• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aerospace Control Officers-AEC [merged]

Hi,
I have question  about SLT (FRENCH), i remember somebody saying its not required. Is it true, what if you are interested in learning french after BOTP is it possible and how to enroll, thanks

Zahoor said:
Hi,
I have question  about SLT (FRENCH), i remember somebody saying its not required. Is it true, what if you are interested in learning french after BOTP is it possible and how to enroll, thanks

You will just have to see what the military wants you to do first. If the CF has other plans for you ( like your trade courses) then it wont matter how interested you are.

Just curious if anyone knows if there is a training delay between basic and all the things you need before trades training.  Is there a backlog of people waiting for trades training in the hopper like there is for Int, or are they being loaded as they become ready after BOMQ and whatever else they may need.

There is no backlog. From the time you leave BMOQ until you qualify as a liscenced controller you will almost alwatys be actively enaged in formal training. See the first post in this thread or review this attachment.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=80860.0;attach=24913

I wouldn't consider OJT as being "actively engaged in formal training"...

Grando said:
I wouldn't consider OJT as being "actively engaged in formal training"...

Well, while on OJT you have to complete a formal OJT package and you have to complete the distance learning portion of the AEC Basic Course. I could go on, but I will conceed that in some instance there is more informal training than formal particularly if the OJT period is at all delayed from the norm.

If indeed you are on OJT, and feel less than engaged, feel free to PM your particulars and I can help you get engaged.

Hi,

Could somebody clarify if AEC is 24/7 job or 9-5 weekday job, what kind of shifts one gets and for how long e.g if i am on night shift (if there is one) then for how many weeks. Another question, between IFR and VFR which stream is best if one wants to join NAVCANADA later on.
thanks

Zahoor said:
Hi,

Could somebody clarify if AEC is 24/7 job or 9-5 weekday job, what kind of shifts one gets and for how long e.g if i am on night shift (if there is one) then for how many weeks. Another question, between IFR and VFR which stream is best if one wants to join NAVCANADA later on.
thanks

Being in the military is a 24/7 job, but I get that's not exactly what you are asking.
AEC encompasses so many different "jobs" that it would be wrong to characterise it as either shiftwork or daywork. Even within one unit you could find some AECs working shifts of varying lengths 365 days a year and others that are essentially 8-4//Mon-Fri types.
Those that work shift have their time on duty regulated. In general the more activity there is during any given period the less time will be spent on any one shift. Given this, day shifts tend to be shorter (from 6 to 8 hrs) due to the higher levels of activity. Those on night shift may be on duty for up to 16 hrs (usually 12 or less), but within that time half of it will be spent sleeping (sort of like at a firehall).

As to prospects for migrating to NAVCAN... frankly, if that is your focus I would wish for you to go give them a try first. I see NAVCAN as a job while AEC is a way of life. This aside, any military ATC training will be looked upon favourably by NAVCAN just as any NAVCAN training would be looked favourably upon seeking employment as an AEC.

Thank you very much Aerospaced-out. I guess some member of forces do transition to civi life at some point in their career and there is nothing wrong with that. I am proud to soon be a member of the Canadian Forces and optimistic that i stay in forces until my retirement. Everybody out here is supportive and great to talk to. cheers.

I want to be AEC and currently waiting to start August BMOQ, i have few questions regarding AEC training (OJT, DL and Cornwall), Any guidance will be appreciated because i really want to successfully complete the tough AEC courses. I would like to be in VFR component of AEC, 2nd choice would be IFR.

1. Would studying ATC-MANOPS and Transport Canada's Aeronautical Manual (TP14371E) hard a good idea. Also where can i get course material at this point to have a peek (at least on line) or can somebody offer me via email.
2. Should i buy some ATC simulator software and get good at traffic separation etc
3. I am from Winnipeg, after BMOQ should i ask for Winnipeg posting for OJT or is it better to pick some other base which may offer more hand on training and eventually help me in my cornwall training( keeping in mind i want to select VFR)
4. Any tip for successful AEC training
5. Finally once i am checked out, can i ask for Winnipeg posting(being hometown, would that be negative factor for 1st posting)
thanks

1. MANOPS never hurts as it is the bible for ATCers. You will use it extensively on course. With that said remember the training is set up for people with no background in aviation or ATC.
2. If you enjoy playing sims games then feel free. It can't hurt but there are no studies that show it does.
3. The general concensus is that OJT at an operational base (ie an airport) is better than not having that exposure. However, it really is dependent on the individual and their capability.
4. Be prepared to stay focused on your training. Showing up with personal issues of any kind is not a recipe for sucess.
5. You will be expected to work at the place you qualify for at least a few years. You cannot qualify ATC in Winnipeg.

Rhetorical question of the day... why do people join the military only to turn around and request to be posted back to where they just came from?

you should have plenty of time to look over manops while on OJT - between that, sim work, section and wing orders and overall observation there`s a lot to do (you just have to take it on yourself - something I didn`t realize before aerospaced smartened me up earlier in this thread)

you could memorize manops 511.1 though ;)

thanks Aerospace and Grando.
1.if one selects IFR, does it mean restricting to Montreal or Edmonton. And your job is always underground.
2. Is it true courses for VFR are lot tougher than IFR and so is checking out as VFR
3.How is moosejaw for checkout (VFR and IFR)?

Grando my MANOPS version shows on 511.1 "DF ASSISTANCE" is that what you are referring or i bet something else.

Aerospaced_out said:
Rhetorical question of the day... why do people join the military only to turn around and request to be posted back to where they just came from?
because they are new and just joined or joining (and not used to the system or yet conditioned) or some are mature with family and want to take some time for this new transition(that's me).  :nod:

1. The MAATS project died quite some time ago. ATC IFR services are not being transferred to super centres in YUL and YED.
2. No.
3. YMJ is a challenge (IFR and VFR) because of the complexity and density of traffic. It is after all one of the busiest airports in Canada. The school will not recommend to the career manger that a graduate be sent to YMJ as a first posting if it is deemed this places the student at risk for failure.
4. 511.1 is Radar Ident. Get the latest MANOPs: http://winnipeg.mil.ca/a3ar/Pubs/Publications_e.htm Moreover DF has never been in Chapter 5 so I am not sure what it is you are looking at.
5. Rhetorical: A rhetorical question is a statement given in the form of a question posed for its persuasive effect without the expectation of a reply. Rhetorical questions encourage the listener to consider the real answer. You missed the point on both accounts. Experience shows that the longer you wait to transplant a tree the harder it becomes due to the length of the roots. Enjoy your reprieve but you can expect the pain to be worse in a few years.

Zahoor said:
thanks Aerospace and Grando.
1.if one selects IFR, does it mean restricting to Montreal or Edmonton. And your job is always underground.
2. Is it true courses for VFR are lot tougher than IFR and so is checking out as VFR
3.How is moosejaw for checkout (VFR and IFR)?

Grando my MANOPS version shows on 511.1 "DF ASSISTANCE" is that what you are referring or i bet something else.
because they are new and just joined or joining (and not used to the system or yet conditioned) or some are mature with family and want to take some time for this new transition(that's me).  :nod:

Thanks aerospace for detailed reply. I am thankful first to God and then to Canada for giving me opportunity to serve this great country, Canada is my home now( i have lived here for almost 10years and still learning and don't mind it).
I found RADAR IDENT in MANOPS at 511.1 thankyou again.

I wouldn't call Moose Jaw complex.  There are two types of aircraft.  No civilians, no overflights.  The least complex of all wings actually.  Its the density of trafffic which makes it hard.

05Mountie said:
I wouldn't call Moose Jaw complex.  There are two types of aircraft.  No civilians, no overflights.  The least complex of all wings actually.  Its the density of trafffic which makes it hard.

Mountie, I just checked your posting history. In most instances where you offered an opinion or information about AEC you have been wrong, just as you are here. That you think you can offer meaningful insight into traffic levels as an untrained AEC is truly puzzling. I get that you are trying to be helpful but you really need to offer input only if you are sure it is the right information and hopefuly information based on experience.

In fact there are three airframe types in Moose Jaw (Tutor, Harvard and Hawk) and they all operate with quite different performance characteristics. Throw in that it is a training environment and the myriad of approaches that must be practiced, Moose Jaw is indeed very complex.

I may be wrong, but unfortunately it wasn't based on experience, it was based on what our instructors told us on course.

05Mountie said:
I may be wrong, but unfortunately it wasn't based on experience, it was based on what our instructors told us on course.

Like you I doubt they controlled there. Although if memory serves you are about to change that.

Back