribe you.....with your money, and denigrate the opposition through attack ads.

Nope they - the Ontario Liberal Party - won't do that. They have the likes of Sid Ryan and his union buddies and the Working Families Ontario to do the dirty and heavy lifting for them for free. They get to keep their hands clean.........

Sincerely
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back