• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Things Paul Franklin (merged)

From what I've read (assuming you can believe the media), it also sounds like the CF is having him share vital information and experience that could save lives in the future.

Best wishes to the family!

I was at this game, and let me tell you, the whole place stood up and I'm pretty sure the crowd decibel level could have set a record......and it continued without pause even when he exited the ice.

:salute:

"dropping the puck" has been an expression that was always associated with negative conotations.

And now, the CF has found a way of making it "POSITIVE"

I love it!

CHIMO!

Yep, Paul and Simon dropped the puck on that game.  Meanwhile, I cried behind the player's bench.  It was a great night, and it seems that we brought some more luck to the Sens.
Even more brave however was that Simon wore his Sens jersey on the train to Toronto the next day and to Rick Mercer's show that night.  He took some good natured ribbing for that one!

Quag said:
I was at this game, and let me tell you, the whole place stood up and I'm pretty sure the crowd decibel level could have set a record......and it continued without pause even when he exited the ice.

And properly so!

BZ MCpl!  :salute:

A fabulous article on Paul and his efforts to form a new organization for amputees. 

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/061111/health/health_remembrance_amputees

BZ Mcpl Franklin!

watched him get interviewed on CTV.
Impressive & well spoken

Chimo!

Paul will be on CBC in a few minutes. The "National" is doing a story on him and his family.

I watched it....it was so very inspiring, he is an example to all of us.
I found it strange that it was eluded to that he would stay in uniform and in the CF. That would be impossible unless the CF has decide to change its ways. That would be great news if they did employ him and it would change the lives of many wounded soldiers. I can only hope it is true but I fear it is just the CO giving an accommodation for a few years. Does anyone here know if the rules have changed?

MCpl Franklin...you rock, keep up the awe inspiring work you touch us all with your courage and strength :salute:

As it stands now, Paul will be "entertained" until his 10 year mark, which is in 3 years, give or take.  I do know however that as long as he wants a job, he has one.

Hmmm....
The rules do say that you can get an "accomodation" (one)

The feature on Paul's recovery and his family is available off CBC's The National site.
The story is called "A New Normal" and runs about 20 minutes.
http://www.cbc.ca/clips/rm-lo/lau-franklin061113.rm

But it's only Real video format though I think.

The Mens X-Mas Dinner for 5 Amb C was this week in Valcartier. Due to some of our members being in Afghanistan, some leaving in February and also my group in August the RSM decided the theme to this years is Afghanistan.  One of the tradition he began last year was inviting a guest to be honoured by the unit. Last year to denote the year of the veteran it was Mr. George Isabelle, a vet of WW2 and Korea. This year we had the pleasure of having Paul as our guest.

He walked in on his prosthetics and most of the troops had tears in their eyes, for four of us who have served with Paul the pride swelled. He spoke about his experiences and about what we can do as medical personnel to help our injured soldiers reintegrate. Then we all ate some great gobble-gobble... even if it was on plastic plates.

That night, the four who know Paul went to a local pub to get reaccainted (it had been a while since I did my 5s med a with Paul). The next day, Paul was a guest at Valcartiers MCpls mess where he gave the MCpls a more in depth powerpoint on what happened and also on TCCC and war injuries.

In addition to all the events, the CO of 5 Amb C announced that HSS Coy for TF 3-07 will now be called Franklin Coy in honour of Paul.

From all of us in Valcartier, we thank you very much for the visit. Those of us in the company will proudly carry your name in our hearts and yes the T-shirt will be inbound

CF Employment Equity Regulations came into force in 2002, see regs at:
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/e-5.401/SOR-2002-421/95894.html

There are personnel still serving who have Special Qualifications or skills and who have had amputations.

gunner,
While there is employment equity,  CF members in uniform also have to contend with "universality of service".  There are instances of "accomodation" but, for the most part, that's limited to one instance of accomodation.... Nothing stopping someone from being an employee of DND without being a member of the CF.
Anyone who has seen MCpl Franklin in action will acknowledge that he is doing more good in uniform than he would out of uniform... will be interesting to see how CF regs will do cartweels to deal with this one.

"up the establishment"!!!

Chimo!

geo said:
gunner,
While there is employment equity,  CF members in uniform also have to contend with "universality of service".  There are instances of "accomodation" but, for the most part, that's limited to one instance of accomodation.... Nothing stopping someone from being an employee of DND without being a member of the CF.
Anyone who has seen MCpl Franklin in action will acknowledge that he is doing more good in uniform than he would out of uniform... will be interesting to see how CF regs will do cartweels to deal with this one.

"up the establishment"!!!

Chimo!
Yes, he certainly serves as inspiration for me.  And I'm sure he can instruct medic courses or be a Motivational Speaker.  And dare I say it, A poster person for the militrary.  He has a jouie d'vivre, a fantastic outlook on life that says "I can treat this as a bad thing, or treat it as nothing and carry on with life".  I'd choose life, too.

Keep A stiff upper lip Paul.  :cdn:

I'm glad you all enjoyed the mess dinner.  Paul had a great time.  The honor of having a coy named after him... we both had tears in our eyes.  I don't think there is a higher honor that could be bestowed upon Paul.  Thank you for that and for continued support of not only Paul, but of our family.

Back