• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2024 BC Election

So far it looks like the United/Independent candidates had no impact except for Vernon-Lumby in the Interior. Edit to add: same with Ladysmith-Oceanside on the Island.

The BC Conservatives appear to have done better in Surrey than anticipated.

Still way too close to call.

Last edited:
Early counts are looking like 46 NDP, 45 Conservatives, 2 Greens. The mail-in ballots may swing multiple ridings.

Too close to call as of this morning. 47 seats is a majority. NDP and Consevratives are each elected in 40 seats. Greens are elected in 2. 11 seats remain undecided. NDP leads 6, Conservatives lead 5. Some seats are so close it will come down to mail-in ballots, which counting won’t be complete until Saturday the 26th.

NDP could potentially still squeak a majority, but with two seats locked Green, a Green Kingmaker situation seems increasingly likely.

Either way, an historic result for BC Conservatives. They’re now a real contending party.

So far it looks like the United/Independent candidates had no impact except for Vernon-Lumby in the Interior. Edit to add: same with Ladysmith-Oceanside on the Island.

The independent in Ladysmith was the NDP incumbent who got kicked out of Caucus. He split some vote but NDP still took the seat handily. No impact on result.

Vernon-Lumby though- with 25 out of 26 polls counted, NDP lead by less than 400 votes, and are likely to get elected. The former BC United candidate ran as an independent and got over 4000 votes. He almost certainly split the right wing vote and cost the Conservatives the seat. We’ll see how it all shakes out, but him staying in the race as an independent, if it in fact costs the Conservatives the seat, may have cost the Conservatives the election. That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if an analysis of the final results finds other seats won by the NDP by considerably fewer votes than the margin of Conservative/former BCU vote splitting.

Just as well I didn't stay awake waiting for a conclusive result.

For the vote-splitting nerds, it's also reasonable to assume the Green vote would favour the NDP if the Green party didn't exist.

Just as well I didn't stay awake waiting for a conclusive result.

For the vote-splitting nerds, it's also reasonable to assume the Green vote would favour the NDP if the Green party didn't exist.
Yeah, probably. Good point. I just find the stubbornly lingering BCU independents and interesting dynamic; that’s probably a one-time thing, borne of not a little ill-will, that’s different from the usual existence of a few different parties. It’ll just be interesting if Conservatives failing to cut away that last anchor makes a difference.

Anything yet?

Nope. Could take weeks to get a final decision.

Regardless, BC is likely facing years of legislative uncertainty and struggle as no one party will be dominant enough to confidently drive the agenda.

Oh yay....

B.C. Election Results: Plenty of what-ifs on the road to an inconclusive result​

Vaughn Palmer: Missteps by all three major party leaders played a hand in a result that leaves people to wonder who will govern B.C.

Elections B.C. has to certify the results, including recounts.

Not likely will that be sorted out for a few days, perhaps longer.

Nope. Could take weeks to get a final decision.

Regardless, BC is likely facing years of legislative uncertainty and struggle as no one party will be dominant enough to confidently drive the agenda.

Oh yay....

B.C. Election Results: Plenty of what-ifs on the road to an inconclusive result​

Vaughn Palmer: Missteps by all three major party leaders played a hand in a result that leaves people to wonder who will govern B.C.

Elections B.C. has to certify the results, including recounts.

Not likely will that be sorted out for a few days, perhaps longer.

Where do you get weeks? I was reading Saturday.

Eby already announced that he’s in discussions with the Green Party.
…Adam Olsen, retired Green MLA, is already saying publicly that the Green’s price for supporting Eby should be an immediate amendment of the Election Act to Proportional Representation- without going to referendum (for the record, that has been defeated, twice, by referendum in BC).

So…how would an under the table rigging of the deck play, outside of Downtown Victoria/Vancouver?

…Adam Olsen, retired Green MLA, is already saying publicly that the Green’s price for supporting Eby should be an immediate amendment of the Election Act to Proportional Representation- without going to referendum (for the record, that has been defeated, twice, by referendum in BC).

So…how would an under the table rigging of the deck play, outside of Downtown Victoria/Vancouver?
Or what? They‘ll support the Conservatives? I don’t see that.

Greens have about 8% of the popular vote- meaning going to PR would likely mean no party gets a majority again in the foreseeable future. The NDP can rightly say “This has been put to the electorate twice and they said no. We have no democratic mandate to impose this, and on the contrary it would be undemocratic to do so.”

Oh, and only 98 polls still to report. I’m guessing 97 of those are mail-ins, so I take that to mean in any given riding we won’t see it change until the entirety of the outstanding mail in ballots are totaled. I don’t know if October 26th is based on ‘it’ll take us this long’ or ‘by law ballot have until the 24th to arrive by mail’. So maybe we’ll see some get counted and added to the tally in the next couple days or maybe they’re all on hold til a deadline is hit later this week? Anyone know?

Rebellion. I’ve heard Kevin Acton - an independent in Vernon Lumby who had campaign signs everywhere designed to look like he was a Conservative candidate - took so many votes that the NDP again slid in and took the riding. That’s twice in a row the PPC or Liberals (he’s a Liberal- have engaged in fishy conduct).

Back