• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Alberta Election

Michael Dorosh said:
DAMMMMITTTTTT

I just checked and realized I'm in one of the three ridings that voted Liberal.  And it wasn't even close.  Needless to say, I voted PC....

Ouch...  I still maintain voter apathy hurt the PC's.  Absolutely no stats, but I can't see Calgarians electing liberals any other way..

T

The Liberals are really high on themselves right now. But in the end the only real reason they did well was because of voter apathy, I bet that in most of the ridings in Calgary alot of the voters in those ridings thought the PC's were going to be elected for sure. I can't get over what people find wrong with the province though, I think that all in all Alberta is doing alot better than the rest of Canada.

The only real time I think that I would consider voting for somebody other than the PC's is if the PC's got a poor leader.

I suspect that the Liberal gains in this election are really the result of low Tory voter turn outs. Not an increase in Liberal supporters. Everyone in Alberta knew that Klein was going to win it hands down, so why bother voting? The result is a larger percentage gain of people who voted Liberal, because every Liberal supporter knew every vote was going to count....see what happens when you're too lazy to go vote?

Oops! Just noticed your post FutureTrooper, I guess we agree on this point. ;)

Hey, don't worry aboot it, sometimes I might mirror somebody elses opinions without knowing it. But the Liberals are really cocky right now, Kevin Taft said that he's going to be the next premier handsdown next election. The thing is though Albertan's will never ever vote for a left wing party. It just won't happen in my lifetime.

"The only real time I think that I would consider voting for somebody other than the PC's is if the PC's got a poor leader"

I'm not sure how marching into a homeless shelter, heavily intoxicated no less, and telling all the persons there to get off their asses and get a job translates into leadership...

This is not to diminish the economic miracle of Alberta, but whose to say that without Klein this would not have happened?

I'm not sure how marching into a homeless shelter, heavily intoxicated no less, and telling all the persons there to get off their asses and get a job translates into leadership...

.....WHAT?.....he whom is without a single sin?....didn't realize  screwing up one time made you a bad leader....I can see a lot of resignations coming. ::)

Bruce Monkhouse said:

.....WHAT?.....he whom is without a single sin?....didn't realize   screwing up one time made you a bad leader....I can see a lot of resignations coming. ::)

Damn right, he should have had some of us march in with him.

Michael Dorosh said:
Damn right, he should have had some of us march in with him.

Between that and the comment to AISH...  I hate to say it, but all he did was reiterate what many Albertans felt.  You can't honestly get me to believe that walking downtown, you've never seen anyone sitting on a street corner begging for change, (my favourite are the squeegie kids) and not thought "lazy bastards need to get honest work...".  Abuse the system, and so shall ye be abused.

CivU - As for the leader comment, anyone who can do such things, and STILL have the majority of people respect him, and re-elect him, shows some fairly impressive leadership skills, don't you think?  ;)

T

".....WHAT?.....he whom is without a single sin?....didn't realize  screwing up one time made you a bad leader....I can see a lot of resignations coming. "

If Jack Layton were to march into a board meeting and condemn the capitalisit horde I wonder if it would so easily be forgiven and forgotten...I digress...

As for, "CivU - As for the leader comment, anyone who can do such things, and STILL have the majority of people respect him, and re-elect him, shows some fairly impressive leadership skills, don't you think? "

Absolutely, that's why I wish they were printing Clinton (Bill) for President 2008...

Absolutely, that's why I wish they were printing Clinton (Bill) for President 2008...

Should they be getting his next impeachment papers ready as well?

When their preparing Clinton's impeachment papers perhaps they should draft up George W. Bush's.

It would seem to me if oral sex is fitting such a penalty, then falsifying claims to engage in unliterial military mobilisation would be in such a category...

I thought it was a cigar.... I seem to remember having a few Dominican "Monicas" laying around!

From the accounts I've heard perhaps a cigarillo might be more appropriate than a cigar...

It would seem to me if oral sex is fitting such a penalty, then falsifying claims to engage in unliterial military mobilisation would be in such a category...

But then again how many politicians conservative and liberal lied in the United States, I think that even FDR lied a little bit in order to try to get the US to join the allies in the war against Germany [before pearl harbour]. Plus in Canada how many times did the liberal's lie, and continue to rule the country with a comfortable majority.

"continue to rule the country with a comfortable majority"

I'm not sure we were voting in the same election this past June.  Last time I checked a majority was 50% + 1...

The Liberals won a minority government under our plurality system, which means the persons with the most votes wins...while they remain comfortable they hardly represent a majority...

CivU said:
"continue to rule the country with a comfortable majority"

I'm not sure we were voting in the same election this past June.   Last time I checked a majority was 50% + 1...

The Liberals won a minority government under our plurality system, which means the persons with the most votes wins...while they remain comfortable they hardly represent a majority...

PC  61
LIB  17
NDP 4
AA  1

61 - 17 = 44

44 - 4 = 40

40 - 1 = 39

I think that they may outnumber the opposition by about 39 seats. Last time I checked a majority is when a ruling party holds more seats than all of the opposition.

What about the senatorial election? How many people voted for that? I know a lot of my friends abstained from that, and a lot of people think it's a big waste of time regardless what message it may send.

Quote from CivU,
If Jack Layton were to march into a board meeting and condemn the capitalisit horde I wonder if it would so easily be forgiven and forgotten...I digress...

CivU,
get with it sunshine, you wouldn't know leadership if it smacked ya in da head. Layton has done it, will do it again, and even though I don't like the man and the way he operates, he is a good leader. I don't want him as my leader but like you....i digress...
The difference between you and I is I can look at someone with whom I have issues and can still find qualities that I like, seems  all the people you don;t like need to be charactorly assasinated at every chance.

~RoKo~ said:
What about the senatorial election? How many people voted for that? I know a lot of my friends abstained from that, and a lot of people think it's a big waste of time regardless what message it may send.

It sure was a big waste of time, and about 3 million dollars too. I was just reading the paper and Martin said that he is not going to put any of the three people elected from Alberta into the senate. He was talking about senate reform and how if he instated these three it would not help.

Back