• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Alberta Election (2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kat Stevens said:
Yup, and city folk votes are always worth twice what a country mouse's vote is worth.  We're boned.

Actually, in Canada, most rural ridings have much fewer voters than urban ridings.  Voters in rural areas have disproportionate representation; if they didn't, supply management wouldn't exist.

My point is that the cities elect these assholes, and the rural folks get to wear the shit they excrete.  Look at the map, not many NDP seats outside the urban areas.  NDPrs don't typically relate too well to people who get up early in the morning and work all day long.

Kat Stevens said:
My point is that the cities elect these assholes, and the rural folks get to wear the shit they excrete.  Look at the map, not many NDP seats outside the urban areas.  NDPrs don't typically relate too well to people who get up early in the morning and work all day long.

I recently read a study on the city of Ottawa - the rural areas get about $3 of benefits for every $1 they pay in taxes.  If rural folks don't want to deal with decisions made by urban voters, start paying your fair share...

ModlrMike said:
They've basically taken the cities. An important lesson for the National vote. According to CMHC data, roughly 78% of Canadians over 55 years of age live in urban centers.

Don't be too surprised if the NDP in Manitoba come out with a minority government next year.

The only one to blame was the PCs. They went out of their way to offend regular people.  They could have succeeded. It was like they were so determined to prove they could do whatever and no one would dare to say no. 

Those that wanted something else had no choice. Unless you could stomach the Wildrose.     

We will see what the next 4 years will hold.

Alberta Bound said:
The only one to blame was the PCs. They went out of their way to offend regular people.  They could have succeeded. It was like they were so determined to prove they could do whatever and no one would dare to say no. 

Those that wanted something else had no choice. Unless you could stomach the Wildrose.     

We will see what the next 4 years will hold.

Agreed ... and I hear, on the radio, that Jim Prentice has resigned as PC leader and as a member of the legislature: presumably he'll return to Bay Street.

It will be interesting to see what kind of NDP they grow out in Alberta: is it the destructive, Canadian Labour Congress and academic led, child of David Lewis, Mel Watkins and Jim Laxer? Or is it the socially moderate and economically prudent child of the CCF and Tommy Douglas?

With luck it will be of the Social Credit bent as well.  They were of similar line to Tommy Douglas and the CCF.  Hopefully they're not going to be like the Dexter NDP we had here, they were such a disappointment and disaster.

Good on Alberta. After 44 years it was time for a change. NDP is one heck of a change however. Total shift in the political spectrum. Would have personally leaned more to the Wildrose Party. Will be interesting.

E.R. Campbell said:
David Akin posted the final polling results on his the internet:

11206489_1135256629834012_5134714568010468835_o.jpg

Source: https://www.facebook.com/davidakin/photos/a.217367354956282.69773.217317161627968/1135256629834012/?type=1&theater

We'll see the voters' poll results in a few hours.

According to the Globe and Mail's front page banner the results were:

PC: 27.8%  Wildrose: 24.2%  Liberals: 4.2%  NDP: 40.6%  Others: 3.2%

Interesting to note too that Alberta tends to hang on to their governing parties for quite long stretches. No defeated party has later formed the government.

Source

This is the sort of result I was wishing for in the last Ontario election.  The liberals here needed to be punished by the electorate the same way Albertans punished the PCs there.  I guess Ontarians still like the Kool-Aid they've been drinking for the last little while.

ModlrMike said:
Interesting to note too that Alberta tends to hang on to their governing parties for quite long stretches. No defeated party has later formed the government.

Source

I would think that this is more of a "Protest Vote" than anything else; a cleaning of the house.  I don't think the NDP will last much longer than one term.  Don't forget, that Albertans can look to Saskatchewan and Manitoba for historical references as to how the NDP have done.

Crantor said:
This is the sort of result I was wishing for in the last Ontario election.  The liberals here needed to be punished by the electorate the same way Albertans punished the PCs there.  I guess Ontarians still like the Kool-Aid they've been drinking for the last little while.

The Teachers Union may be the first to be weened of the Wynne Government Kool-Aid.  ;D

Many people I know (personal non scientific poll) hoped for a minority NDP govt. Something for a change but without the mandate to go crazy. Integrity was a huge issue and many just felt Prentice doesn't have it.

Alberta Bound said:
Many people I know (personal non scientific poll) hoped for a minority NDP govt. Something for a change but without the mandate to go crazy. Integrity was a huge issue and many just felt Prentice doesn't have it.

As demonstrated by his petulant "I quit.  Pay for an immediate by-election in my riding, because I'm leaving and going home."

Remember when he was being touted as a replacement for Stephen Harper as he was moderate, intelligent, likeable, pick anymore adjectives you want.

It may well be that while he was attractive and extremely competent as a subordinate in the Federal cabinet, he buckled under the pressure of command.

Most interesting riding of the night has to go to Calgary-Glenmore where, after the ballots were counted:  It's a tie between the Conservatives and the NDP (7015 votes each).  Recount today, and probably a judicial recount after that...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/elections/alberta-votes/divisions/calgary-glenmore-1.3009757

Stephen Lautens on Twitter  :)

Haven't heard form my Alberta Conservative trolls this morning.
They must be out back digging up the emergency canned goods & ammo. #cdnpoli

40% can keep the NDP in power for a good long time. 

If they are smart enough to not got batshitcrazy with their policies.

And if the PCs and Wildrose want to nurse their grudges and not do a complete reorg under a completely new banner - as with the Saskatchewan Party.

In other news - the sun came up in the east this morning.

And last night was the Full Moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back