• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things CF98 (merged)

Aerobicrunner said:
DAOD 1002-2 is the reference that allows any individual to see their pers file informally...and,

...and nothing.

Kat laid it out for you exactly how it is in real life.

All depends on the unit too as has been stated.  I know I can go in and sign out any PER as a Master at my unit.

DM

Is there a way for me to track down the one that should have been sent to Ottawa?

There is, how long ago did the incident occur? Are you sure they were previously in your file? Were there any witness statements attached? While you're tracking down the originals, in the event you can't find them, get in touch with any original witnesses and give them the heads up you may need them to make their statement again, collect as many details now as you can remember.

The UGSO should be able to help you track it down.

Check your PMs for some more details.

The UGSO is not a guaranteed, depending on your type of organization. I am a UGSO of a Civilian dominated organization and I am not in the CF 98 CofC. I see/get the DND 663 which includes the same information and witness statements. The CF98's are sent thru the CofC and them PA to pers file and copy to the member. Another place to look is medical docs.

a Sig Op said:
There is, how long ago did the incident occur? Are you sure they were previously in your file? Were there any witness statements attached? While you're tracking down the originals, in the event you can't find them, get in touch with any original witnesses and give them the heads up you may need them to make their statement again, collect as many details now as you can remember.

Just another example of why you should always keep copies of all your docs.  You never know when a document may go missing.  If you have copies, you can always take them to your OR and correct any issues that may come up.  However, it never fails, Murphy's Law always seems to come into play that one time you forget to keep a copy and that is when something goes missing.

Hope all the advice given so far is of help to you.

Just looked at my CF98 (copied everything before it went to the OR) and the instructions say the original goes to DCSA at NDHQ. Unfortunately it doesn't give contact information, but they should archive your file there.

jedielite said:
Is there a way for me to track down the one that should have been sent to Ottawa?

Read the second page of any CF98 - there are six or seven copies that require distribution, including one copy to the member and one to his UPF. Any of the remaining sources may be of help.

Grunt_031 said:
The UGSO is not a guaranteed, depending on your type of organization. I am a UGSO of a Civilian dominated organization and I am not in the CF 98 CofC. I see/get the DND 663 which includes the same information and witness statements. The CF98's are sent thru the CofC and them PA to pers file and copy to the member. Another place to look is medical docs.

Just of note CF 98's stopped being placed on med docs back in late 90's.  They are no longer medical documents and are purely handled via adminstrative chain. Ensure if you saw a medical personnel that you have the name of who saw you before you leave the clinic to ensure proper documentation.

All CF98's are received at DCSM in Ottawa, and are entered into the Personnel Electronic Record Management Information System (PERMIS).  The data should therefore still exist.

I work across the hall from the CF98 Clerk at DCSM, and as soon as I get an answer on whom you contact to get copies, I'll let you know.

George Wallace said:
Just another example of why you should always keep copies of all your docs.  You never know when a document may go missing.  If you have copies, you can always take them to your OR and correct any issues that may come up.  However, it never fails, Murphy's Law always seems to come into play that one time you forget to keep a copy and that is when something goes missing.

:nod:  Sad but true...  DND is a big place with multiple parts who don't always know much about each other.  Once my entire med docs went missing for about a year, before a dedicated young PS employee tracked them down, in a place where they were not supposed to be.

Always, always keep a copy of any piece of paper relating to your personal administration, before you turn the original over - even if you can't think of a reason, at the moment, why it would be needed.  Some future benefit, program or course may require it.  Yes, individuals also misplace things in their own house, but if both you and the army start out with a copy, the redundancy may prove to be a huge time saver down the road.

Grunt_031 said:

Still check with the UGSO, if there was a DND663 done, you're more likely to find the missing CF98.

On the subject of safety, safety paperwork, and safety administration, I would dearly love to see the safety management course integrated into PLQ as a module, for the sake of the 3 days it would add to the course, the benefits of having all supervisors that much more familiar with the paperwork and management would pay off.

Further to my last, you can have your unit contact the DCSM CF98 Clerk at 613-996-8228.

All Reg F CF98 are scanned and entered into PERMIS, and a copy can be printed and sent back to the member.

A hard copy of all Res F CF98 are kept on file here, and a copy can also be made and sent back for the member.

I hope this helps.

Further to my last, you can have your unit contact the DCSM CF98 Clerk at 613-996-8228.

All Reg F CF98 are scanned and entered into PERMIS, and a copy can be printed and sent back to the member.

A hard copy of all Res F CF98 are kept on file here, and a copy can also be made and sent back for the member.

I hope this helps.

If it made it that far. When I took over as UGSO there where Five CF98's sitting in a old file from 10 years ago.

Hi everyone,
                I have a question that deals with CF 98 that I would appreciate if someone could answer. I want to fill out a CF 98 for something that happened in 2006. I was in a anti-tank mine explosion on Sept 1 then got wounded on Sept 4 during the friendly fire incident. I was never able to fill out a CF 98 for the Sept 1 incident because of situations on the ground and the fact that we were going into battle for OP medusa and CF 98's were not kicking around for obvious reasons. I have bad back pain and am now looking into it, besides my shrapnel wounds I would consider the incident on Sept 1 as well to be conducive to my situation and was wondering if I can still fill out a CF 98 for that particular incident. Thanks for any info.

According to the CF98 Instructions you have 14 days to fill out the paperwork, while I have not ever seen that timeline strictly enforced 7 years is pushing it.  The problem is your entire chain of command is different now  and that makes it hard for the reporting officer to make his statement and real difficult for the CO to do a summary investigation or convene a board of inquiry. 

CF 98 is an administrative form, and not a medical form.

It can and should be initiated by the chain of command if an injury happens and the member is unable to initiate.

There should be a significant amount of paper avail for you detailing injuries from those events, if you reported them at the time.

dangerboy said:
According to the CF98 Instructions you have 14 days to fill out the paperwork, while I have not ever seen that timeline strictly enforced 7 years is pushing it.  The problem is your entire chain of command is different now  and that makes it hard for the reporting officer to make his statement and real difficult for the CO to do a summary investigation or convene a board of inquiry.

Not only that, but tracking down witnesses for their statements is more difficult.

Back